What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Iamback

Coach
Agree he deserves his spot more than Spencer right now, but in 3 years who is going to be better? 31 year old Moses or 25 year old leniu? Spencer isn’t a shiny new toy we’ve put three years of Fg into him already, he’s shown enough in that time that he’s had Bellamy, Robbo and Gus after him. if losing Moses at 28 meant we got to keep leniu for his best years I’d happily do that. There has to be some forward planning, if we keep all of these core players until they actually start to decline then we are in trouble and how many potential replacements will we lose before we get to a point that we are willing to let one or two them go?

And if Spencer can't play at the level required?

We have elite middles ( Yeo included) Spencer chose not to wait for his time,

mxlegend99

Referee
Completely untrue.

From 2020 - 2023, we've lost 22 players (that includes Critta and Spencer for next season).
Same period, Roosters have lost 25 players - which is likely to increase with guys like JWH, Tupou etc expected to either retire or be shopped around.
How many have they lost that they wanted to keep? And didn't just replace with an infinitely better player?

Ie. They 'lost' Verills. But they punted him because they had Brandon Smith. They're going to tap Daniel Tupou on the shoulder to make space for Dom Young.

Most their losses were just squad fillers outside their top 17. The top 17 guys they want to keep they do and the ones they lose they usually upgrade.

Meanwhile we are bleeding guys we would love to keep. Lose Kikau... And replace him with Garner. Lose Api. Replace with no one. Trade Staines to save a bit of cap space and take back Peachey in the process and still lose Crichton and Leniu.

There's more to the losses than the quantity.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Hate to see Spencer go, but we all forgetting our team won every comp in Rugby league last year? We develop, like we have for basically every player leaving. It hurts, but not the end of the world. Love Spencers' impact off the bench, but the team knows best, they see what happens at training, in no world close to home was he ever going to upheave Moses, if he wants some more cash and a starting spot, like Critta, thanks for the memories but i have faith in our clubs processes.

Iamback

Coach
How many have they lost that they wanted to keep? And didn't just replace with an infinitely better player?

Ie. They 'lost' Verills. But they punted him because they had Brandon Smith. They're going to tap Daniel Tupou on the shoulder to make space for Dom Young.

Most their losses were just squad fillers outside their top 17. The top 17 guys they want to keep they do and the ones they lose they usually upgrade.

Meanwhile we are bleeding guys we would love to keep. Lose Kikau... And replace him with Garner. Lose Api. Replace with no one. Trade Staines to save a bit of cap space and take back Peachey in the process and still lose Crichton and Leniu.

There's more to the losses than the quantity.

Who gets off contract there though?
We wait around

Pomoz

Bench
The club trird its best but Spencer is gone.
I would love to know what they were thinking when they decided keeping Leota and letting Spencer go is a good idea. Seriously!! Why wouldn't you tap Moses on the shoulder and ask him to move on? He could get a contract anywhere. Another club will now get to see Spencer deliver on his potential. I can't support the club on this decision. They have to get more ruthless in moving on players to make room for the stars they are creating.

I like Moses but he is nowhere near as good as Spencer and he is younger with far more football left in him. Nick Politis probably can't believe his luck that we let Spencer go. This is madness!

Bred not Bought

Juniors
A sad day for sure. Roosters was so out of left field until it was mentioned yesterday. We have to start planning ahead. See how we go 1st and after 5 rounds depending on how we going I would rotate Blacker, L.Smith and maybe Lisati for a bench spot.
Also if Luke not up to it, let's go get a hooker. (Posted with emotion)

Your mail was wrong. Dogs dropped off when Gould put that tweet out weeks ago.
The Roosters were in the frame a week ago. It was all agreed to verbally Friday night

Pomoz

Bench
Sorry, as much potential as Spencer has. The club couldn't pay overs for a bench prop. What Flegler got from the Dolphins is overs. In my opinion.
The market is too hot right now. Other clubs are offering a premium for our players.

The Roosters are ruthless. That is how they operate.

The only thing that would have kept him here would have been the love of the club and patience. Not everyone is like Luai though.
It's not about a bench prop. It's about the future and sometimes you have to make decision earlier than you want. It was time to throw Spencer in the deep end and bench Moses and tell him to start looking elsewhere. Leota is nowhere near as good as Spencer. I notice that Bellamy and Robinson aren't chasing Moses?

maple_69

Bench
Way I see it, we have James Fisher-Harris leading our pack for the next 5 years and we can't afford to pay another prop north of 500K if we want him. Leniu will be a monster in a few years, but he'll also want another upgrade when he gets there, so you probably lose him in 3 years anyway. Leota is winning us grand finals now.

Leota is a good starter but if you bring in a more steady/volume guy like Smith/Henry, Leota could do an incredible job as a 35 min impact prop.

martielang

Bench
It's not about a bench prop. It's about the future and sometimes you have to make decision earlier than you want. It was time to throw Spencer in the deep end and bench Moses and tell him to start looking elsewhere. Leota is nowhere near as good as Spencer. I notice that Bellamy and Robinson aren't chasing Moses?

You're off your head Pomoz. Moses has bided his time and is now a top 5ish prop in the game. While they play different roles, (IMO) he's been the equal to JFH over the past couple of seasons. He's also 27/28, few more good years left in him.

Girds89

Bench
Extremely disappointing...

Last year the club told us they were confident we'd keep both api and kiks...

Than Staines to save coin to keep critta and co...

Than we lost critta

Now Spencer.

Everyone saying blacker and l.smith are the obvious replacements have no idea. No one coming through atm is close to Spencer's explosive, impact and potential.

I can see us losing soro too soon no doubt.

Surely.... surely we have money???

I get Spencer left for varied reasons but this one hurts and will definitely come back to bite us!

The fans are going to need some sort of decent signing for 2024.

Im not convinced lisati has what it takes. Certainly doesn't have Spencer's talent that's for sure.

Given fish and yeo play big minutes. The fact we have l. Smith who is a big minute work horse player.. leota I think will have to becone the impact guy.

Hopefully the club has money to buy a decent 2nd rower now cause the hosking and garner buys were straight off the bottom of the barrel.

If matty Cameron is any good I want to see the next villiame kikau at Penrith. The promoting from within is great but every now and than you need to go to market and pinch a special junior like we did with kiks from the cows.

We are covered in the backs. Half's we are looking ok. Props we have cover.... 2nd row we are looking weak. And that includes mav.. let's face it other than the final series last year were he stood up he had a pretty avg year. If it wasn't for his last name there'd be no hype. He's got potential but he's certainly not a shoe in for fg.

If we have a bit of free cash.. use it to lock in a few key guys... than buy a couple absolute gun 17-19 year old 2nd rowers. Get them into our system early and hopefully get the next kikau out of them

Fangs

Coach
Gotta go for Fifita or TPJ...either of them would slot straight into a starting spot and bring impact straight away.

Fifita needs Kikau money though. Not the silly 1 million that clubs have been offering him.

I would prefer TPJ. Already here in Western Sydney. Would be a little cheaper and with Gould running the show they might even chip in some for 2024. Just a question of where he is played. Probably up in the middle in Leinu's role.

maple_69

Bench
Yeo, Edwards, Luai, Leota, Martin, May, Garner, Kenny off contract next off-season and you want to get into a bidding war over expensive impact forwards who have question marks over their attitude? We're going to keep losing quality players and we're only going to replace them with kids or journeymen with breakout potential. I don't care what the Roosters are doing, we have a model that's working for us.

Blade23

Juniors
I would love to know what they were thinking when they decided keeping Leota and letting Spencer go is a good idea. Seriously!! Why wouldn't you tap Moses on the shoulder and ask him to move on? He could get a contract anywhere. Another club will now get to see Spencer deliver on his potential. I can't support the club on this decision. They have to get more ruthless in moving on players to make room for the stars they are creating.

I like Moses but he is nowhere near as good as Spencer and he is younger with far more football left in him. Nick Politis probably can't believe his luck that we let Spencer go. This is madness!

I respectfully disagree Pomoz.

The club did everything they could to retain Spencer.
Fish and Leota are the top props here. There is no way you are going to cut their minutes or push one of them to the bench. They are both in the prime of their careers right now.

The Panthers of the past would have pushed one out, to retain the promising new talent coming through. The previous regime was good at that. Paying on promise.

"Sorry Moses but we have a younger prop possibly better than you coming through. He may be better than you in the future and will be cheaper. Should last long than you too'.
Moses: 'but i took less last time to stay here. I love this club, this is my home. I still have a year to run'
Clubs response: 'eh its business'
One could only imagine the how the playing group would have reacted if that had happened?

The clubs only option was to put forward a plan to increase Spencer's minutes. Instead of being used as a impact weapon. Which they did.

Ultimately in came down to a starting position and more money. Both options we couldn't cover at the moment. Even with the clubs plan for more minutes we couldn't get nowhere near the Roosters and the Dogs offers.

After what happened with May I am not surprised took up a handsome deal elsewhere. Careers can be short.

We have won 86% of our games since 2020. An unprecedented figure in modern times in the NRL. Rival clubs have and are going to come after our players. They all want a piece of our success.

globalpanther

Juniors
Extremely disappointing...

Last year the club told us they were confident we'd keep both api and kiks...

Than Staines to save coin to keep critta and co...

Than we lost critta

Now Spencer.

Everyone saying blacker and l.smith are the obvious replacements have no idea. No one coming through atm is close to Spencer's explosive, impact and potential.

I can see us losing soro too soon no doubt.

Surely.... surely we have money???

I get Spencer left for varied reasons but this one hurts and will definitely come back to bite us!

The fans are going to need some sort of decent signing for 2024.

Im not convinced lisati has what it takes. Certainly doesn't have Spencer's talent that's for sure.

Given fish and yeo play big minutes. The fact we have l. Smith who is a big minute work horse player.. leota I think will have to becone the impact guy.

Hopefully the club has money to buy a decent 2nd rower now cause the hosking and garner buys were straight off the bottom of the barrel.

If matty Cameron is any good I want to see the next villiame kikau at Penrith. The promoting from within is great but every now and than you need to go to market and pinch a special junior like we did with kiks from the cows.

We are covered in the backs. Half's we are looking ok. Props we have cover.... 2nd row we are looking weak. And that includes mav.. let's face it other than the final series last year were he stood up he had a pretty avg year. If it wasn't for his last name there'd be no hype. He's got potential but he's certainly not a shoe in for fg.

If we have a bit of free cash.. use it to lock in a few key guys... than buy a couple absolute gun 17-19 year old 2nd rowers. Get them into our system early and hopefully get the next kikau out of them
THIS! Exactly mate

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Sorry, as much potential as Spencer has. The club couldn't pay overs for a bench prop. What Flegler got from the Dolphins is overs. In my opinion.
The market is too hot right now. Other clubs are offering a premium for our players.

The Roosters are ruthless. That is how they operate.

The only thing that would have kept him here would have been the love of the club and patience. Not everyone is like Luai though.

So true Blade. I had forgotten about Luai being so very patient.