What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

hindy111

Post Whore
Money.
The higher profile player, the longer it takes. Some have cap clauses based on future cap rises, rep clauses, bonuses, want cars etc. And the big headache TPA"S. Some stall because they believe they will make a rep team.
Sometimes clubs stall because they need to move someone on for space.

All of the 4 players mentioned negotiations will start over the next 2 months. Yeo sooner.

All players want to maximise their salary and all clubs (the sensible ones) need to be frugal/stingy with the cap.
Usually both sides feel each other out for what they are seeking and offering. If their is a wide gap. The clubs will give the player a bit of time to think. Hoping to meet in the middle.
They can give him early permission to gauge his value.
That can backfire both ways. A surprise suitor happy to pay his asking price, or the player could suffer a serious injury.

The young players are the easiest to re-sign. May and Tago last year were easy. Just broke into the side. Very happy to stay and receive a generous upgrade on their previous salaries.

In Liam Martin's case. Negotiations started May last year. Were paused during Origin, started again. Paused due to a gap in value, paused due to the finals series. Then met in the middle, but finalisation wasn't done till after the WC and Christmas. Started in May last year finished in Feb this year.

To'o was easy. Both sides had a hint of what was on offer earlier in the year. But he waited till the end of the year. His agent had a brief look around, but he was never going anywhere. They got it all done in early December. A little bit of push back for an extra year. No dramas.

Some like to put on hold till the end of the year. They like to concentrate just on footy. Back themselves to perform.

Mitchell Moses is one of the worst examples going around now. The whole thing has been dragged out to hoover up every cent available. I have heard of that many revised offers from the Tigers and Eels it is not funny. Gould knew when to drop out. They think they are getting somewhere, then the goalposts change. Another demand.

You can have an agreement on length and money, then last minute some agents will ask for a rep bonus. Ok agreed, then they will ask for something else. It can go on and on sometimes.

Agents play games and don't get back to clubs. Clubs do the same if the agent is a headache.
Unless it is easy. It really is a bunch of mind games at times between both clubs and agents. Seeking to win one over each other.

Moses deal is embarrassing

Pomoz

Bench
The best PROP in the game is Tapine from Canberra.
Jnrs great but his defense in the middles sloppy. RCG overall is probably better.

Yes Leota is probably below the guys mentioned but will Spencer reach their heights? I don't think his defense or work rate will allow him to.
There is a huge misunderstanding about Spencer's engine. His brief is to wreak havoc in short stints. If you measure his output when on the field, he led the entire NRL two seasons ago for work rate. He always features in the upper table of work rate per minute measures. On several occasions he has run more metres than either JFH or Leota with half the minutes. His ability to play at a high tempo means his work rate is massive. When you play for longer minutes you have to adjust your tempo or you will burn yourself out. You don't run the first 100m of a marathon at sub 11 second pace.

He has not played starting prop role in first grade enough yet to get a feel for the right tempo so he can last 40 minutes instead of 20. I think his engine will be fine and the Roosters will thank us for developing him into a beast.

MugaB

Coach

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Can he marry me, im a 42 yr old man, i just love Yeo, I'd watch him on a 24hr 7days a week, channel all day every day...YOWWEH!!!

Let me boast a little. My great Uncle David Kemp married a lady called Ethol Yeo. She came from Dunnedoo. Odds on Yeo being quite an un usual name That my great uncle Dave is somehow related to Isaah.

I'm not (which is a bit of a bummer, so Isaah can put away his stalking AVO against me..... :D :D )

So that's my little claim to frame. If I saw Isaah I'd be too shy to tell him this, He'd just think of me as a delusional little old lady.....
Old Lady Dancing GIF by Mattiel

MugaB

Coach
Let me boast a little. My great Uncle David Kemp married a lady called Ethol Yeo. She came from Dunnedoo. Odds on Yeo being quite an un usual name That my great uncle Dave is somehow related to Isaah.

I'm not (which is a bit of a bummer, so Isaah can put away his stalking AVO against me..... :D :D )

So that's my little claim to frame. If I saw Isaah I'd be too shy to tell him this, He'd just think of me as a delusional little old lady.....
I reckon he'd love you... and ask you in for a cuppa tea and some biscuits too

Duneedoo that town always makes me lol.

maple_69

Bench
I’m
There is a huge misunderstanding about Spencer's engine. His brief is to wreak havoc in short stints. If you measure his output when on the field, he led the entire NRL two seasons ago for work rate. He always features in the upper table of work rate per minute measures. On several occasions he has run more metres than either JFH or Leota with half the minutes. His ability to play at a high tempo means his work rate is massive. When you play for longer minutes you have to adjust your tempo or you will burn yourself out. You don't run the first 100m of a marathon at sub 11 second pace.

He has not played starting prop role in first grade enough yet to get a feel for the right tempo so he can last 40 minutes instead of 20. I think his engine will be fine and the Roosters will thank us for developing him into a beast.
He’s also had the benefit of coming on to the field typically when the other sides pack has been destroyed. When he does come on and has to jump into the trenches and defend some sets on the line, he typically exits after 10-15 minutes. As you say though his conditioning appears to have been tuned for the massive short burst and he gets through some high quality work in his role, which has suited our team to a tee.

It’s just a huge question mark whether that will translate to a 40-50 minute role carving out the ascendancy in the opening exchanges. You don’t sprint at the start of a marathon no, but guys that make great sprinters don’t tend to make great distance runners. If he does though boy will he be good.

betcats

Referee

Exactly. Go back to end of 2020 when we lost Tamou there were similar questions about Leotas ability to step up and fill the void in the starting side, playing off the bench he didnt look a starter but given the chance to play starters minutes consistently in 2021 his development continued and he easily did fill that void. Leniu will do the same at the roosters when he gets the chance to play those minutes week in and week out, he is going to be a big loss, not for what he has been providing us playing off the bench but for what he could've provided us for the next 5 or 6 years. Like I said in another post the timing wasnt good for leniu with Fish and Moses still in their primes but eventually in a couple years we will have to bite the bullet and make that call to go with someone younger even if they havent surpassed the current starters yet.

Iamback

Coach
I’m

He’s also had the benefit of coming on to the field typically when the other sides pack has been destroyed. When he does come on and has to jump into the trenches and defend some sets on the line, he typically exits after 10-15 minutes. As you say though his conditioning appears to have been tuned for the massive short burst and he gets through some high quality work in his role, which has suited our team to a tee.

It’s just a huge question mark whether that will translate to a 40-50 minute role carving out the ascendancy in the opening exchanges. You don’t sprint at the start of a marathon no, but guys that make great sprinters don’t tend to make great distance runners. If he does though boy will he be good.

Nailed it

BossleyPanther

Juniors
OFF CONTRACT 2023
Eddie Blacker, Jack Cogger, Kurt Falls, Mavrik Geyer, Thomas Jenkins, Spencer Leniu, Soni Luke, Tyrone Peachey, Jaeman Salmon, Chris Smith, Scott Sorensen

Priorities: Blacker, Geyer, Jenkins, Sorensen and depending how Luke Goes.

Extend Yeo, Edwards, luai, May, Turuva 100%

Black Panther

Juniors
The best PROP in the game is Tapine from Canberra.
Jnrs great but his defense in the middles sloppy. RCG overall is probably better.

Yes Leota is probably below the guys mentioned but will Spencer reach their heights? I don't think his defense or work rate will allow him to.
RCG??😂

Just a small piece of info you might find useful going forward. The Rugby League Project website actually has a page for each team detailing its gains and losses for pretty much every season. For example, this is the link to the one for the Panthers -

Just it gives you a good "one stop shop" when looking at clubs and roster gains/losses over the years.