What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured / Confirmed Signings

Tolman was brought in this season to basically fill a spot and no more which he's done and been fairly average bar a few games. No need for the king of plod for another year, find some cheap fringe prop that may actually have some upside and finucane can be next years tolman except a lot better

bmaccc

Juniors
Tolman was brought in this season to basically fill a spot and no more which he's done and been fairly average bar a few games. No need for the king of plod for another year, find some cheap fringe prop that may actually have some upside and finucane can be next years tolman except a lot better
I don't mind having him in our 30

He's never going to set the world alight but for the most part he's reasonably consistent. He is a cheap fringe prop, if other cheap fringe props had more upside well then they wouldn't be on the fringe. They'd be starting and then cost $400k. For minimum wage at least you know what we're getting.

The alternative is signing some young up and comer - maybe more potential, sure, but think - errors, play the ball mistakes, dumb penalties, lack of game awareness etc

Across Tolman's last 4 appearances (I can't be bothered going back further), he hasn't made a single error, no penalties and only 1 six again conceded. Do I wish he had more spark? Of course - but with Fifita, Hunt, Pele & Graham all out, we're getting our moneys worth with him as a fill-in

Chimp

Juniors
I don't mind having him in our 30

He's never going to set the world alight but for the most part he's reasonably consistent. He is a cheap fringe prop, if other cheap fringe props had more upside well then they wouldn't be on the fringe. They'd be starting and then cost $400k. For minimum wage at least you know what we're getting.

The alternative is signing some young up and comer - maybe more potential, sure, but think - errors, play the ball mistakes, dumb penalties, lack of game awareness etc

Across Tolman's last 4 appearances (I can't be bothered going back further), he hasn't made a single error, no penalties and only 1 six again conceded. Do I wish he had more spark? Of course - but with Fifita, Hunt, Pele & Graham all out, we're getting our moneys worth with him as a fill-in
Exactly this - at minimum wage, you’re not going to get ‘impact’ without some serious deficiencies too (hands like cows tits, terrible defence etc). As a minimum wage, only play where we’re on our bare ass squad man, Tolman is ideal - come in, no frills, do a job. The problem is (as I worried when we signed him), he can’t be one of your premier forwards, he shouldn’t be in the 17 unless there’s serious injury issues - we’ve just had to use him far too much this year, and in all credit to the bloke, he’s been one of our better forwards, despite his lack of impact.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I will say this.

If you let Woods go you gotta keep Tolman and vice versa. Can not into 2022 without an experienced prop. Ability almost pales into insignificance when a stocktake of 2022 Sharks props is done. There is not enough game time amongst them to make a dent in the 2022 comp.

So I'm thinking a few things. Woods got the the rocket as he costs more and Tolman is the keeper OR there's something exciting coming.

There's also every chance Finucane becomes that experienced prop I suppose but he can't play 80 and you need someone coming on to keep an even keel. I don't care if that's Tolman or not but someone similar will probably come anyway.

Then, there's Wade Graham who has the miles under his belt but also now has bats in his belfrey.

Weaponhead

Coach
I am thinking there is another good prop signing to come.

Tolman on minimum to fill in few games next year is decent squad management. He does his job professionally.

Special K

Coach
The club has been hunting a few experienced props but no luck so far. Tolman for mine does a job but the reality is a lot of what he brings we are getting from Finucane. At a guess if we keep missing I assume he stays. You would think if a club needs a prop they would throw Tolman an offer before Woods.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
The club has been hunting a few experienced props but no luck so far. Tolman for mine does a job but the reality is a lot of what he brings we are getting from Finucane. At a guess if we keep missing I assume he stays. You would think if a club needs a prop they would throw Tolman an offer before Woods.
That’s dissapointing. Also very surprising.

Craigshark

First Grade
Would have loved SST but it is what it is if we miss out. Hopefully we can jag at least one or two before next season. There’s a lot of time left between now and then, and probably some teams still wanting to get rid of some players. I wouldn’t be surprised to see JT leave the cowboys. Not sure we’d have the money to go there though.

R-15-3

Juniors
Agree Tolman is an older, slower, weaker version of Finucane.
Also can see Toby, Williams and even Teig being a similar version type prop under Fitz.

Need a different mould prop in our squad to balance us out.

We have Hunt, Uele, Pele* in the bigger stronger type prop but can’t see them as being enough or guaranteed spot. Talakai kind of fits that role as well.

We really need an enforcer type prop like klemmer, JWH, even a cheap Nappa don’t particularly want one over 30.
I have a belief that props will start to fade away past 30 in coming years with the added speed taking its toll on older props once they have a few seasons at this pace.

With very limited reserve grade footy I thought Hazelton showed a hell of a lot of promise in the few games he managed for the Jets, has been in our system for a few years and would be tempted to give him a spot in our top squad.

Jack Martin was hyped up as a future star but haven’t heard anything on how he is progressing in the current climate.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Jack Martin was always a long term investment, hasn't been amazing in Flegg this year but that whole team pretty much stinked.

roboshark

Coach
I'm really surprised we can't land a good prop. Would of thought we would be most attractive as an option. I hope our signings aren't done

carinashark

First Grade
I don’t think we need Tolman. The game is faster and can at times call for a completely different and more athletic player. The UK would be good for him. I’ve watched a few games of Superleauge this year and it’s like watching NRL at half speed.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I’d like to see us have a crack at Moses Suli…. Manly to contribute to next year. Goons have offered 500k for second and third seasons which is slight overs but could become an absolute beast with the right coaching imo.

Chimp

Juniors
I’d like to see us have a crack at Moses Suli…. Manly to contribute to next year. Goons have offered 500k for second and third seasons which is slight overs but could become an absolute beast with the right coaching imo.
I can see why, but for me, he’s a very expensive gamble, and as such should probably end up at the Dragons or Tigers.
Has a history of lazy/weight/attitude problems - all the stuff we’re hoping we’ll be moving well away from under the Fitz regime.
He’s a pointless risk in my opinion at anywhere near that price.

Peregian shark

Juniors
I don’t think we need Tolman. The game is faster and can at times call for a completely different and more athletic player. The UK would be good for him. I’ve watched a few games of Superleauge this year and it’s like watching NRL at half speed.
What happened to hamlin in lower grade