What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured / Confirmed Signings

bluefox68

Staff member
I just wish they’d follow Joey and Freddy’s advice:

CUT THE TEAMS TO 12 or 14.

Better product, less Sydney teams - truly NATIONAL competition.

This will NEVER happen, as rugby league has always been parochial and political.

No one has the guts to cut (or relocate) a team like the Bulldogs or Manly, or even the Sharks…

There are multiple threads discussing this in the ‘Expansion’ forum.

bluefox68

Staff member
Here’s an example:

14 TEAM COMP

1. NQ Cowboys
  2. Brisbane Broncos
  3. NEW SEQ TEAM
  4. Gold Coast Titans
  5. Penrith Panthers (own city)
  6. Parramatta Eels (own city)
  7. South Sydney Rabbitohs
  8. Eastern Suburbs Roosters
  9. Illawarra Sharks (own city/area)
  10. Canberra Raiders
  11. Melbourne Storm
  12. NZ Warriors
  13. Newcastle Knights
  14. NEW NZ TEAM

Bob Scott

Juniors
Can't see another NZ team working , the Warriors struggle to attract quality players as it is and the strength of players in NZ isn't that good , the pathways aren't as tough for the younger players as in Aus , most of the young NZ players that have come thru the system in NZ struggle when they get to the Warriors , you don't see many of the young Warriors go on to be very good or the big clubs trying to entice away .
That's why most of the Aussie clubs try to get their hands on them young and get them over there so they get adjusted to a tougher game .
Unless they give the NZ clubs a higher salary cap to be able to compete for better players .

bluefox68

Staff member
Perth is always mentioned.

I think 4 teams is enough for QLD…???

Also Central Coast, but the ‘powers that be’ don’t seem keen…

Here’s an example:

14 TEAM COMP

1. NQ Cowboys
  2. Brisbane Broncos
  3. NEW SEQ TEAM
  4. Gold Coast Titans
  5. Penrith Panthers (own city)
  6. Parramatta Eels (own city)
  7. South Sydney Rabbitohs
  8. Eastern Suburbs Roosters
  9. Illawarra Sharks (own city/area)
  10. Canberra Raiders
  11. Melbourne Storm
  12. NZ Warriors
  13. Newcastle Knights
  14. NEW NZ TEAM
The only way you could ever get Sydney supporters to have any sort of agreeance, and even this wont happen, is if you cut every Sydney team and make up new teams.
Imagine if they did that? They'd find out quick smart that not that many people actually follow Rugby League itself these days, just their own club.

PJ

First Grade
The only way you could ever get Sydney supporters to have any sort of agreeance, and even this wont happen, is if you cut every Sydney team and make up new teams.
Imagine if they did that? They'd find out quick smart that not that many people actually follow Rugby League itself these days, just their own club.

I think this is the way to do it, but also make it back to a real thing the Sydney comp.

So say Thursday and Saturday were Sydney games televised, and Friday Sunday the national comp.

St George, Illawarra and Cronulla are feeders to one team

Souths, East and Newtown another

Balmain West Canterbury

Penrith Parra

Norths and Manly the other.

Possibly even add one more to those above but essentially Sydney supplies 5 teams to a national comp.

Then Melbourne, Canberra, Newcastle, GC, Brisbane, NQ, Auckland and maybe a second Brisbane and Perth/Adelaide.

You'd start following your local teams players and generate a fandom as it progresses.

R-15-3

Juniors
Iv said it before but the only change is move east’s to Brisbane and because of their sacrifice they get to play all greater Sydney away games at sfs so they essentially have to home grounds advantage. All Sydney clubs would be happy to sacrifice 1 away game to the sfs if it meant they didn’t have to move.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Nah….you’d alienate a lot of long term supporters if you f**k with the tribalism of the Sydney teams. I love my footy but wouldn’t bother if the Sharks weren’t stand alone. Call me selfish but it is what it is.

The Sydney teams is the strength of the Competition.

Mind you I wouldn’t miss the West Tigers as they have been a basket case for a decade and haven’t been smart enough to embrace the South West (Liverpool area.)If they went I’m sure Clubs like the Dogs and Panthers would take that area under their wings.

I always laugh when people talk about a second Kiwi team when the one we’ve got in the main has been utterly hopeless. Seriously one is more than enough.

A second Brisbane team is a no brainer. Brisbane is a Rugby League heartland and deserve Rugby League up there every weekend.

I just wish the Gold Coast would finally go belly up. The area has been fools Gold for lots of sports of the years and a team has never been successful up their.

So for mine I hope the Titans go Tits Up and then you have the Cowboys, Broncos and second Brisbane team. The Tigers go belly up and we bring in a team from WA.

We keep 16 teams and we have a strong foot print across Australia to promote and grow the game.

I think this is the way to do it, but also make it back to a real thing the Sydney comp.

So say Thursday and Saturday were Sydney games televised, and Friday Sunday the national comp.

St George, Illawarra and Cronulla are feeders to one team

Souths, East and Newtown another

Balmain West Canterbury

Penrith Parra

Norths and Manly the other.

Possibly even add one more to those above but essentially Sydney supplies 5 teams to a national comp.

Then Melbourne, Canberra, Newcastle, GC, Brisbane, NQ, Auckland and maybe a second Brisbane and Perth/Adelaide.

You'd start following your local teams players and generate a fandom as it progresses.

Sounds a bit like Super League to me PJ 😂🤣

Quigs

Immortal
Bacon and tomato pancakes... (with onion and mushrooms) but don't let the silly old coote know or nek minute this post will morph into the game day cook off thread

bluefox68

Staff member
Back on track attempt:

What will the reaction be in here if we actually sign Joey Manu from the Roosters?!?