What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured / Confirmed Signings

Ads

First Grade
Brooks with the left foot kicking game would edge it over taylor for me. Both much better partners for hynes than anything we have.

Omnishark2

Juniors
Brooks with the left foot kicking game would edge it over taylor for me. Both much better partners for hynes than anything we have.
That's true - even allowing for his inexperience, Trindall's decision making has been pretty poor.

Taylor's problem is his temperament under pressure - he needed to take those months out of the game a while back, plus his body language is poor when he gets frustrated, he drops his head too easy, he often looks like he's about to burst into tears. He can throw a good cutout pass - but he also throws a good intercept too. Kicking game is passable, not outstanding.

Brooks has been a disappointment for so long. He's got more pace than Taylor, and goes OK when he actually takes on tired defenders in the line. But he can't do it consistently & be that game manager that consistently closes out games. Probably a better long kicking game than Taylor. Still gets targeted in defence, but handles it better these days.

Sounds like Taylor would be much cheaper, around $275k.
Brooks would want a lot more, even if the Tigers kick in 50% ... so that's $450k. Is he worth that ? Not based on his past couple of years he's not.

So Taylor is the better value ... but higher risk (plus can he hack living in Sydney ) ?
Brooks will be overpriced based on recent form ... but he's probably lower risk.
Both play on the left side, which is Hynes' better side (though Nico goes OK on the right too).

Hmmm touch choice ... I'm not keen on either, but I'd probably lean towards Brooks for no more than 450k, and hope the new environment improves his consistency.

AJB1102

First Grade
Ash Taylor is going ok atm. Was the second coming of Jesus at Red Hill, then left to anoint the rabid at Robina… and mostly failed.
$300k and I’m in.
Question to the masses, what if Brooks was $300 also. Would you pick Taylor or Brooks?
Taylor is an overpaid mental midget who checks out under pressure (on-field and off-field). Sometimes to the point he's not available for selection. Even if his team goes good he can be the worst on field.

Brooks is an overpaid tall midget who rocks up every week for his hopeless, broken club. Usually goes good when his team does. Brooks won't get a shock being an NRL player in Sydney, I'd argue Taylor might.

Both 26 but Brooks has an extra 50 first grade games, was ROTY in 2014 and halfback OTY in 2018. I like a lefty boot too.

Brooks for me. ~$400-$450ish for 2 years I'd be ok with.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Taylor has been too 2 clubs for nothing, and considering at Titans they have a pack that goes forward.
Brooks has only been at the mess of the Tigers, so he will only see the good coming here, plus he has Fitzy and as above he knows Sydney

shaggs

Coach
Taylor has been too 2 clubs for nothing, and considering at Titans they have a pack that goes forward.
Brooks has only been at the mess of the Tigers, so he will only see the good coming here, plus he has Fitzy and as above he knows Sydney
Straws much?

He was a teenager in the bronco is system and played like 1 game.

Bob Scott

Juniors
Who ever , if either , comes to us , is going to know that they will be playing 2nd fiddle to Hynes so the pressure will be less intense which will help both as they both play with the weight of their respective clubs on their shoulders , and it shows . I also think having a bit of experience next to him will help Hynes .
If either one is being considered i would think they will be looking at who compliments Hynes game the best , who has the best kicking game etc . Brooks being a lefty gives him a point of difference and i think he has a better running game , but both a risk so definitely has to be at the right price and time frame .
1 year with options in our favor would be the safest option for us , so we can jettison easily if not working . Also allows Trindall some more time as understudy , but if he steps up in the next few games and pre season and gets the start it gives us a reasonable backstop .

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Interesting take Bobby.

I don’t see Hynes as first fiddle, I still want someone who Hynes looks up to not down on.

R-15-3

Bench
The more I think about Brooks the more I like the idea. No pressure on him to look after the forwards with McInnes & Finucane keeping them organised. No need to try and break the game open with Nicho taking on that role in the back line. Just cut his game back to basics of catch, pass and kick and get his job done. His running game is solid so will offer that 2nd guess in defence for Nicho to take advantage off.

shadowboxer

First Grade
f**k these two. Mediocre players whose teams have never done anything.
Brooks -FMD… bloke has as charisma as a house brick and can’t see him walking away from the Tigers who thrive on mediocrity. That last game of the season a few years back speaks volumes…when they were hyped to make the 8 since who knows when… we turned up and burned their dream back to the boonies.. He’s the same bloke who lived this period and is scarred.
The talk is just that, as mentioned, their ain’t much let out there

Frenzy.

Immortal
I agree , but the reason we are talking about Brooks and Taylor is the lack of anyone better , and i get the feeling Hynes wants to be the man , has a great belief in himself .

O'Sullivan is as good as both of them. 3 of a kind. Trindall is as good too. 4 of a kind.

All munch of a munchness really.

Just get the best kicker. Dunno if Hynes can kick in GP.

snout

First Grade
Taylor.
Will never have a career as an established 7 at any club.
Well, maybe the gorillas.

Titans have no interest in him. They have a kid who's played 2 games outplaying him and pushing him out of the club.