What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured / Confirmed Signings

Quigs

Immortal
Sheeeze Gus's match commentary is getting worse, if that is humanly possible.

He starts to ramble on and is still going at it for the next ten minutes of the match. Thank ferhuck for the mute button on "me" remote.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Hope not. Too old.

Reason Manky showing him the door.

He's 31, a year and a bit older than Finucane

In 2016 Sharks won with Gallen 35, Lewis 33, Heighington 33, Ennis 32.

The concept of too old is an ever changing beast. Sports science, injury management, interchange, individualised training programs and overall increased professionalism is seeing a fair few blokes playing on into the mid thirties.

Don't agree that Tapau is too old. In fact he'd be just what the doctor ordered.

The most experienced forwards will be McInnes, Finucane, Graham and Fifita. Graham is a sneeze away from a career ending concussion and Feefs a knee tweak away from being done. McInnes is coming off an ACL and Finucane has chronic calf issues

We need a prop and we need another hard headed, experienced bloke. I don't expect a lot from Feefs or Graham unfortunately so if one of the purchases goes down it's Shit Creek without a paddle.

We don't have a standout leader or much experience in the backs either.

Marty would be a yes for me

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Immortal
Deciding between us and the Raiders. He is originally from Goulburn so there is some appeal about moving down there.

Also from reading that Metcalf stuff seems like if the Raiders get Fogarty they won't get Chanel so there is no need for Metcalf over there. Given the squads of the two teams and the fact we do not really have a back up FB(Don't say Tracey) and there is one open half spot I can't see why he would leave.

Tracey?

shadowboxer

First Grade
Gus’s words something like the bulldogs don’t have a salary cap problem but a losing problem….. cap problems come next year if the losing continues and Barrett keeps blaming the players. Dead set dud

Frenzy.

Immortal
Nicho wouldn’t be our back up fullback? I get that the preference is to play him in the halves but a very capable fb imo. Same goes for McInnes…. good cover for Hooker if required. These two signings give our squad great depth in crucial positions imo.

Yes and yes but I don't see the great depth yet. If any big gun goes down we only have emerging players to fill voids really. Not to mention we haven't even filled the squad yet

R-15-3

Juniors
He's 31, a year and a bit older than Finucane

In 2016 Sharks won with Gallen 35, Lewis 33, Heighington 33, Ennis 32.

The concept of too old is an ever changing beast. Sports science, injury management, interchange, individualised training programs and overall increased professionalism is seeing a fair few blokes playing on into the mid thirties.

Don't agree that Tapau is too old. In fact he'd be just what the doctor ordered.

The most experienced forwards will be McInnes, Finucane, Graham and Fifita. Graham is a sneeze away from a career ending concussion and Feefs knee tweak away from being done. McInnes is coming off an ACL and Finucane has chronic calf issues

We need a prop and we need another hard headed, experienced bloke. I don't expect a lot from Feefs or Graham unfortunately so if one of the purchases goes down it's Shit Creek without a paddle.

We don't have a standout leader or much experience in the back either.

Marty would be a yes for me
I use to be off the same belief of age but the speed of the game has me thinking that it will really start affecting older middle forwards after a few seasons at this pace.

Also very few power middle forwards stay at their peak for more than 2-3 seasons currently and can’t see many maintaining that if the game stays how it is right now.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Yes and yes but I don't see the great depth yet. If any big gun goes down we only have emerging players to fill voids really. Not to mention we haven't even filled the squad yet
Yeah was only really referring to depth covering fullback and Hooker which we didn’t really have either this year. I’d give Marty a 2 year deal too. Not on huge money though…he still knows how to bend the defensive line and get a bit of momentum in the forwards. Most clubs including us have 6 or 7 roster spots to fill so there will be some significant movement over the next couple of months. The Bunnies are the interesting ones as they only have 17 players out of 30 registered for next year (incl Milf).
I would assume that part of this is they have deferred negotiations until after their year is done.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Sheeeze Gus's match commentary is getting worse, if that is humanly possible.

He starts to ramble on and is still going at it for the next ten minutes of the match. Thank ferhuck for the mute button on "me" remote.
Gonna have to psych myself up to listen to Johns…Freddy and Gus next week. On another note…f**k Tariq…Ruan looks like she’s ready to pack in the front row.

Weaponhead

Coach
As with most signings, it's all about price and value.

Pluses with Marty are a big body who takes multiple defenders to stop, offload game in contact, physical presence and international experience. We need someone who can lead the charge and inflict physical punishment.

He seems to have been on good coin so is he willing to take a step back to extend his career?

Meanhfish

Juniors
I have always thought Gus was an asset to the game but his one sided commentary when Penrith is playing is absolutely horrible to listen too, it turns me off the game and he should be sidelined when they play.

Big Bloke

Juniors
I use to be off the same belief of age but the speed of the game has me thinking that it will really start affecting older middle forwards after a few seasons at this pace.

Also very few power middle forwards stay at their peak for more than 2-3 seasons currently and can’t see many maintaining that if the game stays how it is right now.
Is the game really that much faster? Still seems to be a thousand stoppages per game with HIAs, bunker reviews, trainers asking for the game to be stopped. I think it's a bit of a fallacy that the game is faster. I think the NRL wants us all to think that, but I don't think it is any faster than before.

fizman

Bench
It is time to bring Local Junior and former Endeavour Sports High Student Martin Tapau back home to the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks.

R-15-3

Juniors
Is the game really that much faster? Still seems to be a thousand stoppages per game with HIAs, bunker reviews, trainers asking for the game to be stopped. I think it's a bit of a fallacy that the game is faster. I think the NRL wants us all to think that, but I don't think it is any faster than before.
The line speed and intensity are definitely faster over the 80min.
6 again with less penalties pushes players defending for longer without stoppages or handing it over.
90% won’t feel it but can see older forwards needing to keep that going long term will see props decline earlier than they have.

Latest posts