What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured / Confirmed Signings

Weaponhead

Coach
Siteni Taukamo is a fullback in the age group behind and is signed until end of 2024. He is very well regarded and so Dykes may see the Tigs as the better career move to get a shot at an NRL career .

Stake Removed

First Grade
Siteni Taukamo is a fullback in the age group behind and is signed until end of 2024. He is very well regarded and so Dykes may see the Tigs as the better career move to get a shot at an NRL career .
Taukamo has been in the NSW under age squads already.
Dykes might see that Kennedy is a lock for fullback.
Miller in the mix for another couple of years.
And if Tigers are what they normally do, they will pay him good $$$ untested

shaggs

Coach
He actually isn’t. I’d say he would be one being released.
watched most of the ball games this year and he stinks. Not a fitzy style player

Poss

Juniors
Saw on Facebook today (Clarkeys Column) that BHU is set to announce an extension with the sharks. The quote came from Triple M NRL apparently.

Inferno

Coach
Solid bit of work re-signinf Nikora and Williams IMO.

Decent coin but for a better than average backrower who more often than not plays the full 80 I'm happy with it.

Can't help but wonder how much Wilton will want in his next deal though...

Stake Removed

First Grade
Solid bit of work re-signinf Nikora and Williams IMO.

Decent coin but for a better than average backrower who more often than not plays the full 80 I'm happy with it.

Can't help but wonder how much Wilton will want in his next deal though...
That will be interesting re Wilton, it is going to be hard to keep them all, now with 17 teams.
And that will ramp up again with proposed 18team in 2026.
It is going to be tough for all clubs over next 6 years to retain players.
Will need for sure to have players coming through system ready to step up

Next year our highest paid player is Dale on $750k, after that it’s Nicho on $600k.
then we have players like McInnes and Nikora on 550-600, maybe Rudolf?

Moons and Fitz have steadied the ship in regards to the cap for the next few year, and it looks like the players are buying into it at the moment. There looks like there is a trend, or pattern, happening with payments.

You see throughout the comp the players who are just whores for the cash and simply chase the dollars without a care what club they're at. We seem to have a squad that want to play for this club and aren't full of egos and money chasers.

Weaponhead

Coach
Next year our highest paid player is Dale on $750k, after that it’s Nicho on $600k.
then we have players like McInnes and Nikora on 550-600, maybe Rudolf?

Moons and Fitz have steadied the ship in regards to the cap for the next few year, and it looks like the players are buying into it at the moment. There looks like there is a trend, or pattern, happening with payments.
There seems to be a real focus on building a team with the right players on the right salary rather than chase the flashy player with big money. This suits the Sharks culture. It may be that in the next couple of years they will look to land a marquee if needed to get to the next level.

Melbourne has gone with 3 or 4 stars on massive coin with a supporting cast then gap fillers. Penrith is getting tested with needing to cough up cash for Cleary. They are smart not getting into bidding wars with non-essential players such as Kikau when they can promote from within and use solid squad players to keep the system working.

Newcastle are all in on Ponga and whilst he is a talent, he won't get them near competing for a comp.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
There seems to be a real focus on building a team with the right players on the right salary rather than chase the flashy player with big money. This suits the Sharks culture. It may be that in the next couple of years they will look to land a marquee if needed to get to the next level.

Melbourne has gone with 3 or 4 stars on massive coin with a supporting cast then gap fillers. Penrith is getting tested with needing to cough up cash for Cleary. They are smart not getting into bidding wars with non-essential players such as Kikau when they can promote from within and use solid squad players to keep the system working.

Newcastle are all in on Ponga and whilst he is a talent, he won't get them near competing for a comp.
I don't think Cleary is the issue holding up the cap, more like how to keep To'o Crichton, Tago and Lenui.

Stake Removed

First Grade
I love that shit clubs like Newcastle and to a slightly lesser extent the Cowboys have players on 1M+ contracts just ruining their caps.
Or the Warriors who signed SJ and have about 8 halves.
I agree key is don't over pay, if it means you lose someone that is just what will happen

Weaponhead

Coach
I don't think Cleary is the issue holding up the cap, more like how to keep To'o Crichton, Tago and Lenui.

Fair enough but part of the reason it's tough to keep To'o, Crichton, Tago etc is the amount invested in Cleary and Luai. Cleary is in top few players in the game so he deserves the coin. There is no question about that. The other reason is the success of the Panthers has lifted the values of those players and it is fair for them to want to paid close to market rate. Penrith also have the players coming through to replace those who can get big coin elsewhere so they don't have to get in bidding wars unnecessarily.

Cronulla don't have an elite tier player in the squad and so are doing the right thing in building a squad of very good players on reasonable salaries that works under the cap. Clubs like St George with Hunt and Newcastle with Ponga have chased big names on massive coin hoping that they turn around the club. It rarely works. Penrith have built the system to sustain their success that most other clubs have not.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Fair enough but part of the reason it's tough to keep To'o, Crichton, Tago etc is the amount invested in Cleary and Luai. Cleary is in top few players in the game so he deserves the coin. There is no question about that. The other reason is the success of the Panthers has lifted the values of those players and it is fair for them to want to paid close to market rate. Penrith also have the players coming through to replace those who can get big coin elsewhere so they don't have to get in bidding wars unnecessarily.

Cronulla don't have an elite tier player in the squad and so are doing the right thing in building a squad of very good players on reasonable salaries that works under the cap. Clubs like St George with Hunt and Newcastle with Ponga have chased big names on massive coin hoping that they turn around the club. It rarely works. Penrith have built the system to sustain their success that most other clubs have not.
Yes that's true, our issue is if 1 leave the whole brotherhood could. Replacing players might be an issue this time around only 2 I can think off that has it right now for NRL. We are crying out for a hooker.

As for the Sharks side, the team is a well oiled machine and I am happy Moylan has find form with Hynes.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Yes that's true, our issue is if 1 leave the whole brotherhood could. Replacing players might be an issue this time around only 2 I can think off that has it right now for NRL. We are crying out for a hooker.

As for the Sharks side, the team is a well oiled machine and I am happy Moylan has find form with Hynes.
I think the goal to maintain it forever is extremely hard to achieve. The NRL goes in cycles and you have to enjoy and make most of the windows that present themselves. If Penrith win another comp this year they have absolutely taken advantage of “their time”. At some point they will lose players and come back to the field a bit but maintaining their stars will keep them competitive.

The reason Melbourne’s window is always open is Bellamy. It’s that simple. He keeps 3 elite players and then finds glue to keep the rest together.

A good recent example of a team that missed their window is Ricky’s Raiders.

Latest posts