What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured / Confirmed Signings

Ozzi_78

First Grade
So 600K for 2023 and 2024
900K for 25, 26, 27, 28
With the best Moses (yeah I know) being reported as high as 1.4M PY, absolute bargain.

lolesi

First Grade
great player
looks to be a great human
heavily promoted this off season and always as a shark.

pretty simple decision. what a fantastic figure piece for a club.

Chimp

Juniors
His deal would be upgraded for the final year of any new deal, not as much as the new one but it would have a bump. Two years at 600 is a steal. Pay the man.
Give him the 900 NOW, it’s still a steal compared to market value, and would be a great look for future signings and club culture. Recognise and reward true value.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Give him the 900 NOW, it’s still a steal compared to market value, and would be a great look for future signings and club culture. Recognise and reward true value.
Not sure if serious but I disagree with this. We haven’t won anything and to give it to him only would cause more trouble both from disgruntled team mates and also our cap position.

Chimp

Juniors
Not sure if serious but I disagree with this. We haven’t won anything and to give it to him only would cause more trouble both from disgruntled team mates and also our cap position.
I am serious. Whilst Hynes isn’t the sort to do it, I would hate for him to feel how Jimmy did in his latter year with us, where he knows he could and should be earning more.
Clubs can’t do good deals anymore, but in this case, I think we’ve already had a very good deal, and got him bought into the club in the process. Give him the money now and show him how much he is valued, as a player and a person. That will cement long term commitment from him.
I seriously doubt the other players would have a sook about it - they wouldn’t begrudge him being paid what he’s worth - I actually think they’d appreciate the club tying him up long term, and appreciate that the club have seen he’s being paid massive unders and have done something about it.
For future signings, it shows that it’s worth joining the Sharks, as even if your initial contract isn’t high value, if you play above your market value, the club will try and look after you, salary cap space dependent of course.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Fair reply but right now I don’t see him as a 900 player to be honest. Yeah won the M and all that but at the end of 23 I may be convinced. I stand by though a 1/3 increase would lose a key player elsewhere.

R-15-3

Juniors
$900k now is a bargain.
Nichos wouldn’t be the one to expect an upgrade but if we wait 18months it could be $1.2.
He is a marketers dream on and off the field. The club’s culture will be built on his back for years to come and the snow ball effect of that will last decades.

Weaponhead

Coach
We can be reasonably certain that the key people are working the numbers. We can be absolutely certain that those people will ensure the club gets something for any increase they give Hynes. If they want to extend him before the end of the season, they might front load next season to smooth out the salary bump to make cap management easier.

The points made about Hynes and his impact are fair. Is he elite? Not yet. Needs to be playing playing rep footy and winning finals games for that. Is he capable of doing that? Yes.

This squad is one or two top tier players away from genuinely contending. Either a couple of existing players go to that level or you bring in the right player. Cap management is key to making that happen.

Maccas4177

Juniors
I'd put it out there that you dont need to be playing rep footy to be an elite player. Its a game for incumbents after all.
Cherry Evan is well past his used by date but still playing rep footy - essentially taking the spot of someone who's playing better.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Don’t give him an upgrade at one peril. Someone else will in a heartbeat.
As said he is Cinderella and the story will only get better as time goes on.
The blokes young, single and no kids. So just him solo. Once he gets settles down with kids, then he might not be so self less.
I’m sure the club will likely scree it up though. History says so.

Chimp

Juniors
Fullback is the position that needs the upgrade. Either by the bulldogs model or we find one in the club.
Maybe… but 7 will also likely need an upgrade/replacement if we don’t pay him what’s he’s worth. There aren’t many other 7s out there I’d rather have - if he was a free agent currently, he’d been getting offers of $1m+ I reckon.
He’s already shown more consistency than someone like Moses, I’d certainly prefer Nicho over Moses, and Moses is reportedly being offered $1.4 by the Tigers and well over $1m by Eels.
Lock Hynes up, ASAP!

DJDL

Bench
@Ozzi_78 speaks much sense in this thread.

No doubt Nicho has the potential to be worth that money but, for mine it's still just potential.
Show you're worth it over a number of seasons then we'll talk.

Way too many players being paid on potential in this day and age.

Even JT had to wait to the back end of his career to earn the big money.

Latest posts