What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured signings 2014 / 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViking

Juniors
Sorry, not saying they're "right" - just passing on what people have been reporting on various forums & Twitter. My point was the number of clubs that are supposedly linked to players these days through the various social media outlets. The player managers, trolls & others with their "scoops" have a field day throwing names out there & watching the hysteria or abuse as certain clubs are linked to an endless list of players.

Oh yeh 100% agree.

Wasn't having a shot at you. Just hadn't seen some of them though I don't look at facebook, instagram and all that crap.

Billythekid

First Grade
Foran has played the invisible man routine this finals series. What does that say about his ability when the chips are down ?

It's because he relies way too heavily on Cherry evans, in fact the whole team does. Cherry Evans has fell apart and played some very average football in the back half of the season and that is a big part of why Manly have struggled.

A lot of the time it feels like Foran is playing more like a mobile back rower than a half. I don't think he's bad at all but if you sign him as a marquee player i think you will be in trouble.

POPEYE

Coach
But has Foran ever been a marquee player, probably no more so than Ballin. He definitely is a necessary player amongst marquee players. Any team he plays for will have bought someone that can shore up one side of the field and inspire the people on the other

seaeagle sam

I know I am biased but Foran is a class player and has the ability to shine with or without DCE.

They both have been down on form for a lot of this season but it is not due to ability, it's that fact our pack has rarely gotten on top this season and for a lot of it, gone backwards.

We'll keep him thanks.

Rabbits20

Immortal
It seems like Reece Robinson is coming to Souths I have heard. Should be announced in the next week.

I'm happy I think he's a solid signing and could play very well under Madge.

Considering Champion is leaving, Merritt retiring and Tuqiri I think will retire. Reddy isn't the best either. He's signed for next year.

Robinson and Goodwin would be competing for a wing spot.

He adds needed depth.

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Willie Mason to Manly

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/pau...mason-a-lifeline/story-e6frf3ou-1227070785297

WILLIE Mason is likely to be the big winner out of Anthony Watmough’s imminent departure from the Sea Eagles.
We can reveal Manly have kicked off talks about giving Mason the final contract of his career.
Following the retirement of Jason King, the Sea Eagles are sorely lacking for size and experience up front.
Although Mason turns 35 next April, the colourful prop is supremely confident about being able to compete for one more season.
Mason is also hoping to find a Sydney club because it will allow him to fulfil media commitments in the Harbour City.
Penrith remain a remote chance, but only if they fail to secure jailbird Russell Packer.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Willie Mason to Manly

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/pau...mason-a-lifeline/story-e6frf3ou-1227070785297

WILLIE Mason is likely to be the big winner out of Anthony Watmough?s imminent departure from the Sea Eagles.
We can reveal Manly have kicked off talks about giving Mason the final contract of his career.
Following the retirement of Jason King, the Sea Eagles are sorely lacking for size and experience up front.
Although Mason turns 35 next April, the colourful prop is supremely confident about being able to compete for one more season.
Mason is also hoping to find a Sydney club because it will allow him to fulfil media commitments in the Harbour City.
Penrith remain a remote chance, but only if they fail to secure jailbird Russell Packer.

If there is some free cash sitting around doing nothing then I have no drama with it for a 1 year contract but don't want him signed at the expense of anyone else.

It seems like Reece Robinson is coming to Souths I have heard. Should be announced in the next week.

I'm happy I think he's a solid signing and could play very well under Madge.

Considering Champion is leaving, Merritt retiring and Tuqiri I think will retire. Reddy isn't the best either. He's signed for next year.

Robinson and Goodwin would be competing for a wing spot.

He adds needed depth.

Funny... I heard he was going to the Panthers.

eozsmiles

Bench
One of the major differences between top 8 teams and the rest is organisation. It's great to have speed and lateral movement but it's no good if all your players are in the wrong spot and getting the ball at the wrong time. Foran is one of the best organisers in the comp. Manly's left side is their stronger defensive side and is great in attack. Much of that is because Foran runs a tight ship.

When you see teams with raw ability like Eels or Tigers missing the finals, a player like Foran can be the difference.

So yeah, he'll get big offers from everyone that thinks they can afford him.

ek999

First Grade
One of the major differences between top 8 teams and the rest is organisation. It's great to have speed and lateral movement but it's no good if all your players are in the wrong spot and getting the ball at the wrong time. Foran is one of the best organisers in the comp. Manly's left side is their stronger defensive side and is great in attack. Much of that is because Foran runs a tight ship.

When you see teams with raw ability like Eels or Tigers missing the finals, a player like Foran can be the difference.

So yeah, he'll get big offers from everyone that thinks they can afford him.

You only need to look at the form of T-Rex when playing alongside Foran compared to at the Bulldogs (although he is getting a lot better now). Foran was always in his ear making sure he was where he should be and doing what he needed to.

Also, I think Mason would be a good buy for Manly

perverse

Referee
Also, I think Mason would be a good buy for Manly
If they've got room for a bloke who can only play ~20 minutes, 30 at the top of his game and takes 2 or 3 tackles to get back onside after making one, then yeah - he'll be a good buy. To his credit he does have a few barnstorming runs in him every couple of weeks, when he can be f**ked.

shiznit

Coach
Mateo > Manly

Was in Fairfax media today.

It's interesting as Manly wouldn't give an early release for Matai to join the Warriors but they want the Warriors to grant one for Mateo...

Foran is the guy the Warriors need...

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
If they've got room for a bloke who can only play ~20 minutes, 30 at the top of his game and takes 2 or 3 tackles to get back onside after making one, then yeah - he'll be a good buy. To his credit he does have a few barnstorming runs in him every couple of weeks, when he can be f**ked.

Mason's main attribute is his mouth, superceded his playing ability long ago. IF Manly is being distabilised by discontent he's the man to talk the talk for Toovey

Nice Beaver

First Grade

What, you mean like Jason King?

Mason would be less coin than King and does put in a couple of good runs a game.

perverse

Referee
The word around the street this year in Newcastle was that Mullen's form took a real dive after moving in with Willie, make of that what you will. Allegedly a bit of a party house... many complaints from neighbors. As much as he was a crowd favourite in Newcastle, most prudent punters are happy to see the back of him. As popeye said above, his mouth is much bigger than his ability.

Having said that, it's a valid point that he's probably no worse than King. Willie certainly isn't getting any better though, the difference between last year and this year was notable. These old boys tend to slow up pretty quick once the process is underway. We'll see how he goes, a good team like Manly should be able to find a job for him... but as I said, I'm glad he's not around the Knights anymore. He hasn't changed much and still isn't the greatest influence on younger guys (or any guys, for that matter).

I know you Manly blokes will put the positive spin on it and see it as a good signing, I would too if the role was reversed... but proceed with caution.

To give you an idea of how much Stone wanted rid of Mason - the Knights only have 2 established first grade capable props on the books for next year thus far - one who is still learning his craft in Korbin Sims, 3 if you count Mataora I suppose. We are super desperate for props, yet Willie was the first bloke out the door once Stone was in charge. We wouldn't be throwing away a viable, crowd-pleasing prop for no reason.

Last edited:

Blues Riff

Bench
Unconfirmed by the club, but confirmed by the media - Russell Packer to Penrith on a 2 yr deal.
Can't wait for the shit to hit the fan over this. How about some threads about double standards,Carney etc.

Edwahu

Bench
Packer always had potential but was pretty ploddy before he went away. I don't see why so many clubs are chasing him given the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts