What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and General Dribble XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What about the random change from third person to second person halfway through? What was that meant to symbolise Pete?

It actually goes from second person to first person.

Incidentally, I recently finished reading a book that was half written in second person flashback. The Damned Utd:

It started that first morning in the hospital, the day after Boxing Day, and it’s never stopped, not for a single day since. You wake up and for those first few seconds, minutes, you forget; forget you are injured; forget you are finished – Forget you will never smell the dressing room again. Never put on a clean new kit. Tie on those shining boots and hear the roar of the crowd –
It's quite jarring at first, and even the bits written in first person are weird. But it finished well, for a piece of historical fiction written about real people, some of whom are still alive. It was just f**king weird. That's why I'm sharing this with you, Bigfella.

Incidentally, I recently finished reading a book that was half written in second person flashback. The Damned Utd:

It's quite jarring at first, and even the bits written in first person are weird. But it finished well, for a piece of historical fiction written about real people, some of whom are still alive. It was just f**king weird. That's why I'm sharing this with you, Bigfella.

The telemovie of The Damned United is pretty good too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I knew there was a movie, but I didn't know it was made for TV. I suppose if it was made for the cinema, Hugh Grant would have been in it. Plus that Irish merkin from the IT Crowd.

I think to appreciate the book you need to know the context of that period within Clough's managerial career. Without knowing of his massive success with Nottingham a few years later, the ending is quite hollow.

But then, I guess at the time it was, for him.

I knew there was a movie, but I didn't know it was made for TV. I suppose if it was made for the cinema, Hugh Grant would have been in it. Plus that Irish merkin from the IT Crowd.

I think to appreciate the book you need to know the context of that period within Clough's managerial career. Without knowing of his massive success with Nottingham a few years later, the ending is quite hollow.

But then, I guess at the time it was, for him.

It was, in fact, a 'proper' movie, released on March 29 2009, but they were certainly showing it on free to air TV in the UK very soon after its box office debut (some time in April....I just remember watching it a couple of nights after arriving in Bristol).

lingard

Coach

It goes from second person singular (a team as a single unit), to third person singular (he), and then back to second person singular (you).

parra pete

Referee
What about the random change from third person to second person halfway through? What was that meant to symbolise Pete?

I was only 17 when I wrote it...Give me a break......:lol:

This was penned in 1963....:sarcasm:

I now refer to the Mightiest Team,
This team will never run out of steam,
Its players are fast, brilliant and great,
So much, the opposition looks second rate,
But who is this team no one will beat,
Parramatta..by Parra Pete.

magpie4ever

First Grade
:lol: Reaaaaaaally...

1963, hey - start of the sexual revolution.

You should have been out trying to get a shag, off the residual of the Beatles' tour; not penning poofy poetry about a team that would continue to run last for many a year.:lol:

But, now me thinks that maybe you only reached intermediate certificate level.;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts