What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

myrrh ken

First Grade

French star could be headed down under​

There's strong mail that several NRL clubs are scouting out French Test prop Paul Séguier.

A 24-year-old no-nonsense forward, Séguier can also play second row and helped Catalans reach this year's Super League grand final.

Séguier played in the Test loss to England a week ago and held his own against the tough English pack.

And which club is leading the way to pick up Séguier for 2023? I'm hearing the Dragons are showing plenty of interest.

If only there was some member still here who would get excited about this news

davi

Juniors
Trading Pearce for Brooks? They're really playing in the big leagues, the Knights.

This story has alot of twists because Tim Sheens put out a statement that it wasn't happening. However, it was reported nine website that it was a done deal. But today the Tigers insist that it's not happening.

I suspect Luke Brooks want's out. But the Tigers are trying to convince him to stay. Look, I'm not saying Brooks has been great. But the Tigers options at the halves are sparse if Brooks leaves with Jackson Hastings and Tyrone Peachey. Peachey is part time five eight at best. Adam Doueihi doesn't come back from injury till Round 14 its been reported.

Vee

First Grade
Fa'aseuamawali (how close did I get?) expected to decide this week between Titans and Dolphins.

SBD82

Coach
You’re either unwilling or incapable of following the point I am trying to make. You have gone down the long standing trope of well my club has done this or clubs just need to get better. Stop looking at the issue as a rusted on league supporter or from the viewpoint as a club supporter - as the issue is not about my club or your club.

Try and imagine the issue from a person who is watching the game as a casual viewer. He/she has no objection to watching other sports/watching a movie whatever. They may also watch a game.
They might not support a club, in fact, probably most of them wouldn’t and if they do, it is only haphazardly. Now, think of it from the NRL’s perspective: are they more or less likely to attract these people to sit down or attend the game based on results from last year or the year before

Now I’ll freely admit that some of these woeful games can be attributed to COVID-19 or rule changes because they have inadvertently changed the way the game has been played and reduced the depth of squads (because a lot of players are no longer suited to the game etc) However the product has been absolutely dire and pretty much unwatchable in the most part.

You only have to look at the fact that our main competitor was absolutely smashing us in viewerships for the problem to be highlighted: casual viewers/supporters will just stop watching.

P.S. My team made the preliminary final one of those years so this is clearly not about my team being crap
The problem with the arguments that you’ve made for the last few pages is that you’ve based them all on a premise that you haven’t proven.

Our comp has had a greater spread of premiership winners over the past 20 years than AFL, despite not having a draft.

The last couple of years of Melbourne/roosters dominance is no different to the Bulldogs/eels in the 80’s, or Melbourne /manly in the mid 00’s/early 10’s.

I mean, they didn’t even win this year. We have a premier whose last win was early 00’s.

The disparity isn’t in the rules. It’s the fact that some clubs are run well, others are still run like chook raffles. My club spent $800k per season on Corey f**king Norman. That isn’t the fault of the Storm or the Roosters.

MugaB

Coach
The problem with the arguments that you’ve made for the last few pages is that you’ve based them all on a premise that you haven’t proven.

Our comp has had a greater spread of premiership winners over the past 20 years than AFL, despite not having a draft.

The last couple of years of Melbourne/roosters dominance is no different to the Bulldogs/eels in the 80’s, or Melbourne /manly in the mid 00’s/early 10’s.

I mean, they didn’t even win this year. We have a premier whose last win was early 00’s.

The disparity isn’t in the rules. It’s the fact that some clubs are run well, others are still run like chook raffles. My club spent $800k per season on Corey f**king Norman. That isn’t the fault of the Storm or the Roosters.
Hehe correy plodder norman, you watch this guy carve it up at redcliffe under wayne, when the cats aren't around that mouse loves to play... even got pawwa another wooden spoon.. and grafted 800k out of st.merge... what a legend!!!
norman knows.jpg

MugaB

Coach
You can’t disagree with the fact that there will always be crap teams (Wests late 90’s, Newcastle 2016 etc) but the problem is the product suffers as a whole when there is no sense of a contest in a vast majority of games.

It has undoubtedly been crap over the last couple of years. In previous years, you might get one or two games where the game was one-sided and even less when it was predicted. I don’t think there were many times over the last couple of years that I actually could sit through the whole game, mainly because the contest was dead within 20-30 mins and in a vast majority of games you could easily predict the result prior to the game. There are countless statistics over the past couple of years that reflects this abnormality.

Furthermore, to add further weight, society is spoilt for choice now. If you don’t like the League, you can choose something on Netflix, you can go watch countless other sports - I bet AFL have enjoyed the state of the game as I reckon they have had a fair few more supporters than in previously years. Myself, I can tell you I watched a lot more international cricket and Netflix last year than RL.
I can tell you three things about why there is an abundance of blowouts....
NO.1 rule changes have sped up the contest, and made the big or middle men more susceptible to fatigue, also there is more minutes, due to less stoppages from these lack of penalty stoppages... is it good i say YES!!
NO.2 poor roster management, there will ALWAYS be injuries, the better teams have contingencies... and the Roosters this year proved that in spades, with loses to Keary and a whole stack of 1st graders, where as the Eels shat the bed without Moses... see the difference? ... is this good Nope but be better at recruiting at clubland and keep your cheap rookies around longer, the more experience they get at spots 20-30 in the roster the better your squad is overall... (Mitch Kenny is a fine example)

NO.3 Lack of 1st grade talent in Spine positions, and not every team has a high percentage winning 1st grade experienced Halves/Hooker/Fullback combo... this is where the dreaded salary sõmbreró talks make a laughing stock of the rest of the league, any club that can offer an incentive to a local junior to stay for unders(before they test the market) will always do better than the rest... incentives like
*3rd parties,
*beachfront towns/fun locality
*great coaching/staff,
*other marquee players/team,
*consistant winning club culture,
These all contribute to keeping talented rookies at a stable club, if you can't manage at least half of those things, you're paying overs and blowing out your salary cap to mercenaries, who are there for that money only, whilst not contributing to some of those incentives for the rookies to remain, that means paying overs for unwanted rookies from other clubs, who are generally unwanted coz they aren't 1st graders or got squeezed out of their previous clubs roster... is this a good thing? Well it depends who you follow/support...

All in all drama sell tix, and even there's a whole heap of blow outs, there's bound to be sackings and speculation, and humiliation... (looking at you Wests.. poor, poor madge)

The casual fan isnt going to care about a salary cap or bent rules, they generally follow the local team, favorite colors, exciting mascot, or watch because a friend or family is watching it... you need answers to how to get them rusted on, not create some fake Ãrse Draft pick, to even out talent. If every club was smart they'd have a halfback acedemy or something that provides in house talent that only they can foster... and you can't leave it upto the ARLC to foster talent, coz i guarantee you itll go to areas they want these kids to play, not to where they want to/land

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade

Have we had a greater spread of winners than the AFL? Fair enough if that’s the case but have they had one or two clubs in grand finals or close enough to grand finals for decades straight?

This is the list of records in AFL since 2010

Now I compared that decade to this year’s ladder

To me, the differences are even starker than what I’d imagined. Essentially the only teams that I can see that are high on the ladder on both last year and the results over the previous decade were Geelong and Sydney (and I’m pretty sure Sydney were merda not too long ago) Carlton and Gold Coast seem to be continually crap. So the ladder looks to have flipped completely or almost completely (the teams that were good are now supposedly crap, whilst the bottom feeder clubs are on top now)

These are the results for the NRL over the past ten years

https://www.google.com.au/search?sa...TA&biw=375&bih=628&dpr=2#imgrc=AT09V5QsKnmDPM

Now comparing that to this year there is hardly as much movement. Storm, Roosters, Souths, Manly are all around the top whilst Canterbury and Brisbane have dropped and Parramatta have risen. Newcastle and Gold Coast (don’t know how long the former will stay there if Ponga goes whilst the jury is out on Gold Coast)

Unfortunately, I would say that AFL has had greater ebbs and flows than NRL based on those figures

MugaB

Coach
Have we had a greater spread of winners than the AFL? Fair enough if that’s the case but have they had one or two clubs in grand finals or close enough to grand finals for decades straight?

This is the list of records in AFL since 2010

Now I compared that decade to this year’s ladder

To me, the differences are even starker than what I’d imagined. Essentially the only teams that I can see that are high on the ladder on both last year and the results over the previous decade were Geelong and Sydney (and I’m pretty sure Sydney were merda not too long ago) Carlton and Gold Coast seem to be continually crap. So the ladder looks to have flipped completely or almost completely (the teams that were good are now supposedly crap, whilst the bottom feeder clubs are on top now)

These are the results for the NRL over the past ten years

https://www.google.com.au/search?sa=N&sxsrf=AOaemvJZwGq0ihc_XzVpANaEzQiJkJdp9w:1636453739087&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=nrl+ladder+last+10+years&hl=en-au&client=safari&fir=AT09V5QsKnmDPM%2CDXloUY4_vOhW_M%2C_%3BaQZAL44lTVrrVM%2CDXloUY4_vOhW_M%2C_%3B5SCYmZmsLNTJwM%2CN_mx9ZVqat94uM%2C_%3BOwbDai4ykABHXM%2Cp1te7MOkdeFO8M%2C_%3B7WLonu1t0wA6kM%2CYIS6lpROzRyCQM%2C_%3BBYQRvXgEPc5Q8M%2C65pPObC7SNRdzM%2C_%3BEchCfNsaVs_fYM%2CwBxU7En-gftd9M%2C_%3BBzvWodSxX9lb8M%2C5Q7oyOghRoKiZM%2C_%3Br2Vcbz0nUf6e0M%2CBOr7xrz5LLxuaM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kS_2CO5t3mFOgudWVzi1p-gRupZYA&ved=2ahUKEwjv8bqeiYv0AhXN9nMBHb8RCY44ChDsCXoECAEQTA&biw=375&bih=628&dpr=2#imgrc=AT09V5QsKnmDPM

Now comparing that to this year there is hardly as much movement. Storm, Roosters, Souths, Manly are all around the top whilst Canterbury and Brisbane have dropped and Parramatta have risen. Newcastle and Gold Coast (don’t know how long the former will stay there if Ponga goes whilst the jury is out on Gold Coast)

Unfortunately, I would say that AFL has had greater ebbs and flows than NRL based on those figures
You forgot to mention Penrith, they won this year, and made GF last year, and made 3/4 finals the previous years prior... sharks also made finals nearly every year barr this one, and they finally broke the duck egg in 2016.
There's Ebbs and flows with clubland, but there's also stable clubs that won't retract their position of strength, in how they run their club and who they recruit, and how they manage their salary cap, and juniors progression, i'd say right now Melbourne, Sydney, and Penrith are far beyond the rest of tthe clubs in those areas, all with differing attributes but similar in how they are either recruiting or retaining and also the processes throughout the club regarding 1st grade level systems... if you come from out of a storm system, gives you a more professional outlook at another club, but it doesn't mean you are a world beater, unless your greg ingles at the bunnies or cooper cronk at the roosters

Colk

First Grade
I can tell you three things about why there is an abundance of blowouts....
NO.1 rule changes have sped up the contest, and made the big or middle men more susceptible to fatigue, also there is more minutes, due to less stoppages from these lack of penalty stoppages... is it good i say YES!!
NO.2 poor roster management, there will ALWAYS be injuries, the better teams have contingencies... and the Roosters this year proved that in spades, with loses to Keary and a whole stack of 1st graders, where as the Eels shat the bed without Moses... see the difference? ... is this good Nope but be better at recruiting at clubland and keep your cheap rookies around longer, the more experience they get at spots 20-30 in the roster the better your squad is overall... (Mitch Kenny is a fine example)

NO.3 Lack of 1st grade talent in Spine positions, and not every team has a high percentage winning 1st grade experienced Halves/Hooker/Fullback combo... this is where the dreaded salary sõmbreró talks make a laughing stock of the rest of the league, any club that can offer an incentive to a local junior to stay for unders(before they test the market) will always do better than the rest... incentives like
*3rd parties,
*beachfront towns/fun locality
*great coaching/staff,
*other marquee players/team,
*consistant winning club culture,
These all contribute to keeping talented rookies at a stable club, if you can't manage at least half of those things, you're paying overs and blowing out your salary cap to mercenaries, who are there for that money only, whilst not contributing to some of those incentives for the rookies to remain, that means paying overs for unwanted rookies from other clubs, who are generally unwanted coz they aren't 1st graders or got squeezed out of their previous clubs roster... is this a good thing? Well it depends who you follow/support...

All in all drama sell tix, and even there's a whole heap of blow outs, there's bound to be sackings and speculation, and humiliation... (looking at you Wests.. poor, poor madge)

The casual fan isnt going to care about a salary cap or bent rules, they generally follow the local team, favorite colors, exciting mascot, or watch because a friend or family is watching it... you need answers to how to get them rusted on, not create some fake Ãrse Draft pick, to even out talent. If every club was smart they'd have a halfback acedemy or something that provides in house talent that only they can foster... and you can't leave it upto the ARLC to foster talent, coz i guarantee you itll go to areas they want these kids to play, not to where they want to/land

1. Are blowouts good though? It’s good for the teams winning and their supporters for sure and you could even make the argument that it makes the crap teams better (although I don’t agree with that statement - it’s more suitable for individual sports like tennis) but if you’re interested in a contest or a spectacle, why would you be interested. The whole point of sport I thought was the live element, the unpredictability of it all.

2. Poor roster management is a thing but is it also dependent on what’s available, so it partly relates to your third point. Essentially clubs on the bottom with very little chance of getting a big name player have to take punts. Sometimes they work to a degree (like Canberra with UK recruits) but invariably they don’t.

3. I agree with you that junior development has been poor but I’m curious to know why clubs remaining in charge of junior development is the way to get out of the problem, a problem that has been created by that same system.

I understand that people are attracted to the romanticism of having a junior develop at the club and playing their career there but is the system working and if it is not working, then why?

I look at the problems that Newcastle and Gold Coast have had recently and it doesn’t seem to make much sense to leave development to clubs that are financially struggling (and Rugby League clubs often struggle financially). In those circumstances, it puts those clubs in more financial peril, it doesn’t help the development in those areas because there’s not enough money invested in those areas and it doesn’t help the competition because there’s less talent coming through

AJB1102

First Grade
Lets just share the trophy around each year. Or abolish it and tell everyone they're winners just for having a go.

If shit clubs get their shit in order more good players will play there. Right now if I'm a young star like Xavier Coats I absolutely take less to play with Storm than Tigers. Win comps, get rep jerseys then when I'm on my last legs and Storm have the next me ready I go cash in at whoever is struggling and splashing cash as a desperate quick fix.

Bazal

Post Whore
@hineyrulz @Bazal

Nothing like a succulent Chinese meal with Trent and Gus!!!!

In a world plagued by baldness Reedy gon' stay right where he is to work with the only RL coach in the business with an encroaching hairline....

images

Colk

First Grade
Lets just share the trophy around each year. Or abolish it and tell everyone they're winners just for having a go.
If shit clubs get their shit in order more good players will play there. Right now if I'm a young star like Xavier Coats I absolutely take less to play with Storm than Tigers. Win comps, get rep jerseys then when I'm on my last legs and Storm have the next me ready I go cash in at whoever is struggling and splashing cash as a desperate quick fix.

That’s not really the argument I was making but anyway. Nevertheless, Rugby League is in competition with other sports, so it’s in Rugby League’s best interests to make the standard of the competition better and to make games more competitive.

In terms of the players they will still get paid and they’ll get paid more if the competition is better and more and more interested in watching it i.e supply and demand

MugaB

Coach
1. Are blowouts good though? It’s good for the teams winning and their supporters for sure and you could even make the argument that it makes the crap teams better (although I don’t agree with that statement - it’s more suitable for individual sports like tennis) but if you’re interested in a contest or a spectacle, why would you be interested. The whole point of sport I thought was the live element, the unpredictability of it all.

2. Poor roster management is a thing but is it also dependent on what’s available, so it partly relates to your third point. Essentially clubs on the bottom with very little chance of getting a big name player have to take punts. Sometimes they work to a degree (like Canberra with UK recruits) but invariably they don’t.

3. I agree with you that junior development has been poor but I’m curious to know why clubs remaining in charge of junior development is the way to get out of the problem, a problem that has been created by that same system.

I understand that people are attracted to the romanticism of having a junior develop at the club and playing their career there but is the system working and if it is not working, then why?

I look at the problems that Newcastle and Gold Coast have had recently and it doesn’t seem to make much sense to leave development to clubs that are financially struggling (and Rugby League clubs often struggle financially). In those circumstances, it puts those clubs in more financial peril, it doesn’t help the development in those areas because there’s not enough money invested in those areas and it doesn’t help the competition because there’s less talent coming through
Im not sure i understand what you mean by Newcastle and Gold Coast, both are producing a great deal of junior talent, and have passed through the rough periods of their spoons from way back, when they stopped using their local juniors, and mainly recruited mercs, and mainly overpriced jarryd Haynes, joey Leiluas.
Knights had a core group of juniors coming through and eventually pairing up with Ponga/Pearce started to come good, as have Titans with all their juniors now flourishing... both made finals this year, so they aren't an example of just poor rosters, more about nursing rookies into 1st grade talent now flourishing, Saifiti bros, Fogaty, with a few key signings of Tino, Fafita, Ponga, Pearce, Frizell