What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
As a Knights fan I can only pray the Dragons take Sims off us. Has literally done nothing in his time with the club. Hopefully he can turn it around at the Dragons

_Johnsy

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-2016-tariq-sims-to-quit-newcastle-knights-linked-to-dragons-sea-eagles/news-story/d49aa2e546740f1c10d6cdc7cda11869?from=public_rss
NEWCASTLE co-captain Tariq Sims has turned his back on a contract option to stay at the Knights next season and is poised to announce he will quit the struggling club.

Sims has been strongly linked to a move to St George Illawarra although Manly have also been mentioned as a possible destination for the fringe NSW Blues Origin backrower.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Sims broke the news of his pending departure to Knights teammates and staff on Sunday at the club’s final training session in preparation for Monday night’s clash against Parramatta at Hunter Stadium.

The backrower, who was 18th man for the Blues in last season’s final Origin game, has been mulling over his future for more than a month with the option of a new one-year deal in his favour set to expire in the next 24 hours.

He linked with the Knights from North Queensland at the start of 2015 and he and his young family bought a house in Newcastle, openly admitting earlier in the season they were keen to stay long term to help the club rebuild under coach Nathan Brown.

But it is understood the security of a long-term deal at a rival club was a major factor in his decision to leave.

Only a matter of a few weeks ago, the Knights offered Sims an upgraded contract extension that would have superseded his option for 2017.

But the club is said to have withdrawn the new deal because they were not convinced Sim’s recent form warranted the pay increase.

Brown could not be reached for a comment on Sunday and former Melbourne Storm and Australian five-eighth Scott Hill, who now manages Sims, was guarded when asked about Sim’s immediate future.

“We will probably know more in a few days,” Hill said.

Tariq Sims joined the Knights from North Queensland at the start of 2015.
“There are security issues to consider in any decision he makes because he has a young family to think about as well.”

Meanwhile, Knights co-captain Jeremy Smith will miss the Eels game as expected through injury with backrower Lachlan Fitzgibbon tipped to be added to the bench.

The decision to rest Smith before the side’s trip to Townsville next weekend could open the door for young prop Josh King to be rewarded for some strong performances with his first starting role in the NRL.

Hutty1986

Immortal
The always-reliable Mole claiming that Tariq Dim-Sims has quit Knights and coming to Dragons effective after tomorrow night's game

Sims has yet to play a outstanding game for the Knights. Brown just freed up 600 K under the cap. I doubt Sims will be the last to leave on big money.

POPEYE

Coach
Brown could do no worse than experiment with new talent, Tapine was one that got away and shouldn't have . . . will prove more valuable than any Sims

BrissyRedV

Bench
The Showstopper;11555719;40059 said:
Sims has yet to play a outstanding game for the Knights. Brown just freed up 600 K under the cap. I doubt Sims will be the last to leave on big money.

I doubt if true, Dragons are paying full freight....

Pretty average footballer nowadays. No impact whatsoever. May be that he needs the change of scenery but I doubt it. More likely that he'll never be the same after that big injury he had.

Don't think he'll improve the Dragons at all. At least the Knights will have freed up some money to go chase someone who may actually be interested.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
BrissyRedV;11555866;41817 said:
I doubt if true, Dragons are paying full freight....

Tariq was told he wouldn't be getting an upgrade for next year. If that's to be believed I can't see why he'd be moving on this year unless it was for equal or more money

Doubt the Knights are paying a cent. Would be beyond stupid if they were

BrissyRedV

Bench
Caped Crusader;11556175;45749 said:
Tariq was told he wouldn't be getting an upgrade for next year. If that's to be believed I can't see why he'd be moving on this year unless it was for equal or more money

Doubt the Knights are paying a cent. Would be beyond stupid if they were

1 year deal vs 3 year deal. That is why. Newcastle wouldn't have to pay a cent for next year. This year however, if he is released to us I highly doubt we are taking on his full rumoured contract of 500 to 600k.

Last edited:

Caped Crusader

Juniors
He asked for the release, the Knights have no obligation to pay him anything in that circumstance

Tariq has chosen to break contract to sign elsewhere

Of course this is the Knights, so they at probably paying the full $600 k :lol:

betcats

Referee
Tommy Smith;11556235;7402 said:
Yep.

A very average player these days.

Exactlt the sort of player the Dragons tend to sign now.

Who did you guys sign to replace the 3 rep players you lost? Oh that's right Dale Copley and that Pommy bloke :sarcasm:.

Its a shame how Tariqs career has turned out he was so promising before the breaks. He will improve that dragons pack. He is average but he isn't the same average as someone like Marketo though.

Last edited:

Latest posts