What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

Colk

First Grade
Oh please. In relation to point 1, that was not why it was introduced. I'm old enough to have been alive when the NSWRL brought it in. It had nothing to do with "spreading the talent" and everything to do with point 2.

If a salary cap alone "spread the talent" then you would not have many sports with salary caps and drafts. So please, spare me the PR spin as I didn't come down in the last shower.

FMD that is what I have been arguing the whole time. Thanks for confirming my point that something needs to be added to the salary cap in order for talent to be distributed.

This is mainly because your club and a few others are particularly advantaged by the current set up - a salary cap that nobody can police and TPA’s which are completely nebulous and generally favour clubs with closer corporate connections. Essentially any club outside of a metro area has no chance of winning a competition under the current arrangement - you might consider that melodramatic but it’s true. It’s also only going to get multitudes worse if you want to expand to places like PNG because if places like Canberra, Newcastle or North QLD can’t compete in the player market then PNG haven’t got a chance in hell and the competition will suffer significantly.

MugaB

Coach
FMD that is what I have been arguing the whole time. Thanks for confirming my point that something needs to be added to the salary cap in order for talent to be distributed.

This is mainly because your club and a few others are particularly advantaged by the current set up - a salary cap that nobody can police and TPA’s which are completely nebulous and generally favour clubs with closer corporate connections. Essentially any club outside of a metro area has no chance of winning a competition under the current arrangement - you might consider that melodramatic but it’s true. It’s also only going to get multitudes worse if you want to expand to places like PNG because if places like Canberra, Newcastle or North QLD can’t compete in the player market then PNG haven’t got a chance in hell and the competition will suffer significantly.
Why do we think that the buying off the player market = premiership.... roosters, dogs and eels are always in the market, what good has it done them?
Only need to look at Storm or Penrith to see where clubs can prosper, and yes storm that's right, don't see them splurge on players from other clubs, more likely they upgrade what they have and source our the best teenagers they can from nsw/qld/nz but generally aren't buying "marquees" they are creating them... no reason a new expansion club can't do the same, it's not all about the drawing power of said city, Perth, Port moresby and Christchurch aren't offering anything different to what Canberra or Newcastle do, so you'll see that same type team, not some glamour club who buys off the market

Why do we think that the buying off the player market = premiership.... roosters, dogs and eels are always in the market, what good has it done them?
Only need to look at Storm or Penrith to see where clubs can prosper, and yes storm that's right, don't see them splurge on players from other clubs, more likely they upgrade what they have and source our the best teenagers they can from nsw/qld/nz but generally aren't buying "marquees" they are creating them... no reason a new expansion club can't do the same, it's not all about the drawing power of said city, Perth, Port moresby and Christchurch aren't offering anything different to what Canberra or Newcastle do, so you'll see that same type team, not some glamour club who buys off the market
Sharks have been doing the same in recent times.

We have brought through a lot of talent of our own.

Yes we have gone to the market for a few premium buys but only because of deficiencies in a couple of areas. We definitely haven’t been reliant on the market to construct a more than competitive team.

Woody90

Juniors
no reason a new expansion club can't do the same, it's not all about the drawing power of said city, Perth, Port moresby and Christchurch aren't offering anything different to what Canberra or Newcastle do, so you'll see that same type team, not some glamour club who buys off the market

I’m all for expansion, but PNG is the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard when you consider the current rules. Very few players would go there to start with, if they did uncover a homegrown star the likes of the Roosters would poach them right away, and you can bet the Storm will be in there forming a junior pathways club there to take from their junior base.

Canberra and Newcastle do OK. Probably punch above their weight considering the rosters they’re able to put together or retain, but when you purely look at their rosters, they’re not ever going to win another premiership. Do we really want to introduce more teams who at their best might reach a Knights or Raiders level? I personally don’t want an EPL situation where you have 4-5 clubs with a chance of winning it every year and the rest just making up the numbers and under the current rules if we expand into some of the areas named that’s what we’ll be getting.

MugaB

Coach
I’m all for expansion, but PNG is the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard when you consider the current rules. Very few players would go there to start with, if they did uncover a homegrown star the likes of the Roosters would poach them right away, and you can bet the Storm will be in there forming a junior pathways club there to take from their junior base.

Canberra and Newcastle do OK. Probably punch above their weight considering the rosters they’re able to put together or retain, but when you purely look at their rosters, they’re not ever going to win another premiership. Do we really want to introduce more teams who at their best might reach a Knights or Raiders level? I personally don’t want an EPL situation where you have 4-5 clubs with a chance of winning it every year and the rest just making up the numbers and under the current rules if we expand into some of the areas named that’s what we’ll be getting.
Yeah I bet that's what was said of Penrith pre 2019

soc123_au

Staff member
You're slightly less likely to get murdered by a machete wielding man with a kindergarten reading level in Port Moresby.
That only because not many of us have a reading level that high. As for the machete murder bit, thats a given. I was murdered twice yesterday just going to the letterbox, once on the way out and then again on the way back in. 2nd time was with a broken Jim Beam bottle though, so not sure if it counts.

Bazal

Post Whore
That only because not many of us have a reading level that high. As for the machete murder bit, thats a given. I was murdered twice yesterday just going to the letterbox, once on the way out and then again on the way back in. 2nd time was with a broken Jim Beam bottle though, so not sure if it counts.

If a broken Beam bottle does you in you're a soft Roosters fan and deserved it

Saxon

Bench
"beam"?! Pah. No Roosters fan would be caught dead with that swill. If its not a 10 year old single malt scotch then they're no Roosters fan :p
10 years? For shame. Scotch should be at least old enough to drive. (Well, to get a learner's permit at least.)

Latest posts