What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

The_Frog

First Grade
If Coach hair can pull off the signing of 2 vet forwards, an engine of a 2nd rower and a quality centre like Burns for Clune and Blacker, the dude should be straight up there with BM in the Mensa ranks. Surely that's a bridge to far for even he with so much hair!
Burns is a backrower.

Lolo, reynolds and cam smith incoming

I don't think so. Friend was in the final year of his contract, so medical retirement or no, according to media reports, the Roosters won't have salary cap relief. Once he gets back on the field,. Sam Verrills we be our starting hooker. Also why would we sign Reynolds? Walker looks like he'll be our halfback of the future.

redVinme

Bench
I don't think so. Friend was in the final year of his contract, so medical retirement or no, according to media reports, the Roosters won't have salary cap relief. Once he gets back on the field,. Sam Verrills we be our starting hooker. Also why would we sign Reynolds? Walker looks like he'll be our halfback of the future.

So are you saying that you will continue to pay friend on the cap this year? If not that is dispensation in itself. There should be no need for cap relief. I was just making a joke but yeh verrills is solid.

So are you saying that you will continue to pay friend on the cap this year? If not that is dispensation in itself. There should be no need for cap relief. I was just making a joke but yeh verrills is solid.

Go ask the NRL. I'm not the salary cap auditor. Also "dispensation" means the NRL granted something not usually available, or that is discretionary.

Edit: Thanks to the NRL's website I found the answer in this article (source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/08/friend-announces-immediate-retirement/) which states -

Friend's retirement will not provide the Roosters with any salary cap relief as NRL rules stipulate that dispensation from a medical retirement cannot be claimed in the same season an injury is suffered.

Last edited:

mistertaylor

Juniors
Morgan's shoulder injury was suffered last year wasn't it? So the Cows should get dispensation following his medical retirement...?

Morgan's shoulder injury was suffered last year wasn't it? So the Cows should get dispensation following his medical retirement...?

As per the NRL rules his salary for this year will be included in the cap - his remaining 2 years -2022 and 2023 will be exempt from the cap. Morgan played 2 games in 2021 so his retirement can't be retrospective.

Morgan signed a 5 year 5 million deal with the Cows - 2019-2023.

Last edited:

Someguy

First Grade

hahaha!.....hahaha!...... oh your serious!? Medical retirement is almost impossible to get from the NRL can only really think of 2 examples where it wasn’t a totally life changing injury. One went on to play overseas and the other was likely approved in an effort to avoid incoming off field issues.