What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I dont want excitment, I get enough of that watching our side plum new depths of derp every week

What I want is a little composure and professionalism so that shit doesnt fall apart when the going gets tough out there. I want a steady hand and some god damn leadership in a tight match.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I dont want excitment, I get enough of that watching our side plum new depths of derp every week

What I want is a little composure and professionalism so that shit doesnt fall apart when the going gets tough out there. I want a steady hand and some god damn leadership in a tight match.

Well said. I wish for this also.

Alex28

Coach
We are very very hard to please. When is the last time we have been in contention to sign an Origin spine player? If ever? We are, and we have some saying "great", we have some saying we should sign some fringe halfback who is no better that Tyrone Roberts, and we have some who use the opportunity to keep whinging and bemoaning our current form even though management are actually trying to do something about it.

The people around the Knights - who are obviously listening to what Knights Rebuild are saying and are most likely reading this forum - must look at this and think "these people can't be pleased". They appear to be right.

Matt Gidley should be credited for having the balls to have a shot at getting the best halfback on the market at this point. Good on him.

ryana87

Juniors
Apparently he is making his decision before origin 3.......i really feel he will go to titans..... I just can't see us signing a good half anytime soon.... Even though we desperately need one

Was not sold on Hodkinson to begin with but the more I watch him he is exactly the half Mullo needs to thrive IMO. A very composed player.

aqua_duck

Coach
FTR I would welcome Hodkinson but only at the right price. He's not a 700k halfback, if we get him for 2-3 years on 500-550k is be stoked but you have to put a maximum on what you're willing to pay for certain players. As I said before Hodkinson is a nice piece to have in your team but he's not a player you give the ball to a say "win me the game", when you're paying 650-700k a year then you need them to be the player you build the team around

perverse

Referee
FTR I would welcome Hodkinson but only at the right price. He's not a 700k halfback, if we get him for 2-3 years on 500-550k is be stoked but you have to put a maximum on what you're willing to pay for certain players. As I said before Hodkinson is a nice piece to have in your team but he's not a player you give the ball to a say "win me the game", when you're paying 650-700k a year then you need them to be the player you build the team around
This is my main problem. He's worth Mullen money at best, but will cost us a lot more than that. People already get the shits about Mullens contract, Uates contract, etc. If Hodkinson didn't turn us into world beaters, and I don't believe he will, then we'll be sitting there looking at this contract in 12 or 24 months go and blaming the club for another huge f**k up.

He's very lucky to be in the Origin team, given that Des was going to drop him. Has been totally useless this year bar the last few weeks - but because Daley has shown some faith in him he's still commanding the massive money. Hodkinson won't have worked with a forward pack as shitty as ours. I don't think he would change what is going on here at the moment much at all, to be honest.

If we get him, I'll have to back him and cross my fingers... but I won't be upset if we miss out. The reason why I think it's more prudent to take a gamble on a cheapie at this point is that there are other parts of our squad that need class just as badly - and there are genuinely good gamble options in the halves on the market.

aqua_duck

Coach
This is my main problem. He's worth Mullen money at best, but will cost us a lot more than that. People already get the shits about Mullens contract, Uates contract, etc. If Hodkinson didn't turn us into world beaters, and I don't believe he will, then we'll be sitting there looking at this contract in 12 or 24 months go and blaming the club for another huge f**k up.

He's very lucky to be in the Origin team, given that Des was going to drop him. Has been totally useless this year bar the last few weeks - but because Daley has shown some faith in him he's still commanding the massive money. Hodkinson won't have worked with a forward pack as shitty as ours. I don't think he would change what is going on here at the moment much at all, to be honest.

If we get him, I'll have to back him and cross my fingers... but I won't be upset if we miss out. The reason why I think it's more prudent to take a gamble on a cheapie at this point is that there are other parts of our squad that need class just as badly - and there are genuinely good gamble options in the halves on the market.
This. Hodkinson is good when the team is up by 20 and is looking for someone with composure to just settle the tempo down, control things but if you're chasing points you might as well take him off which is exactly what happened 3 weeks ago when dogs played saints. For us how often will he be tasked to protect a 10-20 point lead?

Knight Vision

First Grade
We are very very hard to please. When is the last time we have been in contention to sign an Origin spine player? If ever? We are, and we have some saying "great", we have some saying we should sign some fringe halfback who is no better that Tyrone Roberts, and we have some who use the opportunity to keep whinging and bemoaning our current form even though management are actually trying to do something about it.

The people around the Knights - who are obviously listening to what Knights Rebuild are saying and are most likely reading this forum - must look at this and think "these people can't be pleased". They appear to be right.

Matt Gidley should be credited for having the balls to have a shot at getting the best halfback on the market at this point. Good on him.

Finally a voice of considered reason among the cacophony of half baked ideological stupidity. I seriously am thankful I'll never be fighting in the trenches with this lot.

aqua_duck

Coach
Finally a voice of considered reason among the cacophony of half baked ideological stupidity. I seriously am thankful I'll never be fighting in the trenches with this lot.

Why? Because we aren't the type to buy something for extreme overs just because we want it? 2 years ago this same scenario came up with Aku, he's a good player but wanted crazy money for a winger, we yielded and everyone was blowing their loads, saying oh he's worth it, he's our only good player, he'll attract extra sponsors, fans, etc. 2 years on and we're all looking at his contract as a massive hindrance.
As I said before, maybe you're unable to read and comprehend, no one is against signing Hodkinson, but you have to draw the line somewhere in terms of his worth. I mean would you be happy if we gave him Cooper Cronk type money?

Alex28

Coach
No, it's because we ask the club to do something, and even though there are no other options at his calibre on the market we are still bitching about it.

How about we overpay Tyrone Roberts and bitch about that? Even still, let's cut Roberts for Mitchell f***ing Cornish and bitch about that?

Now that the club is finally aspiring to be something better than what it is, how about we get on board and aspire to recruit the best we can with what's on the market.

TooheysNew

Coach
No, it's because we ask the club to do something, and even though there are no other options at his calibre on the market we are still bitching about it.

How about we overpay Tyrone Roberts and bitch about that? Even still, let's cut Roberts for Mitchell f***ing Cornish and bitch about that?

Now that the club is finally aspiring to be something better than what it is, how about we get on board and aspire to recruit the best we can with what's on the market.
This.

mozza91

Coach

But it's so much easier to piss and moan without offering any real solutions. I'm pretty sure that's the #KnightsRebuild manifesto.

Noname36

First Grade
But it's so much easier to piss and moan without offering any real solutions. I'm pretty sure that's the #KnightsRebuild manifesto.

FTR I can't understand the people bitching and moaning about us going after Hodkinson either, but you obviously don't understand what the #knightsrebuild movement is about. It's not our responsibility to offer solutions...however as money-paying members we certainly have a right to question how the club (which we support both finically and emotionally) is being run. Every single fanbase in the NRL expect accountability by those in charge...the Knights have gotten off the hook in this regard for far too long because the average fan is happy to support failure year after year. The club isn't under pressure to make the tough decisions to make the club successful because in their eyes the fans are happy to accept anything. If nothing else, the #knightsbebuild movement is hopefully going to show them that there are parts of the fan base that are unhappy with the constant failure and it may bring about some pressure to force change.

Burwood

Bench
The salary cap is $6.8m next year, $7m in 2017 and god knows what in 2018 if we get a TV deal worth $1.5b-$2b. Paying $700,000/yr or ~10% for a player that will add value to many other players in our squad is money well spent.

mozza91

Coach
Mozza91 is a true fan.

You know it!
I liked the idea of the Rebuild thing initially but they aren't gonna change anything. I also couldn't cop the claim about us showing interest in Hodkinson was due to their pressure or something of that ilk.
I even liked the facebook page but I think it's abit naive to know what culture and attitude a club has based on 80 minutes of football each week.

aqua_duck

Coach
Ok so what if he wants Thurston money? Where do we draw the line? The rebuild campaign (for me anyway) was never about going out and paying overs for someone just so we can't pay ourselves on the back and not actually greatly improve the team. I've always been about a clean out and last time I checked that involved more than just pinning our entire future on the 7th or 8th best halfback in the comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts