What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Lamb back to reserves and Pearce starting half with Watson.

Pearce would be an excellent signing. I don’t want to lose lamb but hope he would stay for it.

My mind always goes back to Cooper Cronk...

He was a prodigy as a kid, but couldnt break into the halves past Orford or Hill. By the time Orford left and he got first right to the HB spot, he was 23.

He could easily have moved on to another club and jumped up the pecking order a year or two sooner, but my guess is that he liked the club/the coach/the culture and decided to bide his time.

My point is, I dont think bringing in Pearce/Maloney/whoever is a sure sign that we will lose Brock. As long as Brown manages the situation well, and gives the right assurances, i dont see why Brock would feel the need to leave, should we sign Pearce.

(having said that, Pearce is a bit "meh" for me. His reputation has carried him far further than his talents have...)

macavity

Referee
Pearce takes us from bottom 4 to top 8. Rubbish at state level but has been a top 5 NRL halfback for a long time.

Watson to centre. has the speed, footwork and can pass. A little undersized, but a strong bugger and no smaller than the likes of Jennings.

Solves a lot of problems.

Having said that, I don't think he leaves Sydney. If he wants out of the Roosters, he ends up at Manly surely.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Pearce takes us from bottom 4 to top 8. Rubbish at state level but has been a top 5 NRL halfback for a long time.

Watson to centre. has the speed, footwork and can pass. A little undersized, but a strong bugger and no smaller than the likes of Jennings.

Having said that, I don't think he leaves Sydney. If he wants out of the Roosters, he ends up at Manly surely.

I get your point but I am a little concerned with the number of new players and the draw we have the expectations for 2018 might be a little high. I would call top 10 a successful season and think that will be a stretch target.

macavity

Referee
I get your point but I am a little concerned with the number of new players and the draw we have the expectations for 2018 might be a little high. I would call top 10 a successful season and think that will be a stretch target.

As we stand we are still bottom 4

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It's looking like Pearce will end up at Manly at this stage. Why uproot his whole life and move out of town to play for the wooden spooners (and probably kiss his NSW jersey goodbye) when he can stay in Sydney and play in a top 8 team that will be even better next year.

Frederick

Staff member
It's looking like Pearce will end up at Manly at this stage. Why uproot his whole life and move out of town to play for the wooden spooners (and probably kiss his NSW jersey goodbye) when he can stay in Sydney and play in a top 8 team that will be even better next year.
I dunno, has anyone told him we’ve got pretty good dog parks up here?

Spot On

Coach
Surely Pearce doesn't get another NSW gig no matter which club he is at.

That just has to stop ffs.

I hope he goes to Manly.

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors

Never thought about Watson at centre. That’s probably the best possible make up.

1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. Moga
4. Watson
5. SKD
6. Lamb
7. Pearce

That’s a solid back 7

Frederick

Staff member
Never thought about Watson at centre. That’s probably the best possible make up.

1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. Moga
4. Watson
5. SKD
6. Lamb
7. Pearce

That’s a solid back 7

1. Ponga
2. Ross
3. Moga
4. Watson
5. SKD
6. Lamb
7. Pearce
8. Daifiti
9. Levi
10. Ese’ese
11. Sione
12. Guerra
13. Barnett

14. Buhrer
15. Lillyman
16. Heighington
17. Jaifiti

I can dig that.

Burwood

Bench
4/7 players in that backline from the Roosters- at least we’re getting players from good systems now, and not the bottom dwellers like in the past.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Surely Pearce doesn't get another NSW gig no matter which club he is at.

That just has to stop ffs.

I hope he goes to Manly.

No offence intended but I don't understand. You're happy to take an unproven Watson and Ponga but a proven NSW halfback that has carried his team to the finals on multiple occasions you're against?

Pearce is the kind of signing that Newcastle need. You can talk about Brock lamb's "potential" for a few more years or you can be a serious top 8 threat. Watson and Pearce is a top 8 halves combo. Watson and Lamb is doomed for failure.

Old dog

Bench
Why would Pearce go to manly to play 6 alongside DCE 7 instead of staying home at roosters to play 6 alongside Cronk 7, don't make sense.
Unless he has told club he will look elsewhere hoping they will back off Cronk because they will loose him, he can play 4-5 years, Cronk 2.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
No offence intended but I don't understand. You're happy to take an unproven Watson and Ponga but a proven NSW halfback that has carried his team to the finals on multiple occasions you're against?

Pearce is the kind of signing that Newcastle need. You can talk about Brock lamb's "potential" for a few more years or you can be a serious top 8 threat. Watson and Pearce is a top 8 halves combo. Watson and Lamb is doomed for failure.
Bit far to say he carried his team to the finals. Id say quite a few of his team mates contributed to the Roosters finals campaigns over the years

However i do agree he would be good for Newcastle. Certainly a better option than Lamb

Why would Pearce go to manly to play 6 alongside DCE 7 instead of staying home at roosters to play 6 alongside Cronk 7, don't make sense.
Unless he has told club he will look elsewhere hoping they will back off Cronk because they will loose him, he can play 4-5 years, Cronk 2.

Not sure it will be up to him. Keary was exceptional for them last year and is younger. Any club would trade Cronk for Pearce even if it is for only 2 years

Spot On

Coach

No offence taken and I'll take your points.

However, Watson and Lamb can't be much worse than Reynolds and Walker.

Pearce is a failure in the NSW jersey. I can't explain that any other way. He is not a rep standard half. Very, very far from it.

I do6nt see much in Pearce at all. He over plays his hand in attack and stuffs up a lot of what the Roosters are trying to do with the ball in the attacking zone. He is best to catch and pass but too often he won't. His kicking game is ...... ordinary.

Yes he defends well most of the time. Tick.

I'm more than happy to watch the doomed pairing of Lamb and Watson. But can we give them some time and experience before taking the razor to them???

That's about the only thing Pearce has that they don't yet - experience.

It's Browny's arse that's in the sling and I understand his need for an experienced half.

That was Hagan's theory with the last NSW origin halfback we signed. Unfortunately they are all shiiite - Reynolds is quickly going the same way.

Last edited:

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Contract talks with Sione have been placed on hold until the club is satisfied that he is in good enough health with his head knocks.

He will be free to negotiate with other clubs next year if we don’t re sign him.

We are obviously looking at this from a liability point of view with the macmanus thing and also if he would be able to last the length of the new contract

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Yeah. Nov 1st. Wonder if any clubs will look at him considering the way we are going about it.

I don’t reckon he will look elsewhere tbh.

Latest posts