What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Glendale

Juniors
No offence taken and I'll take your points.

However, Watson and Lamb can't be much worse than Reynolds and Walker.

Pearce is a failure in the NSW jersey. I can't explain that any other way. He is not a rep standard half. Very, very far from it.

I do6nt see much in Pearce at all. He over plays his hand in attack and stuffs up a lot of what the Roosters are trying to do with the ball in the attacking zone. He is best to catch and pass but too often he won't. His kicking game is ...... ordinary.

Yes he defends well most of the time. Tick.

I'm more than happy to watch the doomed pairing of Lamb and Watson. But can we give them some time and experience before taking the razor to them???

That's about the only thing Pearce has that they don't yet - experience.

It's Browny's arse that's in the sling and I understand his need for an experienced half.

That was Hagan's theory with the last NSW origin halfback we signed. Unfortunately they are all shiiite - Reynolds is quickly going the same way.

Agree with all of this.

What people need to understand is Watson isn’t moving anywhere. He signed here to play 6 and that’s where he’ll play. Ponga will be fullback. If Pearce comes then Brock has to wait 2 years in Reserve Grade. There are potential benefits of this but there’s probably more risks that outweigh the benefits. His career could stagnate or he could go to another club, his contract expires end of 2018. His performances at the back end 2017 shows he is ready for first grade now, there’s no need to wait. To push him back on hold right now would just seem pointless- especially if it’s to sign Pearce.

I could fully understand the pursuit of a Cronk or Maloney, proven experienced winners who undoubtedly make our team instantly better. Pearce is very good, but there’s a bit of doubt there. Pearce is a guy who consistently goes missing in big matches. Those saying Pearce makes us an instant premiership contender are grossly overestimating the ability of Pearce, he’s good, but not great. Heck, slots’ stats pointed out yesterday that Pearce was not even marginally better then Lamb in 2017.

Pearce off.

slotmachine

First Grade
If you're not impressed by Pearce's stats don't look at Maloney's.
Unless you enjoy penalties (1st) and missed tackles (2nd).

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I don’t think anyone has said he’s going to make us a premiership contender, more a top 8 contender.

Pearce has plenty of finals wins under his belt, a premiership and 3 minor premierships. He can definitely play big games. Origin is a different kettle of fish and there’s probably only a handful of halves in the entire history of the game that may have managed a series win over qld in this era of dominance.

If lamb goes, he goes. We could potentially have Pearce and Watson as our halves for 5 years anyway.

Spot On

Coach
Pearce has generally been the NSW half in this era of QLD dominance HCF.

A rep half he is not. Just shows how effing poor the quality of NSW halves has been. It is deplorable.

Pearce had one repeat set in 17 games for NSW.

WTF? How is that even possible?

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
Yeah but what I am saying there isn’t many halves in the history of the game that would have come up with a different result, Queensland are just that good.

Spot On

Coach
Yeah but what I am saying there isn’t many halves in the history of the game that would have come up with a different result, Queensland are just that good.

I do not deny the true quality of the QLD dynasty but many games, series after series, were lost be tiny margins. I truly believe NSW were good enough to win many of them if we had a playmaker that could have done just that - make a few plays. Get a few repeat sets. Provide direction. Not butcher 3 and 4 man overlaps and so on.

First Grade
They say its between manly and us getting pearce,i think we have the edge on them for a few reasons. 1-with him in our side we are genuine top 8 material,2- manly only just scrap into the finals so i dont see how they are a much better side then us next year3-plus playing with ex rooster mates is a plus and we could easily trump manly offer hands down if we want to go down that path.
4, Manly has never beaten Newcastle in a Grand Final :)

Alex28

Coach
Pearce has generally been the NSW half in this era of QLD dominance HCF.

A rep half he is not. Just shows how effing poor the quality of NSW halves has been. It is deplorable.

Pearce had one repeat set in 17 games for NSW.

WTF? How is that even possible?
Is he going to be playing Queensland every week?

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
I’m a Queenslander and I really don’t think Pearce is the blame for NSW woes.

There has been a few series where any play was legit bungled with Robbie Farah at hooker. There has also been a heap of occasions where Gallen has tried to play half and has stifled the play. Where has Maloney been during these pressure moments? Has nsw had a decent play making fullback like queensland?

It’s a lot harder to target Queensland’s playmakers because we have so many, nsw solely rely on Pearce to do something, he’s easily targeted, that’s if the play wasn’t screwed before getting to him.

But with being the halfback lies the blame for every loss. Such is the position.

I have always been a believer that if Cronk was playing for nsw and Pearce for qld Pearce would have been spoken about a lot differently, as would Cronk.

Spot On

Coach
I’m a Queenslander and I really don’t think Pearce is the blame for NSW woes.

There has been a few series where any play was legit bungled with Robbie Farah at hooker. There has also been a heap of occasions where Gallen has tried to play half and has stifled the play. Where has Maloney been during these pressure moments? Has nsw had a decent play making fullback like queensland?

It’s a lot harder to target Queensland’s playmakers because we have so many, nsw solely rely on Pearce to do something, he’s easily targeted, that’s if the play wasn’t screwed before getting to him.

But with being the halfback lies the blame for every loss. Such is the position.

I have always been a believer that if Cronk was playing for nsw and Pearce for qld Pearce would have been spoken about a lot differently, as would Cronk.

Nowhere have I said he is to blame. There are many factors in a loss.

However, he is a play maker and make the play he could not, especially when it was really needed.

I don't think that can be argued or watered down.

Farah was replaced with Peats this year to enable Mitch to run the show.

Same result. Different year.

Mitch goes off in game one and NSW put 18 points on in quick time.

A halfback has a specific role in the team - control and make the play.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
To be fair to Pearce his rep form and club form are two totally different subjects.

It's true that Pearce has a really poor record at rep level but it's a team sport and he's one of 17 guys who takes the field in each of those games so you can't put all the blame on him. That being said he's definitely failed to ice the game on a bunch of occasions when needed and has been lucky to play the number of games that he has so far but NSW hasn't exactly been flush with better options either. And to be fair to Pearce he's deserved to be picked the last couple of years based on his club form.

In terms of club football he's a totally different player and imo has been one of the top 3 or 4 halves in the comp for the last 5 years or so. It's true that there have been other guys who've had richer veigns of form during that period, (i.e. Thurston 2015, Maloney 2016, Morgan 2017) but Pearce has consistently held form over the last 5 years and it shows in the fact that the roosters were minor premiers 3 times in a row as well as a top 2 finish this year and the only time that they haven't finished top 2 in the last 5 years was when Pearce was suspended for the off-field stuff. When the Roosters were struggling last year they became a totally different team when Pearce was back on the field.

All in all it could definitely be argued that Pearce hasn't stood up when needed at Origin level but at club level I feel that his record speaks for himself so it's a bit of a myth that he isn't a big game player at club level.

Besides I don't think that Origin form means anything when it comes to club footy. I would rather get Pearce as a great club player and an average Origin player than what we've had with Gagai over the last couple of years.

Obviously I'm in favour of getting Pearce.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
Also, Pearce gives us a little pulling power when it comes to free agents, say we get mitch.

Next season we go 11-10 and finish on the cusp of the 8 or just in it, makes our club massively enticing to the odd big name/big game player, the knock on effect for years to come could mean another golden generation.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

R1 - 26 yes.

After that - no.

The Roosters are now convinced he does not have the ability to get them the trophy.

But I take yours and others' points.

Finals form doesn't mean much if we don't make the finals in the first place. I know the grand plan is to win a premiership in the not-too-distant future but honestly over the next couple of seasons I would settle for having a team that looks good week in week out and actually plays finals footy even if we get knocked out week 1. I would at least feel like we're making some progress up the ladder that way. Then we would have more pulling power with elite level talent if we're playing finals footy on a regular basis.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Besides I don't think that Origin form means anything when it comes to club footy. I would rather get Pearce as a great club player and an average Origin player than what we've had with Gagai over the last couple of years.

This...so much this. I couldn't give less of a s*** about Origin if I'm hearing the Newcastle chant reverberate around stadiums come finals time. I want players that value the Knights jersey first and foremost. Origin is completely beige these days anyway.

Latest posts