What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

slotmachine

First Grade
Made sense due to his utility value, need to find someone who can cover fullback at least.

As a starting hooker, not so much.

Spot On

Coach
.... waiting to see if other clubs are interested in his services.

What services??? Can't headbutt or shoulder charge anymore or he'll be on an extended holiday. Doesn't carry the ball well at all.

FFS.

Loose Cannon

Bench
.... waiting to see if other clubs are interested in his services.

What services??? Can't headbutt or shoulder charge anymore or he'll be on an extended holiday. Doesn't carry the ball well at all.

FFS.
We should offer him $9 for four years, just to f with whatever brain he has.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Disagree re Brown's search for a 9. The search is still continuing. Taking one name from 15 or so that have been used is simply suiting another agenda.

Fact is, we are into the 4th year of Brown's tenure and we have not found an 80 min hooker.

And to all of you who are snoring, snoozing, offended, upset, shaking your head, sick of the off season, wasting bandwith, fixated on another site, garbage collecting, finding parts of the discussion frustrating etc etc etc........ it is very easy to opt out.... or doesn't that suit you agenda?

Ok. Who should Brown have signed in the last 4 years to fix the problem that would have come to Newcastle?

What were his better options?

Pedge1971

First Grade
I reckon we should all take a deep breath, relax and remember one thing, we all support the same team (I think). We’ve all been through a terrible few years but things are on the up. Obviously there’s a few differing opinions, which is awesome because our club is built on passion and pride, however let’s remember we’re all meant to be on the same page. Regarding #9, I trust Browney (having bagged him in the past I think his recruitment has earned that) and some on here will be right and some wrong in hindsight regarding Mann, Griffin,Levi and Woolford. I propose that we stop bagging each other, support OUR TEAM, and whoever is wrong shouts those who we’re right a few beers once we win the comp in October. GO KNIGHTS!

Nah. We dont need to be on the same page. Everyone here (except Woosh) is arguing cause they care and want to see the club successful and they care. Disagreements are healthy, much better banter as well.

Perhaps they are going through a bit of a rebuild? Segeyaro is better short term but perhaps they wanna build a team that can challenge in 2-3 years later and Levi is younger and could be reaching his prime in those years while Segeyaro will be on the decline?

Not sure but they are more than welcome to have him. Woolford seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and is coming from a winning culture. Need a palette cleansing anyway.

Winning culture? Bulldogs and Raiders?

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
Nah. We dont need to be on the same page. Everyone here (except Woosh) is arguing cause they care and want to see the club successful and they care. Disagreements are healthy, much better banter as well.

Winning culture? Bulldogs and Raiders?

He won reserve grade last year no?

Spot On

Coach
Ok. Who should Brown have signed in the last 4 years to fix the problem that would have come to Newcastle?

What were his better options?

As I said, the search continues. We have tried enough players in the position, possibly 3 to 4 fold of any other club in the past 3 seasons. Now Levi is on the outer too. I have no idea what Brown wants in his no 9. Do you? It looks as though he doesn't want an 80 min hooker so therefore he makes it extremely difficult to recruit a good one don't you think? Near impossible to recruit an established no 9. Brown puts the club out of the market due to this. We then have to buy guys that are not in the top bracket, that are less skilful and are happy to play half a game and have their role constantly change. Established no 9's dont want that. Brown seems content to try and manufacture his hookers.

None of us are privy to the relocation desires of any or all players who wear the no 9 jumper so its anyone's guess who would move to Newcastle. But I do know we have a hell of a lot of players who are playing for the club that have had to move here.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
What makes you say he doesn't want an 80 minute hooker? Just because most of the players in the position since he's been here have had to job share, it doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't want an 80 minute hooker, but instead means he recognises the players we have aren't able to fill that role adequately and, to date, he hasn't been able to unearth one in our system or recruit one to the club

Spot On

Coach
I've clearly stated I don't know if he wants an 80 min hooker.

I don't know if he's trying to find a combo like he had last year.

People have pointed out he did target a player for the no 9 jersey in Griffin but he did not play him as an 80 min hooker. Do you think if Griff was fit he would be playing 80 mins in the no 9 this year? I don't.

What makes you think he does want an 80 min hooker? My apologies if Brown has consistently said publicly that he desperately wants an 80 min no 9. I have missed it.

Next year he is after Mann to play starting hooker and is happy to let Levi go. That leaves us with Mann, Buhrer who no oone wants in the 9 and a baby in Woolford. No 80 min hookers there.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
I've clearly stated I don't know if he wants an 80 min hooker.

I don't know if he's trying to find a combo like he had last year.

People have pointed out he did target a player for the no 9 jersey in Griffin but he did not play him as an 80 min hooker. Do you think if Griff was fit he would be playing 80 mins in the no 9 this year? I don't.

What makes you think he does want an 80 min hooker? My apologies if Brown has consistently said publicly that he desperately wants an 80 min no 9. I have missed it.

Next year he is after Mann to play starting hooker and is happy to let Levi go. That leaves us with Mann, Buhrer who no oone wants in the 9 and a baby in Woolford. No 80 min hookers there.
I don't remember him making comments either way, so really it's all speculation at the moment.

Woolford is an unknown quantity at this stage. If he's anything like his father then he may end up being an 80 minute hooker

Bartwah

Juniors
I don't remember him making comments either way, so really it's all speculation at the moment.

Woolford is an unknown quantity at this stage. If he's anything like his father then he may end up being an 80 minute hooker
And he seems to making a great impression at training, a good sign

Johns Magic

Referee
Brown hasn't pinned his hopes on any of the near 13 or 14 players he's given a go at hooker.

So what is your whole point about having tried 15 hookers other than it being circumstantial?

Griff has grit and good defensive technique but he is lacking in other areas. Not a threat at sll out of dummy half and service is pretty predictable too.

For mine Brown still hasn't found the hooker we need or I'd like to see play 80 mins each week.

Ok so what you're saying is we haven't found the hooker you want. Brown found what he wanted in Griffin. I agree Griffin isn't the best hooker in the competition but it's not Brown being fussy as you're implying.

You are doing your condescending thing again JM.

Well yeah I was replying in kind wasn't I.

Can you name which hookers are out there that you'd pay up to pinch from their current club if they were off-contract?

Spot On

Coach
Nice to see you back JM.

I can't be any clearer on those points above. It is easy to see my thoughts on our search for a number 9.

If we are after an 80 min hooker I'd be inclined to happily take nearly any curently playing said time for their NRL club. Nearly all are an upgrade aren't they?

And no, you werent replying 'in kind' to me. You started that ball rolling, as you have done before.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Nice to see you back JM.

I can't be any clearer on those points above. It is easy to see my thoughts on our search for a number 9.

Would be nice if you answered a question for once. Try it.

Why is the 15 hookers argument relevant when you admit almost none of them were expected to become the starting hooker we are after?

If we are after an 80 min hooker I'd be inclined to happily take nearly any curently playing said time for their NRL club. Nearly all are an upgrade aren't they?

Just name names. Questions seem so difficult for you when asked for some reason.

And no, you werent replying 'in kind' to me. You started that ball rolling, as you have done before.

Yeah I wasn't replying to you at all. The quote was slotmachine's.

ColbyDaCheesy

Juniors
I could see Levi at Penrith actually. They are in desperate need of a 9 as well some current kiwi players such as DWZ and JFH. Wouldn’t surprise me

Spot On

Coach
Just name names. Questions seem so difficult for you when asked for some reason.

I was very specific in saying any 80 min hooker currently playing those minutes for their NRL club.

I'm not listing them. Use your knowledge of NRL teams. Why would you need them all listed??? You don't know who they are??

Nice playing with you JM.

Knight Vision

First Grade
The easy way for Brown would have been not to resign Levi and tell him to look elsewhere and recruit a marque player ( if possible given our state of cap and roster )

It's safe to say he resigned Levi with the view to develop him into something special. In the meantime he required someone to give Levi a break as he's not yet an 80 min player. It appears Levi just hasnt worked or isnt working out so far.

My guess is Brown fancies his chances of turning a sows ear into a silk purse regards the hooker role and thus save some money for the cap. He's had a good strike rate turning Levi and Griffin into NZ rep players.

Last edited:

Woosh

Head Moderator
My guess is Brown fancies his chances of He's had a good strike rate turning Levi and Griffin into NZ rep players.

Lol you’re still going about this.
You’re giving wayyyyy toooo much credit to Brown.
If you’re kiwi and you play NRL you’ll eventually get pick for NZ.
They were both warming the seat for Smith anyway.