What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
No doubt Dan deserves his SOO spot, as for Klem I think part of his game has dropped off, not moving as quick or coming from deep, hopefully he will get it back 2021.
With Sione (wish him well) moving on forwards are a bit thin but back ups including King, Jones, Saulo etc are better than our 5/8 options so not quite a worry at this stage and no doubt a couple of u20’s from 2019 will fill the void if needed. Be good if all grades are back for 21 so they can play and push for spots.
i wonder if they will like to slim him up a little and get him back to the sort of fitness that had him running out at lock for the dogs a few seasons ago.

Burwood

Bench
From memory, it was a journalist like Kent or Hooper who had the story about Klemmer being dropped due to attitude. Freddy was quoted a few days later saying that Klemmer wasnt picked because his form in the back half of the season dropped off and other props were ahead of him. Hard to argue with that assessment.

Spot On

Coach
I think aggression is an over stated thing under the new rules. Look at penriths pack, how many overly aggressive players are there in that pack? Same as the storm, how many old school enforcers do they have?

Enough to dominate the opposition pack and win a comp.

The old saying is still true - forwards win big matches and Melbourne did that.

There is a huge difference in the physicality of our pack and the ones competing at the pointy end of the year.

Enforcers?? I've read claims by supporters we have one in Barnett. That is not what I would call an enforcer.

Still Nutty

Juniors
From memory, it was a journalist like Kent or Hooper who had the story about Klemmer being dropped due to attitude. Freddy was quoted a few days later saying that Klemmer wasnt picked because his form in the back half of the season dropped off and other props were ahead of him. Hard to argue with that assessment.

Thanks Burwood, I do recall that was the source originally but I heard Freddie interviewed the other day on the Big Sports Breakfast

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/GDDz8C.mp3

I can't get it to play at the moment but I'm sure he actually made references to why some players were picked and from what was said, it appeared to be a clear inference in there that a strong consideration of the playing group was based on team dynamics and team harmony and it appeared a thinly veiled reference to Klemmer when i heard it....

What Fittler said at the time publicly may have been said so as not to throw a spotlight on this back then but when I heard this interview, I thought that potentially supports issues of Klemmer's alleged attitude around that time being a continuing factor in his non-selection back then and now?!

aqua_duck

Coach
Enough to dominate the opposition pack and win a comp.

The old saying is still true - forwards win big matches and Melbourne did that.

There is a huge difference in the physicality of our pack and the ones competing at the pointy end of the year.

Enforcers?? I've read claims by supporters we have one in Barnett. That is not what I would call an enforcer.
The point I'm trying to make is having those aggressive enforcers isn't what's going to win you a comp but rather having balance and the impact, we don't need D Saf and klemmer to play like JWH, what we do need is the right players around them. Our edge backrowers this year weren't good enough, neither was our balance. I've said this before but the issue is we have too many of the same type of forwards, all our guys are north-south runners with not alot of footwork or ball playing.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Our forwards were far from the issue in 2020.

Our star half had no answers, our star fullback played injured and our right edge was swiss cheese
I read an article 3/4 of the way through the season comparing packs and stats from 2019 to 2020 and our pack was second only to the Panthers pack as the biggest improvers in the comp.

Our forwards were outstanding given where they were last year and that's taking into account no hooker, medium term injuries to DSaf, Barny, Sione. ......

If our halves had of held their end of the bargain 2020 would have been a much better year.

Old dog

Juniors
I reckon Watson might keep training at lock. He has before. Personally, I don't think he's big enough.
We simply can't fit both Mann and Watson in as utilities.
No need Obi will play Mann somewhere and Watson is 14, Mann will be 4, 6, 9 or 13 depending on injuries and form

Knight Vision

First Grade
I reckon Watson might keep training at lock. He has before. Personally, I don't think he's big enough.
We simply can't fit both Mann and Watson in as utilities.
The reports are that Watson is only being extended 1 year and Mann is also off contract end of next year.

2021 season will decide which one survives

Im causiously optimistic about Clifford

Hes been moved around a lot at the Cowboys and not really given much of a go in 1 position.

Hes got size and talent that could be nurtured

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
The point I'm trying to make is having those aggressive enforcers isn't what's going to win you a comp but rather having balance and the impact, we don't need D Saf and klemmer to play like JWH, what we do need is the right players around them. Our edge backrowers this year weren't good enough, neither was our balance. I've said this before but the issue is we have too many of the same type of forwards, all our guys are north-south runners with not alot of footwork or ball playing.

Yep, our entire backrow is rubbish. No argument there. We need a few forwards now. Maybe Pearce moving on will give us the cash?

However, having a player like JWH in his prime is something we can only dream of... and you would take it every day of the week.

Yosh

Coach
Random, totally random question but are we the only club in thr NRL who wouldn't take Cam Smith for a one year deal due to history with thr club?

Knight Tales

Juniors
Random, totally random question but are we the only club in thr NRL who wouldn't take Cam Smith for a one year deal due to history with thr club?
One thing is for sure, channel 9 would be throwing the bank at him And Alex Mac for a tell all interview. That would be some story.

aqua_duck

Coach
Yep, our entire backrow is rubbish. No argument there. We need a few forwards now. Maybe Pearce moving on will give us the cash?

However, having a player like JWH in his prime is something we can only dream of... and you would take it every day of the week.
In previous years yes but I honestly think with the new rules it's really taken the aggression and mongrel out of the game. Refs aren't rewarding dominant tackles, you touch the opposition half even a split second after they've no kicked/passed and it's a penalty, slightest bit of niggle after a huge hit is now 6 again. In previous years a player like JWH would pull off a huge hit and be allowed to carry on abit in the tackle and his team mates would be patting him on the back and the whole team lifts, now a big hit more often than not results in a quick play the ball and that psychological lift dissipates