What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Yosh

Coach
Just going through some off the off contract list for 2022, I thought there were definitely some names we should target:

Dale Finucane (would be a wonderful signing to upgrade the middle)

Nicho Hynes (can play anywhere across the back and perhaps can play a halves role for us)

Cooper John's (surely worth a punt?)

Benji (surely he doesn't have another quality year left in him does he?)

Adam Ryenolds (a no brainer but would cost too much for his age profile)

Angus Crichton (an upgrade over Barnett but probably too expensive)

Morris Brothers (was gutted we didn't get them last time)

Sam Walker (probably tied down already by the Roosters)

Probably missed a ton but some of those signings would be amazing for us.

Frederick

Staff member
Just going through some off the off contract list for 2022, I thought there were definitely some names we should target:

Dale Finucane (would be a wonderful signing to upgrade the middle)

Nicho Hynes (can play anywhere across the back and perhaps can play a halves role for us)

Cooper John's (surely worth a punt?)

Benji (surely he doesn't have another quality year left in him does he?)

Adam Ryenolds (a no brainer but would cost too much for his age profile)

Angus Crichton (an upgrade over Barnett but probably too expensive)

Morris Brothers (was gutted we didn't get them last time)

Sam Walker (probably tied down already by the Roosters)

Probably missed a ton but some of those signings would be amazing for us.
Why'd you stop when you did? Why don't you name more players who are either 1000 years old, or we're no chance of getting.

Honestly I'm disappointed that SBW didn't get a run

Knight Tales

Juniors
I think we should come to terms with the reality KP still has the player option in his favour for 2023 and 2024. I think we may see him gone by next year unless we give him the team he needs around him. Every club in this comp will go all in for him if they can possibly find the coin. He is one of about 5 true franchise players. For me Cleary, Teddy, Munster and Turbo are the others.

Yosh

Coach
Why'd you stop when you did? Why don't you name more players who are either 1000 years old, or we're no chance of getting.

Honestly I'm disappointed that SBW didn't get a run

I'm also gutted we never got SBW!!! Glad we agree.

With all the contract speculation about halves for next season, it's absolutely amazing that we haven't been linked to anyone of reasonable quality despite being absolutely up the creek in halves stocks. Moses, Dearden, Reynolds, Johnson, Marshall, Townsend, Burton and even Cherry-Evans are all either off contract, changing clubs or at least speculated to be under offer and we haven't been mentioned.

Does the club seriously think Pearce and Clifford are the answer? Seems like we totally jumped the gun with those 2 signings.

perverse

Referee
With all the contract speculation about halves for next season, it's absolutely amazing that we haven't been linked to anyone of reasonable quality despite being absolutely up the creek in halves stocks. Moses, Dearden, Reynolds, Johnson, Marshall, Townsend, Burton and even Cherry-Evans are all either off contract, changing clubs or at least speculated to be under offer and we haven't been mentioned.

Does the club seriously think Pearce and Clifford are the answer? Seems like we totally jumped the gun with those 2 signings.
The club seems to want to put a team together for 5 or 10 years, moreso than the 2 or 3 good ones we might get with many of the blokes you've mentioned. Dearden and Burton are probably the only two that you would say might have fit that bill. I don't know much about Deardon, apparently has some raps. Burton for sure would have been nice.

Keep in mind that Clifford prior to this year had a lot of raps on him too, and had a stellar year playing against men in the QLD Cup. I'm not saying he'll be a star necessarily, but you never know what a change of environment might do for the kid either. We seem really dedicated to him as a club, so I hope it pays off.

I strongly doubt Pearce is still around after next year. I expect another attempt at Ponga to 5/8th if we get what we want out of Hodgson and they both hang around. Either way the clubs strategy is fairly clear - we're recruiting young and talented. They're at least trying to engineer a dynasty of sorts. I guess time will tell if we've picked the right ones to get there. A lot will depend on the coaching, too. You don't just throw a bunch of talent in a blender and pour out a premiership.

Clifford is a talent, dont get it twisted my man

Hes currently playing in a system that sucks, has average forwards and was running with a fullback as a halves partner. He was dropped pretty much because he had signed with us (and fair enough too) and couldnt carry a whole team on his back. He has a future if we can get him a decent organiser with him. Dunno if Pearce is that guy though

Burwood

Bench
Pearce’s criticism has always been that he needs a strong partner in the halves to allow him to play his own game. Is Clifford that player next year, or is he going to be the same style of player as Pearce and in 2023 we’ll still be looking for a dominant half?

Yosh

Coach
Also, when will we know for certain Ponga will take up his player option for 2023 and 2024. That's probably the biggest recruitment related issue isn't it?

Jono078

Referee
If Ponga leaves then it may be time for AOB too as well, assuming things don’t improve.

If that eventuates we should be calling the walker bros about coaching and thrown in Sam Walker too.

their style of play really suits current footy.

If Ponga leaves then it may be time for AOB too as well, assuming things don’t improve.

If that eventuates we should be calling the walker bros about coaching and thrown in Sam Walker too.

their style of play really suits current footy.
Lol this is a massive leap bro

Breaking Olympic long jump records here

Is it? I prefaced by saying IF Ponga leaves... Remember that frees up a mill and Pearce would be retired by then.

We'll have cash to splash.

Big leap that AOB would need to be punted and a bigger leap that the Walker bros would even be a consideration if he did leave. Even bigger leap that Walker leaves the Roosters

Burwood

Bench
I’d look forward to the walker brothers coming here, spending 2-3 years rebuilding the roster to suit their style, failing, and then another 2-3 years for the next coach to rebuild the team again.

What would that be, nearly 20 odd years of rebuilding?

Rod

Bench
I'm guessing Ponga has the player options there just to give himself some flexibility. I'd be stunned if he actually left.

Just highlights how ridiculous it all is that we're already talking about this though, seems like not long ago at all that he signed the big extension.