What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

aqua_duck

Coach
A few years ago I wouldn’t have been keen on Oates given his price tag would have been inflated however he’s been in and out of first grade over the last couple of seasons and hasn’t been playing rep footy either so we could probably get him fairly cheap. I still think he’s got plenty to offer at NRL level, talent like his doesn’t just disappear. Also given how much of a basket case Brisbane have been it wouldn’t surprise me if he wanted a new start somewhere else.
Agreed 100%, he's still only 26 so should really be hitting his physical prime and hasn't really had any crippling injuries

Tom155

Coach
We are in on Gagai apparently

Newcastle have emerged as a suitor for Dane Gagai to return to the club four years after leaving the Knights.

Newcastle have been in discussions with the Maroons star about enticing him to return to the club next season on a multi-year deal. The contract could be as long as three seasons at the 30-year-old now weighs up a deal to return to one of his former clubs.

Brisbane are also keen on signing Gagai after he made his debut at the club in 2011. His current club, South Sydney, have also not given up hope of retaining him, but the Rabbitohs aren’t expected to be able to offer more than a one-year deal as the club juggles a tight salary cap.

Rabbitohs officials are hoping to catch up with Gagai next week. A short-term deal with South Sydney could open up Gagai to be part of any new expansion side, but he has longer deals on offer from the Broncos and Newcastle.

The Knights are keen on having Gagai return to the club after playing 128 top grade games for the club between 2012-17.

They are on the look out to add some experience to their outside backs and a mentor to the club’s rising first-graders.

Gagai maintains close links to the region. The Eels met with Gagai in April but it is understood they are no longer in the race.

Jono078

Referee
I feel Gagai has shown signs this year that he has regressed a little. 3 year contract is just stupid for an outside back at that age that isn’t named Morris.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I think 2 years would be right for Gags, or maybe 2 years + a year in the club’s favour. I’ll be interested to see what happens here.

Yosh

Coach
I think 2 years would be right for Gags, or maybe 2 years + a year in the club’s favour. I’ll be interested to see what happens here.

Would make sense from the clubs point of view. A contract that is front loaded maybe? Something like 500k, 400k and the club has an option for a 3rd her for 350k or something. Doubt Gagai would take it.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah, Gagai isn't my first choice and I'd also rather Oates.

Does it feel like a desperation signing more than anything? We do need backs but just unsure about the direction. Maybe they view Gagai as a leader of the backs, we are lacking a lot of experience there.

Yosh

Coach
Not against Gagai coming here to play and redeem himself after his first stint here. However, don't want him to come if he is looking for a retirement package...

Old dog

Juniors
So let’s say Gagai arrives, plays centre? with Best the other then what happens to Obi’s mate Mann, don’t need a 14 that’s Watson so he becomes injury cover playing reserves?

perverse

Referee
Yeah 3 years at any price seems a bit reckless. 2 years, $400k is the sweet spot... no doubt we go overs to get it done though.

Gagai will be at Brisbane next year. They are desperate for experienced backs and will offer him big $ over 3 years. Kevvie is also a big fan of his

Jono078

Referee
Potentially this would be unreal..

1 Ponga
2 Gagai
3 Best
4 Young
5 Hunt

because it's potentially, the chances of it working out are probably slim.

Young and Gagai probably interchangeable, but I still remember thinking in the pre-season Young seems to have some quality moves as a centre, just a matter of getting his D right.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Not against Gagai coming here to play and redeem himself after his first stint here. However, don't want him to come if he is looking for a retirement package...

I don’t think Gagai needs to redeem himself. He made the best decision for himself when he left and I don’t blame him. From what I understand he was always up front and respectful towards the club so I don’t think there’s any bad blood there.

I guess from a fan perspective some people probably think he owes us or the club something but from my perspective he doesn’t and I wouldn’t have any problem bringing him back.

Gags always struck me as a player who was trying his hardest in a shit situation and I got the idea that a lot of fans piled into him about his club form vs his origin form but it’s a lot easier to perform in an origin arena when you’re surrounded by some of the best players to have ever played the game as opposed to going back to your club and playing with a bunch of reserve graders which is what the Knights team was for a while there.

He’s an experienced outside back and if we do sign him I hope it’s to play wing which is where I think he does his best work.

Yosh

Coach
I don’t think Gagai needs to redeem himself. He made the best decision for himself when he left and I don’t blame him. From what I understand he was always up front and respectful towards the club so I don’t think there’s any bad blood there.

I guess from a fan perspective some people probably think he owes us or the club something but from my perspective he doesn’t and I wouldn’t have any problem bringing him back.

Gags always struck me as a player who was trying his hardest in a shit situation and I got the idea that a lot of fans piled into him about his club form vs his origin form but it’s a lot easier to perform in an origin arena when you’re surrounded by some of the best players to have ever played the game as opposed to going back to your club and playing with a bunch of reserve graders which is what the Knights team was for a while there.

He’s an experienced outside back and if we do sign him I hope it’s to play wing which is where I think he does his best work.

Great points! I didn't mean that he had done the club wrong or anything. I meant that he left when the club was in the gutter and he wants to come back and shine and show off in a sense back in a Knights jersey.

However, if he takes his foot off the pedal and just wants a rosy retirement package, I would be super upset.

Latest posts