What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Woosh

Head Moderator
’They have to be careful’: Kent’s Knights worry as he reveals Seibold’s new role

“Everything being equal they should make the finals, but the other thing that’s been spoken about around the Knights is the assistant coaching staff and the fact Anthony Seibold went there.

“Do you think from watching the Knights play that it’s a smart play?

Kent countered by saying: “I don’t want this to be a bash-up on Seibold, but the criticism of him at Brisbane was that he created all this head noise in the players because he talked in algebraic terms, everything was formulas and science and the players got bamboozled by it all.

“He was brought in at Newcastle, at the time we were told it was to do video analysis for O’Brien and he wouldn’t have any contact with the players which would’ve avoided the problem that happened to the Broncos.

“Now we know he’s doing one on ones with the players, what do you say?”

Kent, who noted that the Knights had barely had their full strength spine fit and firing, said the decision of Watson to leave left questions over Newcastle’s destiny under O’Brien.

“This isn’t just about your results and your spine and the health. It’s about the whole program and how it’s being run,” he said.

“The fact is you’ve got a guy who is a very good player (Watson) who they headhunted some years back and he’s now voluntarily sought out a rival coach, knocked on the door and said: ‘I’m out of here’.
“The fact is they have to be careful, the Knights, about what they do next.”

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Clune doesn’t replace Watson but we’ve needed depth in the halves for a while now and he’s shown that he can be steady at halfback. When our annual injury crisis strikes again next year he will be handy.

Burwood

Bench
It's getting near impossible to work out possible signings when 50% of them aren't even off contract players. Seems like every team is keeping their squad to 29 players for the majority of the season with the hope of signing someone part way through the year.

Jono078

Referee
I think Phil makes some big moves with coaching staff this off-season.

My gut tells me Shane Flanagan will be here in some capacity

perverse

Referee
I think Phil makes some big moves with coaching staff this off-season.

My gut tells me Shane Flanagan will be here in some capacity
At this stage, I think I'd take him. It might be unpopular, but once he's served his time he's likely to be the best available coach. Can't imagine he would make the same mistakes twice. O'Brien might be a great assistant, but 2 years in I still can't see much evidence that he's a good first grade coach.

Yosh

Coach
For the 14 role next season, who gets it?

Mann
Crossland
Clune
Sasagi

Probably one of those lads right? Who does everyone prefer?

On AOB... He seems a great drill sergeant but not a well rounded coach. If he doesn't significantly improve us by the end of 2022, surely we need to go another direction?

slotmachine

First Grade
For the 14 role next season, who gets it?

Mann
Crossland
Clune
Sasagi

Crossland is unemployed in 2.5 months
Sasagi is miles off
Clune can only play halfback

I still can't see much evidence that he's a good first grade coach.

I think based on individual improvements the coach is doing an OK job. Certainly better than Brown. Guys like King, Randall, Jones, Sue, Crossland, Tuala etc have all got a base level of competence where they can come in and do a job in first grade. And the bigger names like the Safs, Watson, Brailey and Clifford are all playing their best footy. KP is a bit of a worry but it's hard to gauge as he's injured so much.

Biggest issue is the coach trying to play 2016 football in 2021 with the tactics. For a supposed attacking mastermind we are an embarrassment with the ball. Maybe a full offseason to reflect on the new rules will see that change, who knows?

Also in his favour, if we somehow win the last three games it will be first time since 2003 we have had back to back winning seasons. Sure we're not winning the comp this year or next but making the finals every year is the first step.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
If we do make the finals (still an IF) then O’Brien is 2 from 2 when it comes to finals appearances so I don’t think we can be too harsh. But yes as others have said he needs to adapt the game plan during the off season for us to improve from here.

Knight Tales

Juniors
O’Brien has had us guessing all year about what his deal really is. If he makes the 8 two years running, his first two seasons as a HC, with a roster he did not build, then that is pretty impressive.
I have been a critic at times. I am inclined now to think he is still learning himself what his structures are. He has brought Friz, Clifford and now Gagai to the club. Browny built the roster. He inherited a good football side.
Season 3 of AOB should be where we see majors improvements. If not then we will get an idea of why Watson left. It is also feasible Hodgson will be used as a utility at times next season. Dom Young needs to show marked improvement as well. Those two have it. Is our coach good enough to extract it?

macavity

Referee
Get the impression Watto has felt unloved by us lowballing him and dazzled by super coach Robinson wanting him.

As Kent said, this happened because he didn’t have a manager so he made an emotional decision.

Feels like rejection which hurts but he isn’t irreplaceable and if we get a gun back rower out of the equation it’s a net win.

Frederick

Staff member
Yeah it's... it's not exactly one that I would have said was a super urgent need. Bad news for Crossland... but I don't really see it as a Plan A type move.
I'm yet to see anything from Crossland that shows he's got what it takes to play first grade

Seage

Juniors
I think based on individual improvements the coach is doing an OK job. Certainly better than Brown. Guys like King, Randall, Jones, Sue, Crossland, Tuala etc have all got a base level of competence where they can come in and do a job in first grade. And the bigger names like the Safs, Watson, Brailey and Clifford are all playing their best footy. KP is a bit of a worry but it's hard to gauge as he's injured so much.

Biggest issue is the coach trying to play 2016 football in 2021 with the tactics. For a supposed attacking mastermind we are an embarrassment with the ball. Maybe a full offseason to reflect on the new rules will see that change, who knows?

Also in his favour, if we somehow win the last three games it will be first time since 2003 we have had back to back winning seasons. Sure we're not winning the comp this year or next but making the finals every year is the first step.
That's all a rather positive take. And I don't disagree with it.
It boggles my mind that even if AOB thinks 2016 tactics are the way to win now, how does no one around him have a dissenting and influential viewpoint? Surely someone among Siebold, Eric Smith, Rory Kostjasyn, Willie Peters has seen enough video to determine we're not playing the right way? Can they all be that clueless and out of their depth?