What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Jono078

Referee
Yeah, chasing Pearce for 2023 makes no sense, for any club. Only sense is if he does well and we think he still has something to offer by staying here an extra year.

Old dog

Juniors
Pearce leaving after next year is ok with me, he will/is in downward slide, age, so one more will do it. If we do or don’t win premiership next year then we are looking to make changes including our spine as well as upgrading forwards and centres. It all or rebuild for next season

Jono078

Referee
Anyone see the manly v raiders match? That kind of performance from Suli is why people think he's worth the trouble
Yep I'd take a punt on him. Great upside.

I was against Reuben Garrick earlier in the year but he really would be solid as, and a great goal kicker.

I'd also like if the club was talking to Tapine. He would be our point of difference.

Frederick

Staff member
Yep I'd take a punt on him. Great upside.

I was against Reuben Garrick earlier in the year but he really would be solid as, and a great goal kicker.

I'd also like if the club was talking to Tapine. He would be our point of difference.
Won't happen, won't happen, and DEFINITELY won't happen

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
I’d Definitely be Open to a Klemmer and Thompson swap. If they want Pearce they can send Flanagan in the other direction as well if they so well please.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Yeah the fact that the Roosters gave Flanagan the flick after only one season there tells you something is wrong because externally it seemed like he was playing well and their team was doing well. Must be issues at training or maybe he’s a guy who’s hard to coach or something.

Let’s not get excited about Moses Suli, he had a good game tonight but how many of those has he actually had? I’m pretty sure he wasn’t even in the Manly side until injuries struck.

Garrick has been very good recently too. I’m not sure if he’d be a target for us though, also I don’t see him leaving Manly where he’s a starter and gets to score a million tries off Turbo.

Tapine I think would be a good get for us. He definitely has the sort of footwork that our current forward don’t have.

slotmachine

First Grade

This article claims he only has the option to leave if we win a comp this year or next year.

So, according to Hoops, if we win the premiership this year or next, Kalyn becomes a free agent for 2023/2024. If we don't win a premiership, he can't trigger that option to leave. It makes sense that the club would agree to such a clause. Unless I'm misinterpreting what I'm reading here? It's not an easy couple of sentences to parse to be fair. Are we saying we're only offering Kalyn an extra 2 years (in his favour) if we win a premiership? That doesn't really make sense for either party tbh. I dunno, the more I read it, the more confused I get with it tbh.

I find a good rule for life is to ignore anything Hooper writes or says.

slotmachine

First Grade
lots of news from toohey this morning.

we've signed Leo Thompson from the Raiders, middle forward that's been playing NSW Cup.
signed Clune
will re-sign Tuala
will re-sign Randall
Shibasaki is off to japanese rugby
priorities are another outside back, and a tackle breaking backrower

slotmachine

First Grade
FB
Kalyn Ponga
Bailey Hodgson

Outside Backs
Dane Gagai
Bradman Best
Hymel Hunt
Dominic Young
Starford To'a
Brayden Musgrove
Enari Tuala
New Signing

Halves
Jake Clifford
Mitchell Pearce
Adam Clune

Hooker
Jayden Brailey
Chris Randall

Edge/Lock
Tyson Frizell
Mitchell Barnett
Lachlan Fitzgibbon
Brodie Jones
New Signing

Middle
Daniel Saifiti
David Klemmer
Jacob Saifiti
Sauaso Sue
Pasami Saulo
Jirah Momoisea
Leo Thompson

Utility
Kurt Mann
Nathanael Sasagi

Burwood

Bench
Gee, looking at out backrow stocks is truly depressing. Does Jack Johnsfit in there?

Lee is still unsigned, and might be the only outside back we need. One year minimum contract (been paid good money to do nothing this year) and give him the opportunity to put himself in the shop window for 2023.

With the rule changes for development players, they need to make sure that they sign some quality young guys who are ready to step up to NRL if needed.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Yeah I think Lee is the obvious choice for that backline spot if his foot recovers from the surgery. If not then there’s usually plenty of outside backs around.

Yosh

Coach
Tackle breaking backrower? Sounds good.

Hopefully our halves can start putting some lads into holes. I think we have the worst line break assists in the league...

aqua_duck

Coach
Kid has been absolutely dudded this year, Joey wouldn’t of got that team firing, it’s no wonder Barrett failed at manly, he surely has no excuse next year bought basically a new team.
There's a reason Robbo was willing to release him a year early and pay part of the freight as well

Woosh

Head Moderator
Mitchell Pearce has emerged on the Canberra Raiders' radar as coach Ricky Stuart hunts for a new playmaker to take the reins of the Green Machine. The Canberra Times has reported Pearce's name has been mentioned internally at Raiders headquarters, but the club is yet to make a genuine play given he is still on contract with the Newcastle Knights until the end of the 2022 NRL season. Any talks with the Raiders would hinge on Newcastle's plans for Pearce. The 306-game veteran is one of a number of halfbacks whose names have been floated, however Stuart is yet to speak to Pearce about any potential move. The Canberra coach admits options are few and far between as he scours the market for a playmaker to steer the Raiders following George Williams' early return to England. Sam Williams has filled the void for the bulk of the 2021 campaign, but Canberra bosses are keen to sign a top-quality No.7 "There has been speculation on about four or five halfbacks. I'm no further in regards to having an option at this stage," Stuart said. Pearce re-signed with the Knights in March for one more season, which means he is contracted to Newcastle until the end of 2022. "There's been a lot of talk, but I never wanted to go anywhere else," Pearce said when he re-signed. While Pearce and the Knights have moved four points clear of the chasing pack in seventh on the ladder, the Raiders are fighting for a place in the top eight with two rounds to play. Five teams are still in the hunt for eighth spot but the Raiders would likely need to win their final two games of the regular season to force their way in. The New Zealand Warriors are the first team standing in their way, and they will be fighting to keep their own finals dream alive against the Raiders in Mackay on Friday night. Then come the finals-bound Sydney Roosters in round 25, who are looking to secure a place in the top four and a crucial second chance come the finals series. Stuart gave his troops the day off on Sunday to spend time with families who have made their way up to Queensland with the competition relocated to the sunshine state. Then the Raiders mentor sat back to watch the Warriors in action against the Brisbane Broncos at Lang Park on Sunday afternoon. "It's actually good. It's high," Stuart said when asked about the mood in Raiders camp. "We're not happy with where we are but the standard of football isn't the situation at the moment, it's the position we got ourselves into in the slump we had mid-year. That's what has got us into this position. "The disappointing part is we got ourselves into this scenario and we're probably playing some of our better football at the moment. "It frustrates me that we put ourselves into this, we have only got ourselves to blame."