What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Burwood

Bench
I had no idea his son was even part of the high performance staff until I started looking through old info and articles to see who’s who.

aqua_duck

Coach
Is he super famous?
Knowles is probably one of the most well known and well regarded strength and conditioning guys in the NRL. From memory he started at Parramatta and was Jarryd Hayne's personal sprint/conditioning coach for a long time then was with the roosters, titans and now penrith and was the strength and conditioning coach for NSW for a few years as well.

Knight Tales

Juniors
It’s good to see Obi is getting the off field team he wants. There is a lot of talk of Siebs being sent packing but there is no denying he has made improvement with our defence.

Jono078

Referee
Isn't he the current NSW S&C coach?

Can't express how happy I am about his appointment. We identified a weakness at our club, something I believe we've been behind the 8-ball in for a looong time, and now we've acquired one of the best guys for the job.

Not to say he'll turn our fortunes around with injury but you just know we are in the best hands now.

Jono078

Referee
It’s good to see Obi is getting the off field team he wants. There is a lot of talk of Siebs being sent packing but there is no denying he has made improvement with our defence.
AOB was actually really complimentary of what Siebold has done with our defense, so will be interesting to see how that develops.

Also forgot to mention previous - well done to the club in getting Knowles. Might not like how they handled Watson or re-signings we didn't want, but they have a clear vision and are acting on it.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
I want the club to resign Seibold just to piss of Hooper and to see the mother of all meltdowns. Couldn’t care less if it leads to a spoon or player disharmony. :D

macavity

Referee
Will be underwhelmed if our headline signings for next year are an old defensively suss centre, a back up half and a fitness coach.

Jono078

Referee
Will be underwhelmed if our headline signings for next year are an old defensively suss centre, a back up half and a fitness coach.
Technically you’d count Clifford too. But yeah I don’t think there’s going to be a signing that blows all our socks off.

macavity

Referee
Technically you’d count Clifford too. But yeah I don’t think there’s going to be a signing that blows all our socks off.

which really sucks because we need a blow your socks off edge, but Connor leading us on for so long meant we missed the boat on even trying to land one.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah I do think we've missed the boat on signing an edge backrower that makes a good difference to our squad.

Hate to say it but I think Fitz will be getting more game time than we'd like next year.

But we are known to get some good last minute signings. Who knows what'll eventuate this off-season.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Will be underwhelmed if our headline signings for next year are an old defensively suss centre.
Wasnt this myth busted the other week?
Old man Gags still performing better than the young pups.

Dane Gagai - 20 Games
10 Tries, 14 Line Breaks, 11 Try Assists, 15 Line Break Assists, 79 Tackle Breaks, 88.4% Tackle Efficiency

Justin Olam - 22 Games
11 Tries, 11 Line Breaks, 9 Try Assists, 11 Line Break Assists, 77 Tackle Breaks, 82.4% Tackle Efficiency

Joseph Manu- 23 Games
10 Tries, 12 Line Breaks, 7 Try Assists, 8 Line Break Assists, 92 Tackle Breaks, 84.8% Tackle Efficiency

Old dog

Juniors
I’ll be surprised if 2022 sees Fitz selected before Jones who is likely bench behind Frizell and Barnett or any signing we make

Knight Tales

Juniors
Wasnt this myth busted the other week?
Old man Gags still performing better than the young pups.

Dane Gagai - 20 Games
10 Tries, 14 Line Breaks, 11 Try Assists, 15 Line Break Assists, 79 Tackle Breaks, 88.4% Tackle Efficiency

Justin Olam - 22 Games
11 Tries, 11 Line Breaks, 9 Try Assists, 11 Line Break Assists, 77 Tackle Breaks, 82.4% Tackle Efficiency

Joseph Manu- 23 Games
10 Tries, 12 Line Breaks, 7 Try Assists, 8 Line Break Assists, 92 Tackle Breaks, 84.8% Tackle Efficiency
Surely those aren't accurate stats.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Surely those aren't accurate stats.
Why would me and Coby make it up? 🤣

Forgot to add the error stats

Dane Gagai - 20 Games 11 Errors
Justin Olam - 22 Games 19 Errors
Joseph Manu - 23 Games 19 Errors

Woosh

Head Moderator
Wayne Bennett has a new vision for South flyer Dane Gagai … and it’s set to silence those critics who suggest he saves his best performances for State of Origin.

Dane Gagai has revealed how a significant change to South Sydney’s playbook will finally kill off that collection of criticisms, and jokes, about his best football only coming for Queensland.
In an exciting announcement for Rabbitohs fans — and potentially, SuperCoach pundits — Gagai has told News Corp how a series of attacking changes made by coach Wayne Bennett over summer will see him more involved than in any of his previous three seasons at Redfern.

The 30-year-old also declared himself ready to silence those critics who believe his best performances are reserved for the Origin arena, especially after yet another outstanding campaign last November saw the Mackay product help lead a severely understrength Queensland to the greatest interstate upset ever.

During the series, a host of fans, commentators, even Maroons greats marvelled at the indigenous centre’s ability to lift at Origin time.

“But I’m sick of that myth,” Gagai said this week.

“And it’s something I’m ready to put to bed.

“While I don‘t think it’s right, I know the talk is out there.

“And now I’m ready to end it.”

Better, he has the support of Bennett.

That winningest of NRL coaches who, last October, got to see exactly what fuels Gagai for Origin after triumphantly returning himself to coach Queensland to that emphatic series win.

While the Souths No.4 was giving little away regarding exact alterations to the Bunnies attack, he confirmed changes would give him “more opportunity to get my hands on the ball” than ever before.

Exactly what that means will be revealed in greater detail this Saturday evening, when Souths challenge for the annual Charity Shield against St George Illawarra in Mudgee.

Quizzed on suggestions he saved his best performances for the Maroons, Gagai said: “In Origin, there are different structures and different game plans.

“Teams want different things.

“So it’s not that I go to a different level, I just get some (different) opportunities playing there.

“When I first came to Souths in 2018 (under coach Anthony Seibold), one of the game plans meant the ball didn’t get shifted much my way.

“And that’s fine.

“Because I will always do my job for the team.

“Whatever the coach asks of me, I’ll do.

“But I believe this year is going to be an exciting one … we’ve focused on a lot of (new) things and I believe I’m going to get a lot of opportunity. I’m excited.”

Importantly, Gagai stressed he was not criticising any previous Bunnies campaign.

“I’m definitely not saying there was anything wrong with our game plans,” he said.

“Because they got us to three consecutive preliminary finals.

“And as I said before, whatever job I’m given I’ll do it to the best of my ability.

“Doesn’t matter if it’s a kick chase, taking hit ups, whatever … I’ll do it.

“But this year I believe there is going to be more opportunity for me to get my hands on the ball. And the more I can get my hands on the ball, the more effective I feel I can be.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au › ...Web resultsSouths star Dane Gagai plans to silence those critics who suggest he saves ...

“When I first came to Souths in 2018 (under coach Anthony Seibold), one of the game plans meant the ball didn’t get shifted much my way.”

Willie Peters was Seibold’s right hand man in 2018.
It might explain why Ponga has been giving Mann as much ball as possible.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Why would me and Coby make it up? 🤣

Forgot to add the error stats

Dane Gagai - 20 Games 11 Errors
Justin Olam - 22 Games 19 Errors
Joseph Manu - 23 Games 19 Errors
Who said you were making it up? It is an observation based on the fact Olam is known for his tackle breaks and setting JAC up by committing his outside defender to come in. I just figured he'd be way ahead in most of those stats. Gagai's form has gone next level since linking up with Walker and Johnson on the left.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Who said you were making it up? It is an observation based on the fact Olam is known for his tackle breaks and setting JAC up by committing his outside defender to come in. I just figured he'd be way ahead in most of those stats. Gagai's form has gone next level since linking up with Walker and Johnson on the left.

I think Olam’s reputation precedes him a little.
A bit like Lomax is known for setting up his winger.
But in reality he has only had 3 try assists in 12 games this year.

Latest posts