What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Woosh

Head Moderator
Given there have been a few more pressing issues to worry about like making the play-offs and getting past the Parramatta Eels tomorrow to advance to week two of the finals series, the Knights' search for a new assistant coach isn't on top of the priority list right now. But that doesn't mean the names of some potential candidates to replace the departing Anthony Seibold haven't already been tossed around. Seibold's impending move to the UK to assist England rugby coach Eddie Jones may have only been made public last weekend but it's been common knowledge for some time he wouldn't be at the Knights beyond October 31 with his contract up. Former Sharks coach Shane Flanagan tossed his hat in the ring mid-season with his management phoning CEO Phil Gardner [and probably every other club] to express an interest in a coaching job. Since then, all the other usual suspects have been floated including the likes of ex-NRL coaches Paul McGregor and Dean Pay and current Panthers assistant and former Knight Cameron Ciraldo among others. Who knows, Michael Maguire could soon be available too. Head coach Adam O'Brien has a decision to make first. Does he go for an experienced head or an up-and-comer? Does he go after an attack-orientated assistant or simply fill Seibold's defence void? Rest assured most Knights fans would have the same answer to the last question. While there may need to be some massaging of the roster required, it appears Phoenix Crossland's future at the Knights will be sorted, at least for another 12 months. There's been speculation the 21-year-old playmaker may be squeezed out following the club's decision to bring in more experienced halfback Adam Clune from the Dragons next season as a back-up for Mitchell Pearce. But coach O'Brien likes Crossland's physicality in defence and his utility value so is understandably keen for him to stick around and continue his development. For those of you who dismiss as insignificant Mitchell Pearce's influence and down-play the Knights' achievement in reaching the play-offs this season with their chief playmaker only playing 11 games, consider this. Pearce spent 11 years at the Roosters and played less than 20 games a season just twice. In his first NRL season in 2007, he played 16 games and the Roosters finished 10th. In 2016, after the Roosters had won a premiership [2013] and three consecutive minor premierships [2013,14,15] under Trent Robinson, Pearce played just 12 games. The Roosters finished 15th. The following year with Pearce playing 23 games, they came second and made the preliminary final. Knights hooker Chris Randall's toughness has never been questioned since the day he debuted in the NRL against Penrith early last season and made a record 70-odd tackles off the bench in a memorable 14-all draw at Campbelltown Stadium. Well, he bettered that effort last weekend. Randall made 51 tackles and scored a second half try against Brisbane despite playing more than 70 minutes of the game with a fractured thumb that required surgery. Don't expected Bradman Best to be giving much too much lip to the Eels players in Rockhampton tomorrow. Best played a big chunk of the Broncos game last weekend with a badly lacerated mouth that needed micro-surgery in hospital to repair. He needed 14 stitches in his lip and mouth. The Knights left edge has contributed 43 of the side's 76 tries this season, 20 more than the right edge with 10 coming in the middle of the park. But conversions from the left touchline have been hard to come by. Jake Clifford has landed just three from 14 attempts. Spare a thought for Knights welfare man Matty Morriss. Last Saturday, he drove from Sunny Coast to Brisbane and was ball-boy for the Broncos game. After fulltime, he drove Jake Clifford the 7.5 hours to Rockhampton so that Clifford could be picked up by his dad at 1.30am to go to Townsville for his daughter's birth. Morriss stayed at Rocky to shoot some video of the ground the next day before driving 9 hours home. On Monday, he had to drive Chris Randall to Brisbane for surgery before bringing him home. But a taxing few days got worse on Wednesday during a staff kick-around. He tore his hamstring.

Yosh

Coach
I hope we get two assistants. Some great names mentioned there.

Who would you guys prefer? I thibn wouldn't mind: Ciraldo, Flanagan and McGregor. I hope we get two lads in, one to coach mainly attack and the other defense.

I'm very happy we resigned Crossland. As non existent he has been in attack, I thought his defense was excellent for a half. I hope he develops and plays a role for the team in the future.

ryana87

Juniors
I hope we get two assistants. Some great names mentioned there.

Who would you guys prefer? I thibn wouldn't mind: Ciraldo, Flanagan and McGregor. I hope we get two lads in, one to coach mainly attack and the other defense.

I'm very happy we resigned Crossland. As non existent he has been in attack, I thought his defense was excellent for a half. I hope he develops and plays a role for the team in the future.
Could we see crossland as 14 and come on as a ball playing lock

As you said, his defence is great, and being a lock would mean he wouldn't have to waste any energy organising, would just be there as a link or another kicking option if Pearce does his usual 4th tackle run play and Clifford is covered by defence

Yosh

Coach
Could we see crossland as 14 and come on as a ball playing lock

As you said, his defence is great, and being a lock would mean he wouldn't have to waste any energy organising, would just be there as a link or another kicking option if Pearce does his usual 4th tackle run play and Clifford is covered by defence
I'm very much up for that. However, compared to the best ball playing locks in the NRL (Murry, Jake, Victor, Yeo) he wouldn't be able to bend the line when he takes the ball up. But he would be still great I reckon.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Yep fair.

I think taking the wrong head coach job first off in the NRL is worse than not being head coach at all. Quickest way to murder a career.
Too right. He has been mentioned as a possible Tigers applicant, if they part with Madge.

Yosh

Coach
Another thing I realized today was the real lack of quality backrowers at the club. We have maybe 3 first grade standard backrowers: Friz, Barney and Jones. None are rep level either (let's be honest here). Shouldn't the club have at least 4~5 first grade standard backrowers and 1 or 2 pushing for rep selection. Doesn't help that our 13 in Sue is almost a front rower and 14 in Watson is really a back. Most teams have locks who can easily shift to the edge but we don't have that. Squad is definitely not well balanced.

Burwood

Bench
I’d argue our only backrower is Frizelle. Fitz is good for bench at best, Brodie is some sort of cult hero based on one game against Cronulla, and Barnett is better suited to in the middle.

I was hoping John’s could develop into one, but it’s clear why Bennett was happy to let him go.

aqua_duck

Coach
I’d argue our only backrower is Frizelle. Fitz is good for bench at best, Brodie is some sort of cult hero based on one game against Cronulla, and Barnett is better suited to in the middle.

I was hoping John’s could develop into one, but it’s clear why Bennett was happy to let him go.
Yep and even thought Frizzell is quality we don't really use him all that well. We absolutely, desperately need to find an edge with some footwork/off loading/ ball playing even if we have to manufacture one

Burwood

Bench
Yep and even thought Frizzell is quality we don't really use him all that well. We absolutely, desperately need to find an edge with some footwork/off loading/ ball playing even if we have to manufacture one

Dom? Best and Gagai are blocking him in the centres next year.

Yosh

Coach
Dom? Best and Gagai are blocking him in the centres next year.

I've been calling for something like this for a while. He looks like he could develop into a modern edge forward. Happy to see him develop into a quality centre as well though.

Burwood

Bench
I've been calling for something like this for a while. He looks like he could develop into a modern edge forward. Happy to see him develop into a quality centre as well though.

It seems much more likely he’ll succeed as a back rower compared to O’Brien putting him out on the wing. Still don’t quite get his reasoning for doing so.