What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Woosh

Head Moderator
Veteran Newcastle Knights halfback Mitchell Pearce caught up with Titans assistant coach Jim Dymock on the Gold Coast last week. Immediately the rumour mill went into overdrive … that Pearce was getting an offer to join the Titans. The 32-year-old insists it was just a friendly catch-up and that he will be staying in Newcastle for at least another year.

Jono078

Referee
No one can blame Pearce for trying to secure a future. This is the baggage that comes with a one-year contract.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Is he though? I mean, yes he did get us to a preliminary final after finishing 7th but he also took us to two 12th place finishes aswell. 🤷‍♂️
I’m glad South’s didn’t win and leave us as the only team Wayne was head coach at the didn’t win a GF.
I have always wondered what could’ve happened in 2014 had we not had so many dramas, on and off the field.

Jono078

Referee
This is 100% a rumor because I'm starting it.

Pearce > Redcliffe for 2023.

Love that the game is expanding and we'll have to be careful we don't lose too much to them.

Hopefuly they're after a hole-running backrower who's been on the cusp of rep games over his career - by media, definitely not fans. He'd go alright up there.

I do think majority of our squad is locked up for the next 2 years though.

Jono078

Referee
Will there be a separate off season thread for random off season stuff?
Come on Yoshie, easy to find!

Woosh

Head Moderator
The playing future of Mitchell Pearce will be the elephant in the room for the Knights when pre-season training kicks off in just over a month. If the controversy surrounding Pearce's cancelled wedding was an off-season distraction heading into 2022, the uncertainty over where his future lies has the potential to be an even bigger headache for the club and drag on well into next year. The veteran halfback has a year to run on his current contract but there has already been a heap of speculation around whether he will see out the deal if he signs elsewhere for 2023. Even if he arrives for day one of pre-season training telling everyone he is totally committed to the Knights for 2022, it won't completely douse the flames around a possible departure if an offer materialises elsewhere. Coach Adam O'Brien already has plenty on his plate heading into his third season at the helm. While player gains and losses have been limited to a few either way and his assistant coaches are still all in place apart from Anthony Seibold, there have been massive changes to the rest of his football department staff with completely new-look and beefed-up high performance and medical teams coming in. Presumably, they will have new ideas and methods. No doubt, O'Brien has been hard at work already, studying videos and making plans around what the evolution of his side's attack, which was vilified by every man and his dog last season for it's predictability and staleness, will look like. Pearce will obviously be central to that. At the same time, you can bet the coach's steely emphasis on defence won't change and he'll be looking at ways to build on the gains made over the past year in his side's defensive resilience. But how O'Brien handles the theatre and media hype around Pearce, who can rate a mention in the paper these days for simply saying hello to a rival assistant coach, will be a test of his leadership. The simple fix of course would be to re-sign the veteran halfback for another year. But while no-one in the Knights camp is saying as much, there is a belief in general the club needs to make player roster plans for 2023 without him. Remember the Knights' Hall of Fame? It was established back in 2012 when Nathan Tinkler owned the club to honour the Knights most outstanding achievers. The five inaugural inductees were Paul Harragon, Andrew Johns, Michael Hagan, Matt Gidley and the club's founding coach, the late Allan McMahon. In 2014, Danny Buderus, Mark Sargent and Tony Butterfield joined them in the exclusive club. The idea back then was to add to the list every couple of years. But presumably due to the ownership changes, the Hall of Fame has been on the back-burner for the past seven years. The good news is the Knights' Old Boys and owners Wests Group agree it needs to be back on the agenda for 2022. Expect an announcement about the Hall of Fame well before a ball is kicked next season. Utility Tex Hoy continues to play a waiting game over his future at the Knights and is no certainty at this stage to be retained. But his manager remains hopeful a deal will be struck for a further season. "The club has told me they would like to keep Tex but they have to juggle a few things around to make it happen," his agent Steve Gillis told us. "Tex wants to stay as well so I haven't really pushed it with anyone else. "In saying that, we are probably going to need to know one way or the other within the next two or three weeks what is happening given the start of pre-season training is not that far away." While Hoy is still in limbo, we're expecting the Knights will likely strike a deal with un-signed backrower Jack Johns for a further season. Fans of the Knights should not miss the Newcastle Herald next week as we look back in depth over three days on the positives and negatives of the club's 2021 premiership campaign and also predict what we can expect from the side in 2022.

Yosh

Coach
I don't see the Pearce thing much of a problem. He is a positive factor for the team for sure. However, he will be here maximum a year. It's an issue we need to find a solution for anyway within the year.

Looks more like a headline than an actual issue.