What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Tales

Juniors
Listening to Todd Payten tonight on 360 and his reasoning behind Townsend and Dearden’s signings was eye opening. The lack of leader they had was why he went after Townsend. Never mentioned his ability. Like it didn’t even enter the equation. It was about the man himself. Dearden’s signing was about effort being able to be supported by Townsend, allowing him to be uninhibited and not the central focus of the spine. None of the above has even entered O’Brien’s thoughts based on what he tells us in Pressers. It just shows a player is seldom the issue if a coach can inspire them.

TDD91

Juniors
Still only 25, Croft is contracted to Salford for another season and has attracted the interest of Super League giants Wigan.[/URL]

Unless Cade Cust is returning to the NRL, there's not a chance Wigan are in for Croft IMO.

Re: Dobson, he won the Albert Goldthorpe medal which was given out by League Express. That award has been defunct since the Man of Steel changed to the current system which rewards big fish in small ponds.

Knight Tales

Juniors
That’s why we’re getting on our knees for noted leader and owner of big moments, Luke Brooks. Some say his ability to lift his teammates is Kennedy or Burgess like.
If it is Luke Burgess or Martin Kennedy then that would be accurate. Of course he had to name two of the greatest forwards ever as his reference point instead.

Apey

Staff member
Listening to Todd Payten tonight on 360 and his reasoning behind Townsend and Dearden’s signings was eye opening. The lack of leader they had was why he went after Townsend. Never mentioned his ability. Like it didn’t even enter the equation. It was about the man himself. Dearden’s signing was about effort being able to be supported by Townsend, allowing him to be uninhibited and not the central focus of the spine. None of the above has even entered O’Brien’s thoughts based on what he tells us in Pressers. It just shows a player is seldom the issue if a coach can inspire them.
I mean we also tried the leader over ability thing with Pearce. The leader still needs to not broken on the field.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Cowboys actually play football like they enjoy it. Much like Penrith, the talent is undeniable but there is a brotherhood there where letting down your mates is not acceptable. Genuine effort all round

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
I was certain Cowboys would get the spoon 6 months ago. I thought Townsend was the worst signing I’d seen in a decade based on his form last year and what they offered him.

Regardless of result tonight, I’ve been proven very wrong.

doesn’t hurt that they picked almost an entire quality pack out of thin air
Talmalolo was the only player rated in their pack to be fair. McLean, Hess, Cotter etc were seen as either under sized or well past it

You can do much with scrap heap players if the attitude is right

Knight Tales

Juniors
a big fan of Peyton’s old school approach to the conditioning in pre season. The physicality of the side was reflected by it. It was risky but clearly they just conditioned themselves like a boxer to take more and more shots in the sparring week by week. And they used their attack to wear sides down. The leg speed and play the ball is so fast.

macavity

Referee
Talmalolo was the only player rated in their pack to be fair. McLean, Hess, Cotter etc were seen as either under sized or well past it

You can do much with scrap heap players if the attitude is right

that’s my point. Nanai, Luki, Cotter, Neme and a few others all no names at the start of the year. Robson a low tier Hooker. All look like they wouldn’t be out of place in the Roos squad now (and Nanai and Cotter will make it). Picking up Leilua a year early also a rainbow kiss on the ring.

Yosh

Coach
I'd easily take a team of 13 Cotters overs 13 Pongas.

Really like the grunt they have in the team. Add a bit of spice from Nanai, Val and the Hammer with direction from Townsend and Dearden. Very well balanced.

Latest posts