What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

PhilGould

Bench

Telegraph article sounds a lot more optimistic about Dom re-signing than the previous ones have. Basically rules out the previous clubs he was linked to but says the Roosters have come in last minute and Dom had dinner at Trent Robinson's house recently. Knights offer is bigger apparently, and for what it's worth Toohey has said all along that he thinks a bigger offer elsewhere would be needed to get him to leave.

His manager says it'll be decided before the season, possibly this week. One thing we've learnt is his manager isn't shy about playing negotiations out publicly.

Yosh

Coach

Telegraph article sounds a lot more optimistic about Dom re-signing than the previous ones have. Basically rules out the previous clubs he was linked to but says the Roosters have come in last minute and Dom had dinner at Trent Robinson's house recently. Knights offer is bigger apparently, and for what it's worth Toohey has said all along that he thinks a bigger offer elsewhere would be needed to get him to leave.

His manager says it'll be decided before the season, possibly this week. One thing we've learnt is his manager isn't shy about playing negotiations out publicly.

So basically he manager has been doing a good job for his player. Happy to hear Dom will sign with us!

Knight Tales

Juniors
If Dom’s rise is anything to go by then the club can hopefully anticipate similar for Will and KPP in a few years. Cos by the end of 2024 I can see us going through this all over again. The two year contracts may be manager driven. A smart move by both.

perverse

Referee
I'm going to go against the grain and say that, while Dom is a promising youngster and it would suck to lose him - that he's also a bit overrated and not a genuine superstar yet. A team like the roosters could see him blossom into one though.

I don't think he's as good as we're pretending he is right now though. He might end up there. I do hope he realises his potential if he stays - but our track record for that is shit too.

slotmachine

First Grade
He's an exciting player to watch, and as knights fans there's not a whole lot to keep you interested, so would be sad to see him go.

But even an elite winger doesn't really win you any more games, so not the end of world.

PhilGould

Bench
As far as I see it Dom is the one young player we've got with a realistic chance of becoming elite at his position, whether wing or centre. It's unfortunate that it's as an outside back which is the least justifiable spot to spend big money on, but I'd still be comfortable paying (somewhat) overs on last years form if it meant locking him down long-term. Would be nicer if we weren't already paying Best on potential alongside the Gagai masterstroke contract.

He's got plenty to improve on but you can't teach what he already has. If he's not the best athlete in the comp he's in the top 3, and 14 tries in 20 games last year is nothing to sneeze at considering the rabble that was our attack and how little we got him involved. Already went from looking out of his depth in Super League to excelling in the NRL within 2 years, I wouldn't bet against him continuing to improve.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Cannot argue with either side of the debate over Dom. Not Keen on overs though. Uate vibes. I am of the belief that the kids yet to arrive from the UK are both superior and longer term prospects and this decision iver Dom Could bite us down the track . This seems like a possible admission from the Roosters that they know Joseph S is headed to the Wallabies. This is their move to replace him: If Dom knocks them back I will be surprised.

Yosh

Coach
So how much we paying overs for Dom? Is it so much that we would rather see Tuala and Musgrove there instead?

Pay the man whatever he wants. We ain't in any position to be choosy. Beggers can't be choosers.

Knight Tales

Juniors
So how much we paying overs for Dom? Is it so much that we would rather see Tuala and Musgrove there instead?

Pay the man whatever he wants. We ain't in any position to be choosy. Beggers can't be choosers.
That is the narrative from the media. The overs part. Even Toohey admits we have to fork out decent money. I’d like to see how he performs this year first but we have not left ourselves in that position.

Bdubs

Juniors

we can't panic and pay huge overs. If he gets a better offer, whether that be money or prospects of winning GF's then so be it. Its his career.

Paying overs just sends us further down the hole we are currently in. We have overpaid the majority of our top 17 which is why we have absolutely no depth if we get injuries.

Prime example is Ponga, we have overpaid him

People on here will say pay him whatever it takes, then will complain that the side is crap and has no depth. We need to be much smarter with recruitment and retention and that starts with salaries

Apey

Staff member
I'm going to go against the grain and say that, while Dom is a promising youngster and it would suck to lose him - that he's also a bit overrated and not a genuine superstar yet. A team like the roosters could see him blossom into one though.

I don't think he's as good as we're pretending he is right now though. He might end up there. I do hope he realises his potential if he stays - but our track record for that is shit too.
This is it for me:
He's an exciting player to watch, and as knights fans there's not a whole lot to keep you interested, so would be sad to see him go.

But even an elite winger doesn't really win you any more games, so not the end of world.
He's not a pro yet but he's literally about all I have to look forward to from our team of plods.

macavity

Referee
This year is make or break on so many fronts.

if the move is the making of Ponga we are the next Cowboys.

if it’s not we are the new Seagulls… or more to the point, the same old Knights

Cannot argue with either side of the debate over Dom. Not Keen on overs though. Uate vibes. I am of the belief that the kids yet to arrive from the UK are both superior and longer term prospects and this decision iver Dom Could bite us down the track . This seems like a possible admission from the Roosters that they know Joseph S is headed to the Wallabies. This is their move to replace him: If Dom knocks them back I will be surprised.
Suaalii will be playing left centre in 2023/2024 if he takes up the PO for 2024 and if Young signs then he will be playing right wing.