What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

mozza91

Coach
Sione would play for us for $14 an hour and no sick leave. Would be happy to give him a spot in the Top 30 and a cheap contract.

We used Sione wrong.
His strength was a step and palm and we took that out of his game using him for hit ups.
Dunno where he is at now.
Lost cause I'd say.

perverse

Referee
As far as our squad goes, I'd take him as a Brodie Jones replacement, not as a Friz replacement. Better off just sticking with the KPP experiment though.

slotmachine

First Grade
Signing a 28 year old who was never any good because he's from Newcastle sounds about right.

I'll start stocking up on TV remotes to smash against the wall I guess.

perverse

Referee
Does he play hooker? If not, does it really matter if he signs or not? We're still going to be a bottom 4 side.
This is pretty true, doesn't move the needle much in addressing our biggest issues.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
But this is your irrational hatred blind spot, so I get it.

He turns 27 in a month, so would be 28 next year. Also, he was never that good to start with. And still has issues with concussion.

More than anything it would show a total lack of ambition. We already told him he wasn't good enough and to hit the road, we should be aiming much higher for a Brodie Jones replacement, either in the market or rolling the dice trying to develop kids.

perverse

Referee
He turns 27 in a month, so would be 28 next year. Also, he was never that good to start with. And still has issues with concussion.

More than anything it would show a total lack of ambition. We already told him he wasn't good enough and to hit the road, we should be aiming much higher for a Brodie Jones replacement, either in the market or rolling the dice trying to develop kids.
It's more a matter of what the market and our depth can provide us in those roster spots. If there's better (realistic) options, sure of course i'm in favour of that.

But yeah as Yosh said, I don't think like... it's a potential signing that's overly worthy of discussion beyond the fact that he's an ex-Knight. It's not something that will move the needle with the club in either direction. He's a capable body that can do a role in the top 30. If his options are play for the Knights or go work in the mines due to his missus wanting to live back home, he's probably one of the rare signings you could get for under market value too. Those value signings around the fringes are what helps carry a contract like KPs in the squad.

Sione always had talent and potential but unfortunately came into a side on the slide and was grossly mismanaged by Stone and Browny. Should never have been taken off the wing until he had his feet under him in first grade

Ive watched a fair bit of him playing for St Helens, including the WCC, and imo he has matured as a backrower and would offer good value as a depth forward. He could probably fill in in the centres if needed too. Wouldnt hurt having a guy around the club who has been in a genuine winning system for awhile and is looking to be in Newcastle for reasons other than $

Our depth chart for edge forwards is pretty shallow right now too

perverse

Referee
Sione always had talent and potential but unfortunately came into a side on the slide and was grossly mismanaged by Stone and Browny. Should never have been taken off the wing until he had his feet under him in first grade

Ive watched a fair bit of him playing for St Helens, including the WCC, and imo he has matured as a backrower and would offer good value as a depth forward. He could probably fill in in the centres if needed too. Wouldnt hurt having a guy around the club who has been in a genuine winning system for awhile and is looking to be in Newcastle for reasons other than $

Our depth chart for edge forwards is pretty shallow right now too
Very shallow yeah. Hopefully KPP will improve things there and doesn't turn out a dud.

Knight Tales

Juniors
I’d be having a look at James Bentley from Leeds. He is OC. He is a smaller backrower but he is very athletic and strong. He is a real firebrand type. Very much in the
mould of John Bateman. Wants an NRL gig and was the player who Radley fought at the end of last year.

aqua_duck

Coach
I’d be having a look at James Bentley from Leeds. He is OC. He is a smaller backrower but he is very athletic and strong. He is a real firebrand type. Very much in the
mould of John Bateman. Wants an NRL gig and was the player who Radley fought at the end of last year.
Was skeptical seeing his profile as a 175cm, 95kg backrower but saw some highlights and he’s got abit of something about him, would be a decent bench option as I’d imagine he could probably cover centres and maybe even abit of hooker

macavity

Referee
Was skeptical seeing his profile as a 175cm, 95kg backrower but saw some highlights and he’s got abit of something about him, would be a decent bench option as I’d imagine he could probably cover centres and maybe even abit of hooker

C.H.O.A.D.