What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Let’s hope they deal with measurables. In my experience people often prefer to stick with abstract concepts rather than make hard decisions.

Apologies if that is condescending.

As long as the 'measurables' are closely associated with the broader outcomes that you are trying to achieve, and not just 'what is easiest to count'.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sharks have one eye firmly on future

Are Cronulla on the verge of becoming the NRL's next dynasty?

This weekend shapes as a bumper one for the Sharks as they attempt to stake a claim at being the most dominant club in rugby league.

Not only will their NRL side take on fierce rivals Melbourne for a spot in the grand final but their under-20s will meet Penrith in the Jersey Flegg final and feeder club Newtown are into the NSW Cup decider.

The club's strength in all three grades is testament to their depth and the talent coming through their ranks - all of which can be traced back to head coach Shane Flanagan's overhaul of their development systems back in 2015.

The Sharks' decision to invest time, money and resources into the club's academy system is beginning to show green shoots.

Rugby league got a taste of the Sharks' generation next in last month's win over Newcastle when Flanagan blooded his son Kyle, who is being groomed as the club's long-term halfback.

The likes of Blayke Brailey, Bronson Xerri, Billy Magoulias and Briton Nikora are not far off being ready for first-grade and the club boasts one of the league's most impressive list of youngsters.

"I do get a kick out of it. We put a lot of time and effort into it, our SG Ball and (Harold) Matthews Cup were successful as well," Flanagan told AAP.

"It just show that if you put time and effort and resources into it, you'll get results."

Three years ago Flanagan overhauled the club's elite academy and junior representative system and pumped time and effort into encouraging participation in the Shire.

His high performance staff oversee the training programs of the club's junior representative players, giving them a taste of what it takes to be an NRL footballer from as young as 14.

Flanagan flew to the UK in 2016 and toured English Premier League clubs to look at their academy systems, giving him ideas which he's since implemented.

The dream is to have four or five local juniors in their top grade squad at all times.

"We wanted to make sure we could produce our own," Flanagan told AAP.

"People say that back in the day of ET (Andrew Ettingshausen) we had a lot of local juniors and we had a bit of a flat spot there in between them. We probably did.

"The programs and systems probably fell away for a time there but they're back in place and we're seeing the benefits."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sharks-have-one-eye-firmly-on-future-20180919-p504li.html

Seems as though all this bloke needed was a 3 year plan to win a title(in his second coming) and create quality junior talent. I like coaches that know size, experience, and juniors win titles. You know great recruiters and developers.

BA I feel is still struggling with this notion or just isn't capable to executing it effectively.
Crazy that they overhauled their junior development system in 2015 and won the NRL grand final the next year. Just goes to show how quickly you can turn a Harold Matts win into NRL premiership. Get it done BA FFS!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sorry I have just heard it on TV, from the like of guys like Kent and others. Sure you will say not a valid source, but these guys are right more times then not even though most don't want to acknowledge.
He's about as good as Daniel Alvaro these days. What is that merkin worth? Probably no more than $250k-$300k, so why should we have offered Graham more than that? Considering we already had so many toilers already on the books.

TheRam

Coach
He's about as good as Daniel Alvaro these days. What is that merkin worth? Probably no more than $250k-$300k, so why should we have offered Graham more than that? Considering we already had so many toilers already on the books.

Never said we should. I am only saying that that is exactly the kind of leader you bring to your club, or a Petro Civoniceva type. And I am sure that I have heard jurnos state that Graham is being heavily subsidized, though I know I can't prove it, so maybe I was wrong. But I can replay it in my head, Kent saying it on 360.

Oh well, maybe they got him for around double that $500-600k, in that case he was too expensive for our team at that time. But the idea still remains the same, when we bring older guys to our club, they should be of the highest calibre personality wise to mentor our younger and directionless club/team. Watmough never, ever fell into that category.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Watmough's had a lot more success than Graham. That said, I'm sure Graham is subsidised at the Dragons. My point is they wouldn't have paid more than he is worth, whether he is subsidised or not. If we wanted to sign him we would have had to pay at least as much, and I contend we shouldn't have. Graham is a toiler and we already have plenty of those. He was worth more to the Dragons than to us. He was a good signing for them. It doesn't mean he would be a good signing for us.