What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
Anyhows obscene thats the past. Our juniors teams did bugger all till the last 4 or 5yrs and those juniors are starting to come through so we can all be happy.
I have a great feeling about the fresh crop coming through.

Tell me a bit about Parry. Do you rate him more then Dunster?

Most aren't too young for first grade. I think the only ones who probably won't have a chance at playing first grade next year are: Schneider, F Utoikamanu, and Hughes. The rest will have an opportunity if they're top 30.

We offered Kep a development deal, manly offered him a top 30 deal. Why do you assume that just because you offer a player a contract they'll sign it? And if you don't sign them it means you didn't offer anything?

OB - So just a question why wouldn't players if Fully fit like Schneider and F. U toikamanu not have a chance at first grade next year.?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
OB - So just a question why wouldn't players if Fully fit like Schneider and F. U toikamanu not have a chance at first grade next year.?

I'm sure they could play first grade, both are big enough physically but also have the talent to play first grade. I'm just not sure if either will be quite ready to play regular first grade next year. Kyle hasn't had any games in Flegg yet and Filia is coming off a long term injury.

It isn't a slight against them, I didn't think Salmon would be play first grade last year but did so and did his job. If Filia is cleared to play I expect both to spend about half the year in ISP.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Anyhows obscene thats the past. Our juniors teams did bugger all till the last 4 or 5yrs and those juniors are starting to come through so we can all be happy.
I have a great feeling about the fresh crop coming through.

Tell me a bit about Parry. Do you rate him more then Dunster?

Well, some of us can be happy.

Big kid, I think going into last year's pre-season he was 195cm and 97kgs unsure of Haze's physical stats but I'd guess around 188-192cm about 90kgs. I'm not sure if I rate either Parry or Dunster higher, both are good prospects. Haze gets on with his job with no fuss, gets into a position to ruck the ball out, takes the cross field kicks well. Ethan is a bit more aggressive in his style, and possibly a touch quicker over shorter distances. Both are outside backs mainly but can fill in at fullback.

I'm sure they could play first grade, both are big enough physically but also have the talent to play first grade. I'm just not sure if either will be quite ready to play regular first grade next year. Kyle hasn't had any games in Flegg yet and Filia is coming off a long term injury.

It isn't a slight against them, I didn't think Salmon would be play first grade last year but did so and did his job. If Filia is cleared to play I expect both to spend about half the year in ISP.

Fair enough explanation & i tend to agree with that. Thanks mate

My point is, why don't we just spend all out money on juniors the way the Roosters do?

It's obvious the current system doesn't work for us.

Yep. A lot of people are understandably interested and embedded in our Junior system...and that is an honourable thing, and a worthwhile pastime, but unless you get it 100% right there is no real benefit to the club in developing juniors from scratch.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In fairness to the Roosters, they don't really purchase that many first graders.

Only Keary, Cronk, Tedesco and Ferguson were established NRL players from their GF side this year. That's 4 players in 3 seasons. We've purchased 3 or 4 alone for next year.
The Roosters won the spoon in 2009. For 2010 they bought:

Carney
Conn
Graham
Guerra
Leilua
Linnett
Ryles
Waerea-Hargreaves

Carney, Graham and Ryles were all established first graders. JWH made his debut for Manly the year before.

Pilot house

Juniors
A bit of mountain air would do you the world of good. Call past st Clair and pick up a couple of Comets for development.

You might get a future Matty Moylan for minimum wage.

Pantheria is littered with future immortals gus passes by on his way to Campbelltown.

hindy111

Post Whore
Well, some of us can be happy.

Big kid, I think going into last year's pre-season he was 195cm and 97kgs unsure of Haze's physical stats but I'd guess around 188-192cm about 90kgs. I'm not sure if I rate either Parry or Dunster higher, both are good prospects. Haze gets on with his job with no fuss, gets into a position to ruck the ball out, takes the cross field kicks well. Ethan is a bit more aggressive in his style, and possibly a touch quicker over shorter distances. Both are outside backs mainly but can fill in at fullback.

Interesting. Do see either as stars or more solid first graders?
This is what I was talking about as far as developing wingers. Both have the physical part required that GL just does not have. Tui Aifalou may also fall into the too small category. Not saying they cant make it. But would have to be an exceptional talent.

Chipmunk

Coach
The Roosters won the spoon in 2009. For 2010 they bought:

Carney
Conn
Graham
Guerra
Leilua
Linnett
Ryles
Waerea-Hargreaves

Carney, Graham and Ryles were all established first graders. JWH made his debut for Manly the year before.

I wouldn't classify Graham an established First Grader. He was fringe NRL player at best. JWH definitely wasn't an established First Grader.