What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Or proves my theory. He was only ever interested in a pay day and sucked BA in.
I attended a couple of training sessions shortly before Watmough ‘got injured by Beau Scott’ and he was ripping merkins for lack of intensity. He was the one setting the standard. It wouldn’t matter if he went home straight after. His job was done.

hindy111

Post Whore
He just needed to turn up, be professional at training, then f**k off. That’s what he did. If he was lonely that’s his problem. That’s what the money was for.

And his form was excellent in his final games before getting surgery. It was his early games that were less inspiring because he was trying to be a playmaker instead of running the ball.

Lets just say it was an excellent signing.
Ba well done

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Rather than being purposeful at work, it sounds more like he'd be giving others the impression that he didn't want to be there. And if he was being a good leader he wouldn't have made the admission that he had to change.
I think he offered more by way of leadership than most while he was there. That’s just my opinion based on what I observed during that time.

I already explained the comments. Good leaders are aware of their weaknesses and are willing to let people know they aren’t perfect and are looking to improve. It shows you care and it rubs off on other who might also be interested in self-improvement.

It’s the deadshits like Jarryd Hayne who think they are brilliant and that everyone else is shit that are the rubbish leaders.

He didn’t say he was a poor leader. It sounded more like he wished he’d gotten
more out of it.
I doubt anyone asked him directly if he was a poor leader so it's not very likely you'll get a quote stating exactly that. But I don't think it takes much reading between the lines to see that's what he was getting at.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
One thing Gary seems to be missing. He is and the people he works with are quite inteligent forms of the human race. I am sure he can fill in the gaps of a great leader.
Footy players well they are a mixed bag. Some are smart and some just have other skills. I highly doubt they'd see anything about work life balance, or be filling in gaps and getting hidden messages. I dare say many have to be wound up and told what to do and follpw the leader so to speak. So if Watmough was doing the minimum the whats good for the goos is good for the gander would of been the monkey see monkey doo attitude he brought to the club....
Do you think he just did the minimum, didn’t talk to anyone and f**ked off?

Don’t reckon he spoke to anyone about his experiences at Manly?

Offered advice to younger players?

Didnt speak with the other senior members of the club and BA to input into what they were doing as a unit?

Didn’t try and show that he was still capable of pushing his aging body during training?

What is your answer? Because if he did any of these things, that’s leadership...

I think he offered more by way of leadership than most while he was there. That’s just my opinion based on what I observed during that time.

I already explained the comments. Good leaders are aware of their weaknesses and are willing to let people know they aren’t perfect and are looking to improve. It shows you care and it rubs off on other who might also be interested in self-improvement.

It’s the deadshits like Jarryd Hayne who think they are brilliant and that everyone else is shit that are the rubbish leaders.
He acknowledged that his attitude was not what it should have been, which means he was a poor leader. But you're saying that by admitting he was a poor leader he has shown himself to be a good leader. Acknowledging past errors and being willing to change is a good quality for a leader, but it doesn't change his past performance.
I agree Hayne is a terrible leader, but being better than a terrible leader doesn't make you a good leader.

hindy111

Post Whore

Didnt speak with the other senior members of the club and BA to input into what they were doing as a unit?

Didn’t try and show that he was still capable of pushing his aging body during training?

What is your answer? Because if he did any of these things, that’s leadership...

For starters lets not compare a company with highly inteligent ,educated and ambitous people who are out of the public eye and can blow of steam on the weekend with young men with high testosterone, big egos, more money then they know what to do with who played sport for fun only to then to be clamped down and caged in their 20s whilst under the spotlight wherever they go.

As far as your questions above we have a guy who cost 1/6th and does same thing.
David Gower. I mean why does a leader need to be the highest paid or one of?
When your paying guys a bomb ypu want more then a bit of f**king advice. We could get ex players for these little pep talks and not f**k our salary cap.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
He acknowledged that his attitude was not what it should have been, which means he was a poor leader.
That logic leap makes no sense. It doesn’t mean he is a poor leader at all.

All it shows is that he has standards and that he feels that he didn’t meet those standards.

But you're saying that by admitting he was a poor leader he has shown himself to be a good leader.
That’s not what I am saying at all. He didn’t admit he was a poor leader. He just said he had room for improvement, which everyone does if they are honest with themselves.

Acknowledging past errors and being willing to change is a good quality for a leader, but it doesn't change his past performance.
Depends on the individual and the standards you set yourself versus the standards that others set for you.

I read it as him saying he could do more. I didn’t read it as him saying he was really shit.

I agree Hayne is a terrible leader, but being better than a terrible leader doesn't make you a good leader.
I was just using Hayne as a logical counterpoint to your argument. Agree, my dog has laid nuggets with greater leadership credentials than Hayne.

hindy111

Post Whore
He acknowledged that his attitude was not what it should have been, which means he was a poor leader. But you're saying that by admitting he was a poor leader he has shown himself to be a good leader. Acknowledging past errors and being willing to change is a good quality for a leader, but it doesn't change his past performance.

He basically is saying I was poor and will be better next year to get the heat of him....

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
For starters lets not compare a company with highly inteligent ,educated and ambitous people who are out of the public eye and can blow of steam on the weekend with young men with high testosterone, big egos, more money then they know what to do with who played sport for fun only to then to be clamped down and caged in their 20s whilst under the spotlight wherever they go.

As far as your questions above we have a guy who cost 1/6th and does same thing.
David Gower. I mean why does a leader need to be the highest paid or one of?
When your paying guys a bomb ypu want more then a bit of f**king advice. We could get ex players for these little pep talks and not f**k our salary cap.
I’d sooner listen to a premiership winning, origin and international rep than a bald journeyman.

Watmough might have had a bit more to offer.

hindy111

Post Whore
I’d sooner listen to a premiership winning, origin and international rep than a bald journeyman.

Watmough might have had a bit more to offer.

That proves my point. You got fooled by his past success. Gower may not have the physical attributes of Watmough but as a professional I am convinced this guy has sacrificed more and trained just as hard and pushed his body as far just to play the game he loves.
Some guys are just naturaly better players. I never saw Watmough as a leader. I saw him as a bit of a dickhead with a chip on his shoulder who manly wanted to f**k off as new his body was busted. Most likely they plotted it between them. Milked us for all we could.

I see Cronk, Smith , Thurston as leaders. ...

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That proves my point. You got fooled by his past success. Gower may not have the physical attributes of Watmough but as a professional I am convinced this guy has sacrificed more and trained just as hard and pushed his body as far just to play the game he loves.
Some guys are just naturaly better players. I never saw Watmough as a leader. I saw him as a bit of a dickhead with a chip on his shoulder who manly wanted to f**k off as new his body was busted. Most likely they plotted it between them. Milked us for all we could.

I see Cronk, Smith , Thurston as leaders. ...
You are doing your hindsight thing again.

He should have been more of a leader on the field but his injuries and fitness meant that he didn’t play. That said, I have no issues with his performances in the games he did play.

I also think that he would have offered leadership and guidance off the field and I think that his past experiences and the type of personality that he was would have meant that wasn’t a passenger. That’s despite his admisssion that he could have done more which in itself isn’t admission that he was a poor leader.

Gower is great and also offers plenty of leadership. However, my sense is that he is the sort of person that leads by example and isn’t as much of a talker as Watmough. Different styles but both were/are leaders in a team that has historically bereft of leadership.

Now stop responding because I need to drive home and I must have the last word, merkin!

hindy111

Post Whore
You are doing your hindsight thing again.

He should have been more of a leader on the field but his injuries and fitness meant that he didn’t play. That said, I have no issues with his performances in the games he did play.

I also think that he would have offered leadership and guidance off the field and I think that his past experiences and the type of personality that he was would have meant that wasn’t a passenger. That’s despite his admisssion that he could have done more which in itself isn’t admission that he was a poor leader.

Gower is great and also offers plenty of leadership. However, my sense is that he is the sort of person that leads by example and isn’t as much of a talker as Watmough. Different styles but both were/are leaders in a team that has historically bereft of leadership.

Now stop responding because I need to drive home and I must have the last word, merkin!

Gower does lots of talking. Read 60s guys training reports. Most likely reason why BA signed again and I reckon he will get a gig on coaching staff or training next season.
Watmough was signed for 4yrs and most on here hated that it was more then 2...

Ok drive home safely. Long day hey. I been home since 5.I am leading the way.

Eelogical

Referee

Old mate needs a road trip to Yamba and slice a few into the ocean,

That logic leap makes no sense. It doesn’t mean he is a poor leader at all.

All it shows is that he has standards and that he feels that he didn’t meet those standards.

That’s not what I am saying at all. He didn’t admit he was a poor leader. He just said he had room for improvement, which everyone does if they are honest with themselves.

Depends on the individual and the standards you set yourself versus the standards that others set for you.

I read it as him saying he could do more. I didn’t read it as him saying he was really shit.

I was just using Hayne as a logical counterpoint to your argument. Agree, my dog has laid nuggets with greater leadership credentials than Hayne.
Nah you're wrong.