What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
While still early days, I think TCT said we finished the year with an opposed session of likely NRL side against CC side, Evans was in the CC

That could be due to us wanting the props we're looking to use in the first grade team to have the most time on the field. There's no point in having (for argument's sake) Peni Terepo playing in the CC team with Kane on the bench for the first grade team if we don't have him in our expected 17.

Tooooks

Bench
2005 we were 6 and 6 away from home and only lost two at home. We definitely need to improve our away record. Is it a preparation thing? A mental thing? Both?

Away games and defence overall. If we improve both, we're a good chance next year.

emjaycee

Coach
The stats don't lie.

1. Melbourne (9-3 Home, 11-1 Away)
2. Roosters (9-3 Home, 8-4 Away)
3. Rabbits (8-4 Home, 8-4 Away)
4. Raiders (6-6 Home, 9-3 Away)
5. Eels (9-3 Home, 5-7 Away)

We have the (equal) best home record in the comp, and the worst away record out of the top 5 teams (by some margin).

It's definitely an issue and something we need to turn around.
Umm, having the worst away record of the top 5 teams might just be why we were the 5th top team.

emjaycee

Coach
I think all @Gary Gutful is saying is that our away record is poor and if we want to be in the premiership conversation we need to improve it to at least those above us.
Given we were only one win behind the 4th placed team who went on to make the GF, why dont we just focus on winning one more home game?
Seriously it doesn't matter a rats whether we win at home or away, finishing in the top 4 regardless of where we win should be the immediate aim.
Beating Panthers or the Dogs at home OR not losing to Brisbane by a point in Golden Point would have given us the desired result.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
That 4th placed team also had the wood on Melbourne. We could have finished 2nd and we still would have been fragile in the finals. The finishing spot is not the point here, its the resiliance of the team in hardship. But we are moving in the right direction and that will lead to more away wins. Losing when away from home is a symptom, not a cause.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Umm, having the worst away record of the top 5 teams might just be why we were the 5th top team.
Ummm, of course it is. What is your point?

Mine was that we need to improve our away record if we want to improve. Nothing you've said appears inconsistent with that.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Given we were only one win behind the 4th placed team who went on to make the GF, why dont we just focus on winning one more home game?
Seriously it doesn't matter a rats whether we win at home or away, finishing in the top 4 regardless of where we win should be the immediate aim.
Beating Panthers or the Dogs at home OR not losing to Brisbane by a point in Golden Point would have given us the desired result.
It's an obvious weakness. You'd have to be a complete knob shiner to ignore an obvious weakness when trying to improve. I'm fairly confident that our coaching staff wont be that ill prepared.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
That 4th placed team also had the wood on Melbourne. We could have finished 2nd and we still would have been fragile in the finals. The finishing spot is not the point here, its the resiliance of the team in hardship. But we are moving in the right direction and that will lead to more away wins. Losing when away from home is a symptom, not a cause.
You could well be right on that front. Either way they need to examine why it was a problem this year and learn from it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You merkins might be getting the causality wrong. You assume playing away caused us to lose but maybe losing is what caused us to play away. Correlation does not imply causation ffs!

hindy111

Post Whore
Ummm, of course it is. What is your point?

Mine was that we need to improve our away record if we want to improve. Nothing you've said appears inconsistent with that.

It shows mentality is weak when loose away. Strong sides would not let the location effect them.

Incorrect

Coach
Away record aside, I'm not sure I can consider us as legit premiership threats until we eradicate the 40 and 50+ point belting that still plague us year in, year out. Your Storms, Roosters and Sharks for instance never get those sorts of touch ups.... To me, it's a sign of mental weakness that needs addressing

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You merkins might be getting the causality wrong. You assume playing away caused us to lose but maybe losing is what caused us to play away. Correlation does not imply causation ffs!

tenor.gif