What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
WTF are you on about? He was on so little that he played most of the year in reserve grade. We threw all our eggs in the Dylan Brown basket years ago, when the Warriors came knocking while he was still under contract.

Manly signed him as a backup, which has been his role at Parra the entire time
Maybe you should read again. I dont know what the fu*k "you" are talking about Poo. No need to defend what hasnt been attacked. Did I mention Jakes wage? Ffs Poo!

Tiger5150

Bench
I think the interest in him is as a backup with massive potential, which would also be our interest in him. He has it all, running, kicking and defence. But he is only 19 and has never even played against grown men, so there’s no guarantee he’ll ever cope with the NRL. I doubt any club wants to sign him with the intent to lock him into their NRL team’s 6 or 7 jersey next year. The question then is how much of your cap can you pay to a teenager with high potential who’s never even played reserve grade. At $500k he’s a huge risk, but there’s enough demand that offering a development contract won’t be enough. The sweet spot is somewhere in between.

Ideally he would be on a dev contract next year and about $200k (top 30) in 2025, but demand from other clubs will blow these numbers out somewhat. The question is how much is too much for this player. At least our club has the best view of the player and what he’s worth.
I know a club that needs an organising kicking 7

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you agree that I never said that Sanders and Arthurs abilities were comparable and that I said that Arthur was average ? That I was only lamenting the fact that good NRL clubs need backups in the halves. Not necessarily NRL players in the waiting, but someone who can just do a job a few times a year. That's all I was saying....

As for how why what with Jake, well your opinion is one of many. There are also ex-players who think that he's been treated like no other player in living memory.
And merkins talking about “we’d be f**ked if we lost Drown or Moses for the year anyway” miss the point of backups. You don’t need them to play 20 games and start in the grand final, you need them to cover one of your starters for a handful of games here and there and hope your win rate doesn’t drop too much during those periods. Jake Arthur could do that, Ethan Sanders couldn’t this year, and possibly not next year either. Hopefully Asi can provide this.

Gronk

Staff member
And merkins talking about “we’d be f**ked if we lost Drown or Moses for the year anyway” miss the point of backups. You don’t need them to play 20 games and start in the grand final, you need them to cover one of your starters for a handful of games here and there and hope your win rate doesn’t drop too much during those periods. Jake Arthur could do that, Ethan Sanders couldn’t this year, and possibly not next year either. Hopefully Asi can provide this.
With the 11 day stand day rule that now applies (to some clubs) backup players are even more important in 2023.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe you should read again. I dont know what the fu*k "you" are talking about Poo. No need to defend what hasnt been attacked. Did I mention Jakes wage? Ffs Poo!
Well you said he was blocking somebody else’s place in the top 30. Manly have managed to fit Jake Arthur in their top 30, despite already having a backup half.