What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

GrayGirrafe1140

Juniors
@GrayGirrafe1140 - not all necessarily hindsight Re Robson.... I posted the above on 26 November 2021 in this very thread... I feel like I'm approaching @hindy111 levels of insight and eye for talent if I'm being honest.... Probably a Mr 65-70% at the moment....
That’s a great call. He was also my preferred choice of the bunch, but I would’ve also been happy with Verrills but anyways that didn’t happen. From what I know the club seem to be confident in the juniors and wanted Hodgson to offer class to start and coaching youngsters up after. Unfortunately needed a lot sooner than anticipated

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah but thats the problem with the young ones. The merkins think they can recover from anything. There's no medically retiring those pricks .... cant say we arent thinkers ... we plan for failure

Hodgson was a dumb signing from the get go. He could barely run and his defense was putrid.
But in a year where it didn't matter we dodged a few bullet. Hodgson,Davey and Murchie. 3 dud signings. The only one that analed us is Moimesea. But he wouldn't be on a whole lot more then min so doesn't hurt the squad much at all. Just takes a top 30 spot.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
well if you ask Bellyache he'll probably challenge you on that theory, there were at least 3 very Un-Melbourne performance's including the prelim against Penrith.
Big time. Some of their efforts this year were complete dog shit. Not the team they once were.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Big time. Some of their efforts this year were complete dog shit. Not the team they once were.

...and at the end of the day, they were still 1 win away from a GF, you can't use the 'not the team they once were' excuse, or else I'm happy to dish out a few excuses with our lack of success in the final hurdle and watch heads explode in here.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
...and at the end of the day, they were still 1 win away from a GF, you can't use the 'not the team they once were' excuse, or else I'm happy to dish out a few excuses with our lack of success in the final hurdle and watch heads explode in here.
Go on. Do it!

TheRam

Coach
Future first grader. Very good player but growing into a very tall human, not sure if half is where he'll end up, possibly 6. Not much younger than Latu Fainu who I expect to play first grade this year. Wouldnt be surprised to see him develop into fullback/centre.

Also have Onitoni Large behind him who could be an absolute superstar.

How do you compare him to say Boston Fakafanua who is a goal kicker and can also play 10, 11, 12 and 15 in rugby?

I think that they are both outstanding prospects and if I were running our R&R committee I would be trying to tempt both these boys to join the Eels junior elite academy. These are the sorts of kids that you take a punt on. You know before the Roosters do. Surely we would and should be a way better destination club then say slogging it out at the Tigers for 5-10 years with no real success or even finals prospects?

Like I have said, there are many available talents that are out there and that we could easily recruit if we had the gumption and will. But Potato Head, Glacier and Co just don't seem to have high enough aspirations to do what is necessary to be always one step ahead. Quality juniors always coming through is the way you beat the restrictions of the salary cap. That is why we find ourselves in the position we are in right now with no ready made backs of real class and quality coming through. We need to address this like I have said before...yesterday.

I mean anyone that watches Onitoni Large move and run can see that he should be a real star if brought along correctly and played in a quality roster from the get go. Strong powerful, fancy steps and speed to burn. Odds are very good and should be in his favour if his attitude is right, which so often comes down with the personnel you can surround him with at your club.