What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

eels_fan

First Grade
Surely we are buying someone before 1 August. Why aren’t we approaching teams that won’t make the finals and recruit them for the remainder of the year?
Other than the broncos and dogs I think everyone still “thinks” they can make the 8, and judging by the negative press RTS is copping, teams don’t want to be perceived to be giving up by letting go of players when still in the hunt.

hindy111

Post Whore
Have a look at the top 6 sides. Id argue the next best side is Canberra. What do you notice?

Bellamy,Des,Cleary,BA,Ricky,Robinson,Bennett. All long term coaches and most been there for a while.

Have a look at every other sides coach. Bar Madge who hasn't been there long they are all inexperienced.

So the 7 best sides in the comp have the 7 longest serving/experienced coaches.

lingard

Coach
I have been saying for at least 2-3 years that we need more players moving "off the ball". I expected more in this area from Matto when we signed him actually.
Matto certainly can do that - and probably loves doing it. It's being coached out of him. He's such a great player that even when adhering to the limited style the coach wants him to play, he's still exceptional. But if he was allowed to play his natural game more - he would be dynamite.

lingard

Coach
I’m starting to think that BA is a solid coach but just an inferior version of Terry Fearnley. Which is why history may repeat itself and we should try and jag someone like Jack Gibson way back in ‘81.

Wayne Bennett?
Except terry Fearnley was way more imaginative and innovative than B.A. I don't think we need a super-coach next up, though. Just someone with energy and fresh ideas - especially in attack.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The problem with 'eyes up footy' is that it gives players more responsibility than they can probably handle. We certainly attacked the edges better with Norman in the halves than Dylan Brown. And obviously Moses has much more experience than Jake Arthur.

Avenger

Immortal
I’d be giving a shot to that that Carr dude if we decided to move on BA when his contract expires especially if we can’t get an experienced coach that is palatable.

Avenger

Immortal
Most of them do. Don't forget Maguire has won a premiership, so he can 'get a team up for big games' if that's really a thing.
Pou I can see something like a swap with Holbrook when 2022 ends. This could easily happen if we continue to plateau and the Gold Coast miss the finals. Some coaches just suit other teams more. I suggested Ryan Carr but I can’t see us going with another rookie after BA’s tenure ends.

The board can always buy more time with an ‘experienced coach.’

My preferred pick would be Trent Robinson although I can’t see it happening.