What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Semi was definitely an x-factor player and that other outside back we had that ended up in jail was obviously one as well until he went O/S. But it is 4 season ago now since we had Semi and in 3 of those seasons we have had the squad to make the top 6, but not the player to get us over the line.

If we have either Semi or the other guy last night, we probably win that game.
Is there any of our juniors coming through that has X factor? Or has the skill been coached out of them ?

King-Gutho94

Coach
If Radradra was still with us in the past 3 years we probably would have at least got to a GF by now.

Take sivo out and put semi there in the last 3 years getting service of Gutho and moses he would have scored 60 tries and is 100 x better version then Saab

Semi was the x-factor that could score from anywhere and change the game.

Back on saab how on earth we let a Merrylands junior go to Manly last year when we told fergo he was going is ludicrous. He was whinging to st george for months about wanting to play in sydney did we pick up the phone

TheRam

Coach
If Radradra was still with us in the past 3 years we probably would have at least got to a GF by now.
Take sivo out and put semi there in the last 3 years getting service of Gutho and moses he would have scored 60 tries and is 100 x better version then Saab

Semi was the x-factor that could score from anywhere and change the game.

Back on saab how on earth we let a Merrylands junior go to Manly last year when we told fergo he was going is ludicrous. He was whinging to st george for months about wanting to play in sydney did we pick up the phone

BA doesn't have one.

emjaycee

Coach
Disagree.

He's already shown what a star he is - he calmed Ferguson down in defence, caused headaches all night, and was robbed of the match-winning try.

A lot of fuss has been made over Sam Walker, and Joseph Suali - Penisini can easily stand long them as a star already, imo.
Not disputing his quality mate. I just think the term 'star' is thrown out too easily. Would rather wait for more than 4 games before labelling Will P a star.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t see what getting troubled by footwork and speed has to do with not taking advantage of field position by converting it into points. In saying that I don’t know of any team that wouldn’t struggle against good footwork and speed. I think Moses and Gutherson have enough experience to be challenging for titles. They’re amongst the top echelon of players in the game. I don’t see how you can just hand wave away our forwards dominance as not being an important factor in how good we should be going. Forward dominance is one of the most crucial aspects to a teams success. It wasn’t a fluke that we beat the top teams when we played our best.
Gutherson lacks speed, Drown doesn't make good decisions, and Mahoney has missed nine games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Xavier Savage. He has the potential to be the next Papenhuyzen or JAC at the very least.

Also see my previous post as to how we might be able to make it happen for next season.
Right. You think Sivo and Nrown are shit but also thInk offering them to Canberra will encourage them to release a player you think is better? You also assume Sivo and Nrown are happy to leave their friends and move to another city.

I guess this is the kind of power play you successful merkins get up to in the real world.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nrown has been mediocre this season and should never have been re-signed.
I recall he was going pretty well when he re-signed, but also glad we stuck to our guns and called his bluff on looking for a bigger offer elsewhere. I'm pretty confident whoever handles recruitment/retention won't bend over for any merkin, which is how the big clubs operate. It's very exciting, but we could be losing some favorites for 2023.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Reckon Nrown has been playing injured and it caught up with him. BA did mention the other day Nrown needs more strapping for training then most players do on game day.

I'm pretty sure he struggled to fully recover from the hip pointer. May have also had rib cartilage injury, looked a bit tentative the last couple of months.

His style is brutal to the body, he was great vs the Knights, but it seemed to take its toll on him for this game.
Either way, Matterson and Papali'i offer more than him through the middle, and Jnr and Reeg need to play heavy minutes in big games anyway (they could both go 80 if required)so perhaps he wasn't hurt, just not good enough to play more last night.

Pazza

First Grade
Nrown is a really good player and a key member of our forward pack. But given the rise of players like Papalii, Niukore etc i dont see Nrown as an 80 minute player anymore. Definitely part of a rotation from here on in.