What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

strider

Post Whore
My little fella loves AFL. He thinks of the Eels as his dad's team.

To be fair, it's easy to play and very sanitised and well marketed. I think the NRL would lose a lot if it went down that path. It already has done. I'm sure you'll agree.
AFL (aussie rules) is a vastly superior game for participation. Kids should love it. You get to do a whole heap of different skills. Every kid loves to kick a ball - and you get to pick it up and run with it too - can even grab another kid n throw him on the ground aswell.

But i much prefer professional league to watch - even despite the wrestling element thats crept in.

Up until covid i would have said the AFL was run better ... but the NRL shat all over everyone in keeping shit alive the last 2 years. Obviously we dont do everything well tho.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
AFL (aussie rules) is a vastly superior game for participation. Kids should love it. You get to do a whole heap of different skills. Every kid loves to kick a ball - and you get to pick it up and run with it too - can even grab another kid n throw him on the ground aswell.

But i much prefer professional league to watch - even despite the wrestling element thats crept in.

Up until covid i would have said the AFL was run better ... but the NRL shat all over everyone in keeping shit alive the last 2 years. Obviously we dont do everything well tho.

Na disagree. League is the best game to get all the kids involved (coming from experience).

league every kid can be guaranteed a run of the ball (doesn’t require the ball actually going to them like AFL and soccer), plus they all get to tackle. And they all get a chance to kick goals.

Not all kids are confident/skilled at kicking (or even able to) but they can all run (or walk).

League is very easy to get all kids involved no matter the skill level.

TheRam

Coach
You really think kids only want to play the code which is played in their local area?

I mean some HM kids are recruited from the country and play HM in the city, we recruited Dylbags from NZ at 15 ffs, yet you allege kids wont travel across town. Makes no sense to me.

The western corridor could not financially stump up for a new team yet you blame the NRL for not supporting a team that may fail financially, sounds to me like they did the right thing although I'm not privy to the decision making process.

And as for the western corridor become AFL heartland, just f**king lol. Nearly all the AFL fans up here are expat Mexicans because they are Victoria's biggest export.

May have a lot to do with the fact that the Lions are on top and the Broncos have been shit for years.

Also there is a lot of dislike for the Broncos up here and those fans who hate them will be all over the Dolphins regardless of which suburb they are located in.

That is a very narrow interpretation of what is going on here. Sure kids that play RL now will travel far and wide to play if that is what it takes to play a game they love, especially if they are talented enough to be recruited by an NRL club for ffs. But think of the big picture and a little down the ways.

The AFL has plonked tens of millions of dollars worth of infrastructure all over the number one growth area of Brisbane and they are then spending tens of million per annum to recruit the next generation of kids in that area by setting up clinics, going to schools, and advertising the shit out of their product oh and they out number the NRL's development officers at least 20 to 1. Now how long do you think it will take for them to start recruiting thousands of kids that would have been RL kids and turning them into AFL kids. Even Pou said his little one sees RL as dads thing and AFL as his and ultimately what pous son is saying his generation sport.

The tide has already turned, it is just at the very start of the shift so not many will have noticed or want to admit to it, but the AFL has effectively won. Their half a century of slow creep out spend, growth and expand has finally given them the victory that they have been white boarding and planning since the 80's. Like I said earlier, like the Nazis in 1942 after the battle of Stalingrad most of the Germans back home didn't have a clue that it was all over right there and then. I mean the home front was still bullish and beating its chest just like the NRL is doing now, while the enemy is amassing its forces and encircling and launching massive frontal assaults and occupations while all we can do is Tokyo Rose style of announcements and feeble strategic advancements and strikes that don't have any impact on the outcome of the war.

To put it another way

The kids have been served up to the Morning Star and Gods angels are powerless to stop it. There is going to be plenty more blood spilt but in the end the land down under will be known as Satan's Kingdom where all the kiddies have lost their soul.

Also as for the Lions having more members then the Broncos because they are on top while the Broncos are at the bottom, of course that is the case for now, but lets compare them to the Storm for a sec. If there is ever a case for any team in the whole of Australia to have more then 50K fully paid up members and a waiting list for thousands to get a seat, it is the Storm. The most successful sporting organisation in the country for around 2 decades now. But they can't even break the 30K mark this last season even after winning the Premiership yet again. And from what was release last week of the breakdown of the members they have it was made up of more then half by Islander and Maori decent. Which means they haven't converted many non NRL types at all and their junior development reflects that in bucket loads. The Lions and AFL in QLD though keep producing junior players and more new members by the day. Yeah the NRL is winning. They got dis.

TheRam

Coach
Na disagree. League is the best game to get all the kids involved (coming from experience).

league every kid can be guaranteed a run of the ball (doesn’t require the ball actually going to them like AFL and soccer), plus they all get to tackle. And they all get a chance to kick goals.

Not all kids are confident/skilled at kicking (or even able to) but they can all run (or walk).

Arguing over the merits of which game is better to play for the kiddies is missing the point. BTW they both have merit and are easy to sell if you have the doe and feet on the ground to sell them. Which is the point.

The AFL is out selling us by a factor or 20 x1 and even more in some areas. That type of advantage guarantees eventual victory for them unless they totally mismanage it. Which they haven't and now they are coming into their rolling in the tanks stage.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal
*for fs
Don't forget I live in Perth.
You think the area could sustain the 18th franchise? As you know I lived in South Perth and their oldest League team is situated there. f**k I loved it there.

And if so, should they relocate a Sydney Team there or start from scratch?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I've been to an NRL game over here as well as the Nines. They were both packed. I'm sure they could sustain a team. I don't know whether new vs relocation would be better. I assume it would need its own identity. Reds and Pirates already exist as brands.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I've been to an NRL game over here as well as the Nines. They were both packed. I'm sure they could sustain a team. I don't know whether new vs relocation would be better. I assume it would need its own identity. Reds and Pirates already exist as brands.
*"Western Boarder Blockers" has a ring to it.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Thoughts on the effect Redcliffes entry may have on The Storm. Spider senses reckon the monopoly they have had on Qld talent may disappear quickly particularly if The Broncos improve as well. One can only hope. Not too many juniors coming through in Vic.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
That is a very narrow interpretation of what is going on here. Sure kids that play RL now will travel far and wide to play if that is what it takes to play a game they love, especially if they are talented enough to be recruited by an NRL club for ffs. But think of the big picture and a little down the ways.

The AFL has plonked tens of millions of dollars worth of infrastructure all over the number one growth area of Brisbane and they are then spending tens of million per annum to recruit the next generation of kids in that area by setting up clinics, going to schools, and advertising the shit out of their product oh and they out number the NRL's development officers at least 20 to 1. Now how long do you think it will take for them to start recruiting thousands of kids that would have been RL kids and turning them into AFL kids. Even Pou said his little one sees RL as dads thing and AFL as his and ultimately what pous son is saying his generation sport.

The tide has already turned, it is just at the very start of the shift so not many will have noticed or want to admit to it, but the AFL has effectively won. Their half a century of slow creep out spend, growth and expand has finally given them the victory that they have been white boarding and planning since the 80's. Like I said earlier, like the Nazis in 1942 after the battle of Stalingrad most of the Germans back home didn't have a clue that it was all over right there and then. I mean the home front was still bullish and beating its chest just like the NRL is doing now, while the enemy is amassing its forces and encircling and launching massive frontal assaults and occupations while all we can do is Tokyo Rose style of announcements and feeble strategic advancements and strikes that don't have any impact on the outcome of the war.

To put it another way

The kids have been served up to the Morning Star and Gods angels are powerless to stop it. There is going to be plenty more blood spilt but in the end the land down under will be known as Satan's Kingdom where all the kiddies have lost their soul.

Also as for the Lions having more members then the Broncos because they are on top while the Broncos are at the bottom, of course that is the case for now, but lets compare them to the Storm for a sec. If there is ever a case for any team in the whole of Australia to have more then 50K fully paid up members and a waiting list for thousands to get a seat, it is the Storm. The most successful sporting organisation in the country for around 2 decades now. But they can't even break the 30K mark this last season even after winning the Premiership yet again. And from what was release last week of the breakdown of the members they have it was made up of more then half by Islander and Maori decent. Which means they haven't converted many non NRL types at all and their junior development reflects that in bucket loads. The Lions and AFL in QLD though keep producing junior players and more new members by the day. Yeah the NRL is winning. They got dis.

Have you ever lived there ?

Just wondering where you are getting your info from.

Delboy

First Grade
Live in Perth for 10 years northern beaches and south too, saw a lot of league while there. North Beach was strong, and there was a decent junior base too.

Probably would work, but NRL doesn’t seem to have the appetite for some reason.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I used to live next door to a local dude who played rugby league at school. And WARL development officers came to my daughter's school this year. They were stunned that she was able to identify the dummy half.

hindy111

Post Whore

If you're a strong kid sure. Soccer is popular cause it's skill based not power.