What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
You have an unhealthy obsession with signing him. At the same price he’d be lineball with Gutho IMO. At double the price, I’m not even sure why you’d bother contemplating it.

I'd happily pay 250k-300k more for Ponga. He is a level above. Defenses hold off him and get nervous. As far as balance goes if we had Rheed,Ponga and Moses we could let Dylan go and find a 300k 5/8. Someone good in defense who can chime in if has to. Its all we would need with Moses and Ponga

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Marata is a hard worker but how much was/is he really worth?

This is really simplified but if you start with a total salary cap at $10m for 2022 for 30 players you have a mean of $333k each. Allow for your top 3 players to earn say, $2M between them that brings the mean down to $296k for the remaining 27 players. A couple of 2nd tier players on $500k to $600k each means you have $7m for 25 players and then add in another 2 or 3 players on minimum wage of $120k and you have $6.6m for 22 players so an average of $300k each. I am sure Pou can create a bell curve that shows a probable spread of salaries across a full squad.

Where does Marata sit against the average player and therefore average cost?
He is a hard worker but doesn't stand out as a 'star' on a consistent basis. He isn't likely to win you a game on his own and although he won't necessarily lose you a game, his ill-discipline at times need to be taken into account. So I would value him at about $350k to $400k max (using the very simplified process above).

If the stated initial offer of $275k is accurate, it isn't a huge lowballing. It is probably about 30% short but if Warriors want to pay a slightly better than average player $625k they are going to be filling their squad positions 21-30 with minimum wage players and hoping they don't get injuries to their top squad.

Of course none of the above might be right and I might simply have no idea, but I reckon MON does as he has been doing okay to get our squad into a competitive and pretty well balanced state over the last few years.

Wait, when did MON start?

Rocket man

Juniors
I wonder would the club consider releasing Marata early.
Use his money to upgrade someone for 2022.
Or is Marata on unders for 2022.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If he’s on 275k next season that’s unders, where can you find a player if his quality at that price?? And he seems like the type of bloke who give his all no matter what. The job of our club is to find someone who can do a similar job as him for around the same price.

Gazzamatta

Coach
What I don't get is this "if Rheed shows genuine interest in being a Bulldog" crap. Why would he show any interest in leaving our club for theirs unless they threw massive overs at him?
Typical Gus smugness. The guy is his own greatest fan. Penrith worked him out and eventually everyone else will catch up. Hes convinced his sh*t dosent stink but I reckon its fu*ken putrid.

84 Baby

Referee
I'd happily pay 250k-300k more for Ponga. He is a level above. Defenses hold off him and get nervous. As far as balance goes if we had Rheed,Ponga and Moses we could let Dylan go and find a 300k 5/8. Someone good in defense who can chime in if has to. Its all we would need with Moses and Ponga
He should do all those things but he has yet to so far in Newcastle make an impact on a consistent basis (pretty sure we copped the same stories about another fullback). Whilst he’s not as gifted, Gutho has been consistent in his time so far

Gronk

Staff member
You have an unhealthy obsession with signing him. At the same price he’d be lineball with Gutho IMO. At double the price, I’m not even sure why you’d bother contemplating it.
I'm just saying that the teams who win comps have a GOAT. Sometimes they don't, but more often than not they do.

Ponga is on the market - which other elite NRL player is there ?

As for Ponga and Gutho being on the same level, don't agree.

I'm more than happy for our GOAT to be Dylan, but so far I'm not convinced that it will happen.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't disagree with this in the Hayne context (or in any other case involving fans' perception of the player's value on the field). My point was purely about fans' perceptions regarding the contract negotiating process.
I think when numbers get thrown around plenty of fans see the players as greedy and overpaid, especially young players with potential who "haven't achieved anything".

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
How many of our top 30 would be on min wage or close to? Dunster, Ray Stone, Hipgrave, Makatoa, Curtis Scott, Hayze Perham, Wiremu, Penisini, JArthur?? We potentially have a lot of value at the bottom end of our roster.

yy_cheng

Coach
Marata went up a level this season. In 2020 he was solid also but still a bench player who was ok to fill in as a starter. 2021 he went to a guy who isna great bench player or an ok starter.
275K for a bench player was reasonable. The level he is at now I suggest 400k is reasonable. 450k would be a stretch. 650k is huge overs.

You need to compare him to what a guy who costs closer to min would be and his output. Example is STONE AND HIPGRAVE. Both would be closer to 100k. Then to RCG, N.BROWN, JNR who range from 550k -750k.

N.Brown isn't old and passed it. He has been playing injured and now playing with a better pack so gets less carries and work. He is still a better player then Marata imo.

I like Marata. He is a little better then Lane. Some prefer him to Matterson but I find Matterson more skillful.
I don't doubt Matto is more skilled, but I don't see his skills shown on the park though.

emjaycee

Coach
I think that is true if the fans are 'off a player' because of his perceived usefulness to the team. But I'm not convinced that the clubs trying to sign the player, or the player themself give too much of a shit about what a bunch of blokes on social media reckon about a player being photographed have dinner with prospective employers. I can't, for instance, believe that the Eels would make less effort to re-sign Reed in this case (at least not in any substantive sense).
Personally, I reckon Reed would laugh it off and just say "Yeah, been busy. Hahah" if asked about his chinese dinner making the papers and the speculation that goes along with it.

yy_cheng

Coach
I wouldn't release him. At the moment, we have a better chance in 2022 to win the premiership than 2023 at the moment, and it's better to keep him as there are always injuries, judicuries and resting of players throughout the season.

84 Baby

Referee
I'm just saying that the teams who win comps have a GOAT. Sometimes they don't, but more often than not they do.

Ponga is on the market - which other elite NRL player is there ?

As for Ponga and Gutho being on the same level, don't agree.

I'm more than happy for our GOAT to be Dylan, but so far I'm not convinced that it will happen.
You also have an unhealthy obsession with goats

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon signing Ponga is potentially possible without blowing the cap apart.

Say for 2023 we sign:

Gutho on $800k
Drown on $600k
Sivo stays on $400k

total - $1.8 million

we could instead:

ponga - $1 million to $1.2 million (reckon the media $1.4 m suggestion is crap. Additionally he may want to play in a stronger side / move to Sydney for media opportunities)

JA - $200 to $300k or so (yeah he doesn’t have a lot of fans, but after another 2 NRL off seasons will improve substantially plus in a spine of Moses/Mahoney/Ponga only needs to be “solid”)

Russell - $150k, then promote a younger back into the squad (Sam? JT?)

total - $1.350 to $1.650 million

obviously not that simple….but seems possible..

Latest posts