What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
That's not how it works. Teams will offer him whatever he's worth to them. Whatever the warriors paid him won't change that.
I really don’t get this logic. If he’s on the free market the payout isn’t part of the equation. He will take the best offer (including salary) regardless of how much money he has in the bank. Just like when RCG came to Parra.
Well that depends who is interested. He can go to the Tigers and maybe get big coin again.

Or he can go to a better club, but he'll need to make some concessions at his end. That's how it works.

Gronk

Staff member
So the same as any other player?
Exactly, but the premise that he'll get paid top coin is flawed because good clubs will not pay him the same as shit clubs. Good clubs know that he has already received his 2023 salary, so nobody in their right mind wouldn't lowball him.

I think we all agree that ultimately he'll get paid what he market demands. It's just there is not just one market out there. There is an ESL market. A shit club NRL market and a good club NRL market and all will have different $$ values and contract terms attached.

Exactly, but the premise that he'll get paid top coin is flawed because good clubs will not pay him the same as shit clubs. Good clubs know that he has already received his 2023 salary, so nobody in their right mind wouldn't lowball him.

I think we all agree that ultimately he'll get paid what he market demands. It's just there is not just one market out there. There is an ESL market. A shit club NRL market and a good club NRL market and all will have different $$ values and contract terms attached.
I'm not sure you could have written anything more nonsensical if you tried.

What is nonsense ?
See below:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well that depends who is interested. He can go to the Tigers and maybe get big coin again.

Or he can go to a better club, but he'll need to make some concessions at his end. That's how it works.
But isn’t that the case regardless of how much he got paid before?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm not sure you could have written anything more nonsensical if you tried.
To be fair, I can see how a player who already has a lot of money being more likely to turn down the huge pay day in favour of chasing on-field success. This compared to someone like Papali’i who has only ever received modest salaries.

To be fair, I can see how a player who already has a lot of money being more likely to turn down the huge pay day in favour of chasing on-field success. This compared to someone like Papali’i who has only ever received modest salaries.
Yes but in this case we're talking about a player who already lost a significant amount of money. And in most cases anyway I think it wouldn't make much of a difference.

TheRam

Coach
I’d rather Tapine than Lodge.

Is he available at a good club market value?

Or should we go for Lodge at a 'I've been paid out for this year and next and bolted like a bandit in the night' market value?

I'm a little confused.

TheRam

Coach

Exactly. I think he would be mad not to at least sign with Penrith, Melbourne or Parra, for the remainder of this year to give himself a genuine chance at a title before he signs with a lesser team that may offer him better coin, but realistically he won't probably ever be playing for a title contender again at least not for a handful of years.

We should be breaking our necks trying to get him here for this and next year if possible. There is no other front rower at the club that can give us the same go forward and experience that he brings when both Junior and RCG are off the field when all we have is a collision game, then the more gorillas we have that keep that momentum pumping along, the odds of us actually pulling off a minor miracle and winning this years premiership definitely jumps up a few percentage points. Not to mention if we were to lose either of our current two front rowers our season would all but be over. At the very least he would keep us in the mix.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Exactly. I think he would be mad not to at least sign with Penrith, Melbourne or Parra, for the remainder of this year to give himself a genuine chance at a title before he signs with a lesser team that may offer him better coin, but realistically he won't probably ever be playing for a title contender again at least not for a handful of years.

We should be breaking our necks trying to get him here for this and next year if possible. There is no other front rower at the club that can give us the same go forward and experience that he brings when both Junior and RCG are off the field when all we have is a collision game, then the more gorillas we have that keep that momentum pumping along, the odds of us actually pulling off a minor miracle and winning this years premiership definitely jumps up a few percentage points. Not to mention if we were to lose either of our current two front rowers our season would all but be over. At the very least he would keep us in the mix.
Would you not be worried about his obviously shady exit from the Warriors, his close connection to known allegedly shifty bastard (now at the Dolphins as recruitment manager), his history of never completing a contract, his manager who has close ties to another player manager who was deregistered in relation to our own salary cap debacle and demonstrably ordinary character? I would. On the field he's not bad but.