What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

The answer to that won’t be known until we know who is replacing them…

Yep. Of the 5, 2 regularly start games, and one is a great regular bench player. Kaufusi and Niukore are eminently replaceable. We need to spend a bit more in the backs and a little less in this pigs, and hope that our cheaper pig recruits do the job

Soto

Bench
If we lose Matto that is just plain and simply $%#^&. We have lost enough with the others going and either being bone headed or inept with negotiating to keep him and other speaks volumes of the recruitment and retention policy.
I know others who supposedly know or think they are inner sanctum are going to carry on and say he's asking too much and bla bla bla. Unless there are leaks no-one knows.
He is extremely versatile and he should get the same if not slightly more than he's on now.
If we were to win the comp then I couldn't give 2 shits who leaves.
I just think the retention has been abysmal as no club is losing or loses as many players as us in the 1 year. Don't compare us to the Storm who are losing Bromwich x 2, kaufusi and Brandon Smith. Apart from Smith the other 3 are just cashing up and their better days are behind them. It's a win win for club and players.
Plus they have won comps. We've won donuts.
Sort this mess out now or recruit some good replacements. I like the signing of Hopgood. Goes well. Need more like him but will need some experienced backrowers as that's where we will be sorely lacking next yr

The Predictor

Juniors
3 months ago most people on here didn’t give a shit whether we kept Matterson, now it’s the be all and end all if we lose him, just saying 🤷🏼‍♂️ You always find someone to fill that gap, he is a $$$$$$ man with no loyalty, only to the $, at the end of the day the club nursed him through all his concussions, that should mean something….if he goes he goes proving he is not a Parra man….ta ta Ryan best of luck, enjoy winning f**k all at flipper’s

Last edited:

lucablight

First Grade
I can understand losing Papali’i and Niukore considering they’d be getting substantially higher more money than they are now at their new clubs. Matterson was already a big money player so that one is hard to understand.

If we lose Matto that is just plain and simply $%#^&. We have lost enough with the others going and either being bone headed or inept with negotiating to keep him and other speaks volumes of the recruitment and retention policy.
I know others who supposedly know or think they are inner sanctum are going to carry on and say he's asking too much and bla bla bla. Unless there are leaks no-one knows.
He is extremely versatile and he should get the same if not slightly more than he's on now.
I just think the retention has been abysmal as no club is losing or loses as many players as us in the 1 year. Don't compare us to the Storm who are losing Bromwich x 2, kaufusi and Brandon Smith. Apart from Smith the other 3 are just cashing up and their better days are behind them. It's a win win for club and players.
Sort this mess out now or recruit some good replacements. I like the signing of Hopgood. Goes well. Need more like him but will need some experienced backrowers as that's where we will be sorely lacking next yr

Well, I'm not in any inner sanctum. But if you simply decide to retain all of those players at their asking price, what money do you have left for the rest of the squad? Serious question. How do you think this works? It's easy as f**k to say...just sign this guy....and ignore the collateral consequences of that decision. I'd like to re-sign Matto, but he doesn't have great history of loyalty to anyone, so I wouldn't hold my breath....and he has a concussion risk factor has to be considered in the price you pay....starter clubs like the Dolphins can discount that risk a bit because they are trying to build a fan base from near scratch. As you note, Hopgood is good signing and we have to make more like that. And we've done bloody well at signing cheaper forwards in recent years.

3 months ago most people on here didn’t give a shit whether we kept Matterson, now it’s the be all and end all if we lose him, just saying 🤷🏼‍♂️ You always find someone to fill that gap, he is a $$$$$$ man with no loyalty, only to the $, at the end of the day the club nursed him through all his concussions, that should mean something….if he goes he goes proving he is not a Parra man.
Pretty much. And the concussions might still be a concern.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I hope we lose as many players as want too much money. The fact they are getting big deals elsewhere shows we are good at developing players and also that we make them look good. Who was the last player who left our club and went better anywhere else?

lucablight

First Grade
I hope we lose as many players as want too much money. The fact they are getting big deals elsewhere shows we are good at developing players and also that we make them look good. Who was the last player who left our club and went better anywhere else?
That would be fine if we had some finals success to show for it. Hopefully this year is the year.

Soto

Bench
Well, I'm not in any inner sanctum. But if you simply decide to retain all of those players at their asking price, what money do you have left for the rest of the squad? Serious question. How do you think this works? It's easy as f**k to say...just sign this guy....and ignore the collateral consequences of that decision. I'd like to re-sign Matto, but he doesn't have great history of loyalty to anyone, so I wouldn't hold my breath....and he has a concussion risk factor has to be considered in the price you pay....starter clubs like the Dolphins can discount that risk a bit because they are trying to build a fan base from near scratch. As you note, Hopgood is good signing and we have to make more like that. And we've done bloody well at signing cheaper forwards in recent years.
Purely and simply on the fact we are losing Nuikore, Kaufusi, Stone, Mahoney AND Papalii..that's plenty of $$$ there.
Again if it's the same or similar money then it's a no brainer. From all reports the $$$ being offered by the Dolphins is the same or even less than what he's on so it's not like they are blowing us out of the water.
We are losing a truckload of experience. At this stage it just doesn't add up

Last edited: