What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Suitman

Post Whore
is it speed? everyone keeps saying we lack speed but whilst it is part of the problem, i am more concerned about the enthusiasm and aggression that our backs run with. if you take both the dolphins and the raiders games - look at their backlines, they are essentially a bunch of unknowns, but the aggression and enthusiasm they play with, especially when they get a sniff of a retreating defence or staggered defensive line is something we dont have. who the f*** was the dolphins fullback on friday night? he was about 5ft tall and 60kgs and he was running it back like he was 6ft and 100kg.

the other thing I am finding concerning of late is the lack of support play at the line. Brown and Hopgood and to a lesser extent paulo and lane often have arms free but there is no one ever there running off them.

Coaching. Or lack of.
Simple.

emjaycee

Coach
Monday Buzz: Parramatta Eels chairman Sean McElduff Q&A on Brad Arthur coaching future, disastrous Dolphins performance
A chat with Eels chairman Sean McElduff put a spotlight on the fact Parramatta are a club in denial, refusing to concede there’s any problem with coach Brad Arthur. Phil Rothfield reveals the Q&A that exposes what’s wrong at the Eels.

Phil Rothfield

The Parramatta Eels are sadly in denial.
After a pathetic performance against the Dolphins on Friday night, Eels chairman Sean McElduff has refused to concede there is a problem with coach Brad Arthur.
They have now conceded 105 points in the last three games against the Raiders, Cowboys and Dolphins and face a tough three weeks against Manly, the Broncos and Storm.
I spoke to McElduff over the weekend about the current situation.
Read on and you’ll see what I mean about them being in denial.
Buzz: How’s the coach looking?
McElduff: It’s not panic stations yet.

Parramatta Eels chairman Sean McElduff. Picture: Brett Costello
Buzz: That was terrible on Friday night, they showed no heart in the second half.
McElduff: It wasn’t a good performance, I agree. You heard what the coach said afterwards.
Buzz: And you were flogged two weeks ago against the Raiders.
McElduff: In between that we had a good win against the Cowboys. Before the Canberra game we beat Manly.
Buzz: But surely the coach is under pressure.
McElduff: I wouldn’t say so at this stage.
Buzz: But you didn’t make the eight last year.
McElduff: We expect to be a finals team but we’re just seven games into the comp.
Buzz: So you’re not even looking at the coaching position?
McElduff: No, we’re not. It’s too early. Obviously we’re missing Mitchell (Moses). He’s a massive loss.
Buzz: Okay, if you don’t make the eight, is Brad safe?
McElduff: It’s too early to have that conversation.

McElduff refused to admit Brad Arthur is a man under pressure. Picture: NRL Photos
Buzz: It’s a fair question.
McElduff: It’s a reasonable question but it depends. If you get lapped every week, it’s one scenario. If you miss the eight but have injuries, it’s how the team’s performing for the coach.
There’s a whole host of things. It’s futile speculating now because we’re only seven games into a 25-game season. That’s the way I think about it. As I said, we beat the Cowboys last week.
Buzz: You’ve conceded 85 points against Canberra and the Dolphins.
McElduff: Canberra in Canberra is a tough game. The Dolphins performance was terrible. The coach said that. Let’s see how we respond. Brad’s been good for a long time. It’s not even something we’re even contemplating at this time.
Buzz: Your fans are very angry.
McElduff: I can understand that after the performance on Friday night.

A dejected Clinton Gutherson on Friday night against the Dolphins after his team shipped eight tries within 25 minutes. Picture: NRL Photos
So on that note we ended the conversation.
That second half performance in Darwin on Friday night was the worst I’ve seen from a Parramatta Eels side for 10 years.
Arthur said after the game: “We gave up.” And he was spot on.
Somehow the Dolphins scored eight tries between the 50th and 75th minutes. That’s almost a try every three minutes.
It’s easy for people in denial like McElduff to blame it on the absence of Moses.
Not to mention the Dolphins were without Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Tom Flegler, Felise Kaufusi and Herbie Farnworth, close enough to their best four players.
Besides, I’m not sure Moses could have saved any of the eight tries in those 25 minutes. I’m also not sure he could have stopped Canberra scoring 41 points two weeks earlier. This team has conceded an average of 35 points a game in three weeks.
All clubs suffer injuries to key players.

Other clubs are coping without their best players, so why can’t Parramatta cope without Moses? Picture: NRL Photos
Look how Penrith keep finding ways to win without Nathan Cleary.
The Broncos seem to manage when Adam Reynolds is not there.
Storm had Cameron Munster out for the first five weeks but kept winning.
Moses is not the reason Parramatta is in crisis.
More Coverage

Dolphins in the box seat for Vegas debut as QLD rivals scatter

‘Never seen anything like it’: Legend slams Eels as pressure mounts
This goes back to the last season’s premiership capitulation.
They have now won just six of their last 15 games.
The players are not responding to Arthur’s coaching. It’s as simple as that.

This is very exciting.

Legal Eel

Juniors
One for all those who say a change of coach makes no difference

Neil Henry was sacked at the cowboys at the end of 2013.

paul green came in and with no major roster moves he won a comp within 2 years

JokerEel

Coach
If we don't promote them and they play in a position we are strong in, then they leave just and sign elsewhere (Sanders).
If we sign someone as a stop gap (like Morgan Harper on a near minimum 1 year contract) to give the younger players time to develop, they complain their path to FG is blocked and look to leave.

Why is it other clubs can talk their juniors to stay and play Flegg and then come up through cup but we have to rush them through or they will leave?

Also only that Tiger fan is going on about Harper blocking anyone...

Chipmunk

Coach
2 MMM (James Graham) mentioned this today, while talking about the Eels.
We must have been listening to the same thing.
I think it's just Triple M these days.

I wish they would convert one of our stations down here in the 'berra to a Triple M...they're already owned by the same company.

JokerEel

Coach
Monday Buzz: Parramatta Eels chairman Sean McElduff Q&A on Brad Arthur coaching future, disastrous Dolphins performance
A chat with Eels chairman Sean McElduff put a spotlight on the fact Parramatta are a club in denial, refusing to concede there’s any problem with coach Brad Arthur. Phil Rothfield reveals the Q&A that exposes what’s wrong at the Eels.

Phil Rothfield

The Parramatta Eels are sadly in denial.
After a pathetic performance against the Dolphins on Friday night, Eels chairman Sean McElduff has refused to concede there is a problem with coach Brad Arthur.
They have now conceded 105 points in the last three games against the Raiders, Cowboys and Dolphins and face a tough three weeks against Manly, the Broncos and Storm.
I spoke to McElduff over the weekend about the current situation.
Read on and you’ll see what I mean about them being in denial.
Buzz: How’s the coach looking?
McElduff: It’s not panic stations yet.

Parramatta Eels chairman Sean McElduff. Picture: Brett Costello
Buzz: That was terrible on Friday night, they showed no heart in the second half.
McElduff: It wasn’t a good performance, I agree. You heard what the coach said afterwards.
Buzz: And you were flogged two weeks ago against the Raiders.
McElduff: In between that we had a good win against the Cowboys. Before the Canberra game we beat Manly.
Buzz: But surely the coach is under pressure.
McElduff: I wouldn’t say so at this stage.
Buzz: But you didn’t make the eight last year.
McElduff: We expect to be a finals team but we’re just seven games into the comp.
Buzz: So you’re not even looking at the coaching position?
McElduff: No, we’re not. It’s too early. Obviously we’re missing Mitchell (Moses). He’s a massive loss.
Buzz: Okay, if you don’t make the eight, is Brad safe?
McElduff: It’s too early to have that conversation.

McElduff refused to admit Brad Arthur is a man under pressure. Picture: NRL Photos
Buzz: It’s a fair question.
McElduff: It’s a reasonable question but it depends. If you get lapped every week, it’s one scenario. If you miss the eight but have injuries, it’s how the team’s performing for the coach.
There’s a whole host of things. It’s futile speculating now because we’re only seven games into a 25-game season. That’s the way I think about it. As I said, we beat the Cowboys last week.
Buzz: You’ve conceded 85 points against Canberra and the Dolphins.
McElduff: Canberra in Canberra is a tough game. The Dolphins performance was terrible. The coach said that. Let’s see how we respond. Brad’s been good for a long time. It’s not even something we’re even contemplating at this time.
Buzz: Your fans are very angry.
McElduff: I can understand that after the performance on Friday night.

A dejected Clinton Gutherson on Friday night against the Dolphins after his team shipped eight tries within 25 minutes. Picture: NRL Photos
So on that note we ended the conversation.
That second half performance in Darwin on Friday night was the worst I’ve seen from a Parramatta Eels side for 10 years.
Arthur said after the game: “We gave up.” And he was spot on.
Somehow the Dolphins scored eight tries between the 50th and 75th minutes. That’s almost a try every three minutes.
It’s easy for people in denial like McElduff to blame it on the absence of Moses.
Not to mention the Dolphins were without Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Tom Flegler, Felise Kaufusi and Herbie Farnworth, close enough to their best four players.
Besides, I’m not sure Moses could have saved any of the eight tries in those 25 minutes. I’m also not sure he could have stopped Canberra scoring 41 points two weeks earlier. This team has conceded an average of 35 points a game in three weeks.
All clubs suffer injuries to key players.

Other clubs are coping without their best players, so why can’t Parramatta cope without Moses? Picture: NRL Photos
Look how Penrith keep finding ways to win without Nathan Cleary.
The Broncos seem to manage when Adam Reynolds is not there.
Storm had Cameron Munster out for the first five weeks but kept winning.
Moses is not the reason Parramatta is in crisis.
More Coverage

Dolphins in the box seat for Vegas debut as QLD rivals scatter

‘Never seen anything like it’: Legend slams Eels as pressure mounts
This goes back to the last season’s premiership capitulation.
They have now won just six of their last 15 games.
The players are not responding to Arthur’s coaching. It’s as simple as that.

Why does Buzz aks questions we already know what the answer will be..

Dig deeper ask why our other teams Flegg and CUP are sucking.

Ask about the Recruiting and Retention..

Delboy

First Grade
So, you think we have a problem with our players and not the coach?
Think the recruitment has been substandard, and can’t absolve the coach as tactically nothing has evolved and inside the opposition 10 there seems no plan other than crash balls.
Think it’s an honest reflection of where we are, not a full roster for 2 seasons and an absolute dearth of backline signings and speed.

Couple that with losing so much junior talent it’s pretty frustrating.

So , both are to blame but on balance not sure the roster is where it should be, and that’s been an issue since the change in admin. No objection to a coaching change, but need to streamline the admin and be far more progressive.

emjaycee

Coach
Why is it other clubs can talk their juniors to stay and play Flegg and then come up through cup but we have to rush them through or they will leave?

Also only that Tiger fan is going on about Harper blocking anyone...
I have no idea but it has been that way for a while now.
Why can't 19 year old Sanders realise that although he has Moses in front of him at the moment, biding his time and learning his trade over the next 3-4 years, while filling in for Moses as needed is a great apprentiship?

Why did Stefano demand to be paid more than he was worth before he had even played first grade and not decide to bide his time for a year or two and instead to go to the Tigers?

JokerEel

Coach
I have no idea but it has been that way for a while now.
Why can't 19 year old Sanders realise that although he has Moses in front of him at the moment, biding his time and learning his trade over the next 3-4 years, while filling in for Moses as needed is a great apprentiship?

Why did Stefano demand to be paid more than he was worth before he had even played first grade and not decide to bide his time for a year or two and instead to go to the Tigers?

Frustrating is all I can say...

Latest posts