What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He gets the money. Not the club. The club loses a half they have developed.
Steal is a reasonable descriptor.
We would’ve had to give him that much money to keep him ffs. He won’t be going to Canberra to play reserve grade, meaning he is on first team money. If we matched that offer we would also have to give him a starting spot to justify it. Who should we have rissoled to fit him in the team?

Because that’s the calculation here, not whether he is a good player or not.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I also think Alex McKinnon getting injured destroyed that club on top of other issues.

But McKinnon got injured in Round 2 or 3 in 2014 the knights werent the same after that and Wayne knew it was best to get out.
I remember exactly where I was when I saw that (at a gym in the UAE) and I still feel sick in the guts when I think about it. Poor bastard.

Wally21

Bench
All these discussions and opinions are more than interesting, but at the end of the day the club needs a circuit breaker.

Obviously both coaching and recruitment haven't moved with the changes in the NRL of the past 3 years. It seems that we have too many old soldiers who won’t get any better, and an absolute lack of speed , youth and depth.

We all have opinions on where the first strike should be made to refresh the club, and the board has to look hard at where we are and basically take steps so we are not left further behind the top 5/6 clubs. That article from rugbyleaugueyetest outlined some of the issues, that almost could be the starting point .

If , as suggested , there are difficulties between the HOF and Coach, the a fresh start in those areas may be where they commence. Don’t think we should see any hesitation and if the hierarchy is full of professional decision makers, then simply make decisions.
Sums it up in the most pragmatic way mate. Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. However, I don’t think anyone could argue that things are going well and there doesn’t need to be a change or 10. Not without being an absolute merkin who is just here to get some sort of warped satisfaction anyway

Avenger

Immortal
Nice deflection from the subject being commented on mate.
We weren't talking about the role of the primary negotiator but rather the role the head coach plays in recruitment.
And if you continued watching NRL360 you would have seen that the coach should have the final say as it should be. Do you think that a player is forced upon any coach including BA? Not a chance. Maybe he doesn’t get what he wants but I doubt any recruited player is forced upon him. However I reckon MON doesn’t fight hard enough for BA. You and I both know he wanted Staggs but we didn’t offer enough because we paid too much for our forwards.

We have been putrid in recruitment because BA has decided to put all his chips on a dominant forward pack which is aging and still taking up the majority of our cap and the reason for this is because he has relied on a one dimensional power game that is becoming a outdated strategy.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Interesting Solly saying on 360 that the rabbitohs do not allow their head coach to make final decisions on recruitment, they get a say or input but that is all.

that doesn’t seem to fit Wayne’s style at all
Did you see the Dolphins documentary on Stan? Bennett gave them a wishlist and that seemed to be it. He wasn’t out signing players or juggling the cap.

emjaycee

Coach
And if you continued watching NRL360 you would have seen that the coach should have the final say as it should be. Do you think that a player is forced upon any coach including BA? Not a chance. Maybe he doesn’t get what he wants but I doubt any recruited player is forced upon him. However I reckon MON doesn’t fight hard enough for BA. You and I both know he wanted Staggs but we didn’t offer enough because we paid too much for our forwards.

We have been putrid in recruitment because BA has decided to put all his chips on a dominant forward pack which is aging and still taking up the majority of our cap and the reason for this is because he has relied on a one dimensional power game that is becoming a outdated strategy.
So you are saying that BA gets input into who he does and doesnt want and that he may not always gets who he does want, but he doesnt get someone he doesn't want forced upon him.

Isn't that what Solly says happens at Souths, that I commented on and you challenged?

the phantom menace

First Grade
So you are saying that BA gets input into who he does and doesnt want and that he may not always gets who he does want, but he doesnt get someone he doesn't want forced upon him.

Isn't that what Solly says happens at Souths, that I commented on and you challenged?
No, the quote about Solly that you're trying to equate with what Avenger posted was "Interesting Solly saying on 360 that the rabbitohs do not allow their head coach to make final decisions on recruitment, they get a say or input but that is all."

If you can't notice the difference between what's being said there, then I'm not sure we can help you....

Avenger

Immortal

I challenged it because you used the same approach all be it in a veiled way like your old mate that you continually enable.

You don’t need to use circular logic. You are too much of a straight shooter to incorporate that heap of shit.

emjaycee

Coach
I challenged it because you used the same approach all be it in a veiled way like your old mate that you continually enable.

You don’t need to use circular logic. You are too much of a straight shooter to incorporate that heap of shit.
f**k off, I made my comment in good faith.

For months on here people have been bitching and moaning about our R&R committee and how the coach doesnt get the players he wants because "Rogers, Sarantino and MON" don't give them to him. When it comes to light that another club has a similar process in place and doesn't give the coach sole responsibility for recruitment decisions, am I supposed to just say nothing? I am too much of a straight shooter to let that go through to the keeper.

Avenger

Immortal
f**k off, I made my comment in good faith.

For months on here people have been bitching and moaning about our R&R committee and how the coach doesnt get the players he wants because "Rogers, Sarantino and MON" don't give them to him. When it comes to light that another club has a similar process in place and doesn't give the coach sole responsibility for recruitment decisions, am I supposed to just say nothing? I am too much of a straight shooter to let that go through to the keeper.
I have always assumed and said that BA has a major say in recuitment and I also highly suspect that the relationship with Mark O’Neill is dysfunctional. I also reckon they are the only two that actually have a say in relation to the attributes of the player. The others just tick and flick.

I have also said that I’d sack O’Neill before BA because someone calling major shots about our club who is a life member of another SHOULD NEVER be allowed to happen but at our club it’s acceptable.

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
I have always assumed and said that BA has a major say in recuitment and I also highly suspect that the relationship with Mark O’Neill is dysfunctional. I also reckon they are the only two that actually have a say in relation to the attributes of the player. The others just tick and flick.

I have also said that I’d sack O’Neill before BA because someone calling major shots about our club who is a life member of another SHOULD NEVER be allowed to happen but at our club it’s acceptable.
Personally I dont think the life membership thing is an issue. MON's life membership was for playing, not administration and there are heaps of examples where professionals in all walks of life move to the competition and don't think twice about their past employer. If there was any hint that MON wasn't doing his best because he was a life member of the team he played for years ago, he would have been flicked for sure. However, I do agree and have always figured there is some tension between BA and MON although I dont think the relationship is totally dysfunctional - I think they have worked out how to make it work.

Avenger

Immortal
Personally I dont think the life membership thing is an issue. MON's life membership was for playing, not administration and there are heaps of examples where professionals in all walks of life move to the competition and don't think twice about their past employer. If there was any hint that MON wasn't doing his best because he was a life member of the team he played for years ago, he would have been flicked for sure. However, I do agree and have always figured there is some tension between BA and MON although I dont think the relationship is totally dysfunctional - I think they have worked out how to make it work.
But it hasn’t really worked. That’s my point.

Latest posts