What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
They have signed players who work hard. This is why coaching isn't the silver bullet. These merkins need to be determined and disciplined at their core, or the work they are forced to do at training will be wasted somewhat. Work ethic is part of who we are, just like natural size, strength, speed and skill. It can be improved but only to a point. This is why big/fast/fit/skillful merkins who get arrested or banned keep getting second chances. The Dogs sacked a bunch of merkins and brought new ones in because turds can only be polished so much.

What you have to remember is the NRL pull strings. They want Dogs strong.
Start of year most tipped Manly,Storm,Panthers,Brisbane,Sharks,South,Roosters to be in the 8.
Dogs only had Roosters and Sharks twice of that 7.
It turns out Brisbane (if fit still a top 4 side) and Souths where weak and the Dolphins are in the 8 who they played also once. So of the current top 8 sides they've had to face Sharks and Roosters twice.

We got Penrith,Brisbane,Souths,Manly, Sharks,Roosters, Storm all twice. Along with the Dogs I guess.
As the ladder stands today we played the top 6 sides twice. And only Dolphins and Cowboys once. I'd much rather them then Brisbane x 2.

The NRL draw lacks integrity. It's why I feel 3 of the top 4 sides deserve it and 1 of them generaly had an easy draw . The 5th ranked side usually always deserves its place in the finals but Sides 6th -14th I don't think differ a whole lot in quality. Just easier draws, luck during games, injuries, Suspensions.
That's why sides can bounce back to top 8 so quickly or drop out.
It's the bottom 3 that generally take a while unless in our case you had a wicked draw, shit house coach , origin effected and bad injuries.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I often wondered what you'd post about after BA left the club. I needn't have worried.

Meme Think GIF

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This Isaiah kid played 50 NSW Cup matches before he got a chance at FG at age 21.

Based on this, I observe:

1. The Eels seem apprehensive to play kids from Ball and Flegg in open age footy. You only have to look at our garbage Cup backs in particular.
2. Merkins in here would be shitting their livers if a kid like this was not played in NRL after just a dozen games.

So we need to be brave enough to play them up, but then have patience before they play NRL.

View attachment 92602
One of TCT interviews with Joey G, there was a discussion on juniors playing flegg/cup....it's not the players ability to play those grades, but the week to week preparation/physicality of those comps. It takes a lot from the players.

Penrith are obviously 10 years in front of us...we are just working on a system that suits us doing just that. Probably best demonstrated by how many players we have had play cup this year for a game or 2 but then drop back down to flegg.,,

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Watching Dogs press conference when Ciraldo was asked if he realised they’ve had 7 or 8 2nd half’s keeping teams scoreless it gave me hope. He claimed they are potentially the fittest NRL team and off season work pays off.
I can’t help but hope Ryles is exactly as hard nosed and we can enjoy the same level of competitive nature.
Dogs likely top 4, what a Turnaround around considering they had 10 new players this year.
Look at their forwards from yesterday, it's not that they are the fittest, it's that they only had 2 forwards that were 110 kg plus (we had 5 or so on Friday), and one was an edge, so he gets to rest. Most of their pack are around 100 kg, it's light, no wonder they are fitter...more mobile

BTW it's good coaching / planning by Gus/cc to get that pack

JokerEel

Coach
Look at their forwards from yesterday, it's not that they are the fittest, it's that they only had 2 forwards that were 110 kg plus (we had 5 or so on Friday), and one was an edge, so he gets to rest. Most of their pack are around 100 kg, it's light, no wonder they are fitter...more mobile

They have made Curran and Hughes into the form front rowers of the competition ffs they are plodders any where else...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
They have made Curran and Hughes into the form front rowers of the competition ffs they are plodders any where else...
TBF, both were very highly rated juniors. Probably close to the best in their age group.,But just needed time/experience to develop.

hindy111

Post Whore

Along with a soft draw,limited injuries they manage possession better then any side. If that turns I'm unsure how their pack goes.
Storms.pack is still reasonably big

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Kikau was the biggest forward at Penrith too. Leniu was next biggest but played limited minutes. The rest of them were lightweights.