What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think he can. He does most things as good as Nathan. The difference is Natahns temperament. He always remains calm. The other is timing. Nathan has big moments when it's needed and done this time and again to win games.
Moses needs a coach to help him with that. Gain some patience and remain calm. Don't push things to much.

I'll go on record now (remember - I, alongside you, were one of the few people to call out in early 2024 that the Panthers would won their 4th straight title in 2024) - he won't win a title at Parramatta.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He’s better than many halves who have won comps.

all about the quality of the team around the half, and the tactical nouse of the coaching team in preparing the team.

I think he's a great player, but his temperament can let him down.

He could win a comp before he retires - but I don't think it would be at the Eels....

Eelementary

Post Whore
Gutho contract stuff, isn't anything usual. Basically we won't offer a new contract until we see how he goes in his new role:

"The Eels retierated their desire to use Gutherson in a utility/roaming role next year and because of the uncertainty around how it would work, were unable to make him an offer."

it's a fair position, even for a club champion like Gutho.

He is 32 in 2026, any contract from then on for him is potentially a risk for any club. So you want to get a fair idea, how is playing before negotiating....

but the media, will turn it into an eels bashing exercise.....

I'm sad he may not be an Eel post-2025, but super impressed that our rookie coach has had the fortitude to make such a tough call.

I trust Ryles.

Avenger

Immortal
Actually, you can’t doubt the reach of rugby league in NZ, my son in law is a Kiwi from a town 2 hours from Christchurch. For years the All Blacks was the only game in town. Last year, 6 of his schoolmates flew to Sydney for the Warriors game agst Parra and confessed they now watch league over union. We’re talking about blokes in their 50s doing that and that’s how much the tables have turned.

League doesn’t have the foothold on the South Island that it does around Auckland, but it sells out when the Warriors play in Christchurch now, and when they played a trial in Greymouth too. Could be an interesting next few years if the Warriors continue their uptick.
From my experience Kiwis are great people. Loyal as anything and the ones that follow league are particularly my kind of people.

Stevie

Bench
I don't have any real problem in moving on Gutho in 2026 - I think we would be crazy not to!

As for next year, I would think St George or whomever would want to eat a significant majority of his salary because we have no urgent need to get rid of him as far as I'm aware....and if we do release him for next year, it can only be to secure a readily available star on a 3-year deal.

Actually, when I say star there are caveats where I would also accept a player who is destined for stardom and top of my wish list is Wishart, as I think he makes our team a different entity altogether....
Where would you play him out of interest. At 9?

Avenger

Immortal
This feels like déjà vu with Gutherson and his management. There's no doubt he's one of our all-time greats, but he repeatedly lets his agent drag things out in the media, and it’s honestly lacking in class. Meanwhile, over at a well-managed club, a former Clive Churchill Medal winner is negotiating with the Storm quietly and without all the media drama.

The downside for Gutherson and his slimy agent is that we now have the upper hand.

I wouldn’t consider an extension or any negotiations until mid-next year, but he’ll likely push for it now, and a desperate club will snap him up. With the possibility of him losing the captaincy, I doubt he’ll even start preseason training with us. By 2025, he’ll be gone. Thanks for the memories, Gutherson, and good luck.

Stevie

Bench
This feels like déjà vu with Gutherson and his management. There's no doubt he's one of our all-time greats, but he repeatedly lets his agent drag things out in the media, and it’s honestly lacking in class. Meanwhile, over at a well-managed club, a former Clive Churchill Medal winner is negotiating with the Storm quietly and without all the media drama.

The downside for Gutherson and his slimy agent is that we now have the upper hand.

I wouldn’t consider an extension or any negotiations until mid-next year, but he’ll likely push for it now, and a desperate club will snap him up. With the possibility of him losing the captaincy, I doubt he’ll even start preseason training with us. By 2025, he’ll be gone. Thanks for the memories, Gutherson, and good luck.
All good points.

Lastly, from what I heard about Ryles last week I would not be surprised if he’s drawn a line in the sand following some engagement or carry on from Gutho.

Gutho like RCG is a fully fledged member of the BA best buddies brigade and honestly, Gutho can come across very smug at times with BA and media etc.

Ryles is 100% club first and culture culture culture so if Gutho has shown any sort of carry on, I applaud the direct nature of Ryles, dealing with a club legend or not.

Latest posts