What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What does clubs paying players via TPA's have to do with what Im saying?
To illustrate that not all TPAs are equal, or have the same purpose. Some are paid by companies wanting to associate their brand with a player. Others are paid by (whoever) to help one club reduce their costs under the salary cap, therefore gaining an advantage over other clubs.

Avenger

Immortal
You know you totally overlooked the rest of my post, because whilst I mentioned Townsville, I also referred to August in Darwin.

Why don't we play in the peak of the winter, in the middle of the dry? July / August is low 20's 60% humidity at night.
I did too. Apologies.

Tiger5150

Bench
Why would you think that is my argument?
Because it is the only thing besides abject stupidity or malignant trollery that would explain why you have replied to every post I have made on this topic since making it VERY clear from my first post on the topic that i am talking about TPAs that have absolutely nothing to do with the club.

Three options, which is it?

Avenger

Immortal
Townsville does actually get cold in winter.
I have a mate who lives not as far north but in Hervey bay and he said the same thing. Darwin however is always f**king hot. It's a merkin of an area.

Wolf-Creek-2_John-Jarratt-as-Mick-Taylor_profile-2.jpg

Tiger5150

Bench
To illustrate that not all TPAs are equal, or have the same purpose. Some are paid by companies wanting to associate their brand with a player. Others are paid by (whoever) to help one club reduce their costs under the salary cap, therefore gaining an advantage over other clubs.

So when you said ...."They don't stop any player from signing any contracts. What they do is make it count under the salary cap that clubs agreed to, under threat of playing for no competition points."....in response to the Craig Wings TPA which was not organised by the club and was paid by a company wanting to associate their brand with him....you meant?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because it is the only thing besides abject stupidity or malignant trollery that would explain why you have replied to every post I have made on this topic since making it VERY clear from my first post on the topic that i am talking about TPAs that have absolutely nothing to do with the club.

Three options, which is it?
Are any of us talking about legitimate TPAs? We are discussing how difficult it can be for the NRL to determine what is legitimate and what isn't. This is why whistleblowers like Waldron and Seward were required for the NRL to make their big busts. Incidentally, all after the Craig Wing fiasco as well, which you seem to think was the last big issue around TPAs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
cold ? no

cooler yes, but the big difference between Townsville and Darwin is the humidity
I lived in Townsville. It gets cold (below 10 degrees), and yes it's also far less humid in winter. I've never lived in Darwin but I've been there plenty of times in plenty of different months and it was always hot and humid.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So when you said ...."They don't stop any player from signing any contracts. What they do is make it count under the salary cap that clubs agreed to, under threat of playing for no competition points."....in response to the Craig Wings TPA which was not organised by the club and was paid by a company wanting to associate their brand with him....you meant?
I wasn't talking about Craig Wing. I don't think his situation applies in 2024 other than being an example of why the NRL recognises the existence of legitimate TPAs. I don't think the Wing fiasco would reoccur these days.

84 Baby

Referee
Why? Did it rhyme with "Restraint of slade"?
I think you are intentionally being dumb. No one is f**ken arguing that situation wasn’t a restraint of trade. But it’s isolated to Wing unless you want to suggest the same circumstances exist today.
It wasnt asked to because it would be a restraint of trade.
It wasn’t asked to because arguing a restraint of trade for a general group of people is very difficult. Really needs to be for specific people.
You have said this a couple of times like it’s a real thing. What position? Point me to where the CBA mentions including TPA's completely separate to the club within the salary cap.
FMD the CBA states it acknowledges the need for the salary cap. This means the players accept the fact the salary cap has rules that could restrain how much they get paid. Under your idiotic scenario, why bother with Nike? Why can’t Penrith just pay Chinry $6m straight up? With your reasoning the NRL not laying penalty to Penrith is a restraint of trade. Your mob should just do it.
What the hell are you talking about. My example is very clear in that the hypothetical has nothing to do with the club. Seriously, what are you going on about?

Clearly

Glad we finally got there....you are welcome.
Ok cool we agree that if a payment has zero to do with the club it’s cool. But I highly doubt that was the original f**king point.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It wasn't. We were talking about how TPAs can be abused to benefit one club over others rather than benefitting players because they have a right to earn money outside of their playing contract.

Tiger5150

Bench
I wasn't talking about Craig Wing. I don't think his situation applies in 2024 other than being an example of why the NRL recognises the existence of legitimate TPAs. I don't think the Wing fiasco would reoccur these days.
The Craig Wing "fiasco" happens multiple times every year. It is exactly what a legitimate TPA looks like which is the whole point. It took Craig Wings "fiasco" to establish the concept of a "legitimate" TPA that is excluded from the cap.

Many in the game have stated that the salary cap was not originally meant to be for spreading the talent, and that the draft was the main driver in doing this, but since the draft was ruled illegal then they tinkered as much as possible to create as much an affect as possible in doing it, but as we can all see it doesn't work all that well.

Even Phil Gould has spoken about this numerous times and on this subject I will go with his assessment over yours or any other ill informed fan.

What on earth has that got to do with my post? I didn't say anything about whether the cap is effective in meeting that purpose, nor did I say anything about the 'original' purpose of the cap. I simply quoted the NRLs current explanation of why the cap exists today. Which part of Phil's assessment is inconsistent with what I said?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Craig Wing "fiasco" happens multiple times every year.
If it happened multiple times a year why are you quoting that incident from over 20 years ago? When has it happened since?
It is exactly what a legitimate TPA looks like which is the whole point. It took Craig Wings "fiasco" to establish the concept of a "legitimate" TPA that is excluded from the cap.
Now you're just repeating what I said, but arguing against me as though I said the opposite. Are you deliberately trying to misrepresent me to win points?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Will you stfu when I do?

View attachment 95594
My point was about it not being a restraint of trade. The NRL doesn't have any power to prevent players earning money. It just prevents clubs from accruing competition points if they are spending too much on players, including where they try to circumvent the cap through TPAs. We've seen this with the Storm (2010) and Eels (2016) fiascos that occurred well after the Craig Wing fiasco of 2003.

Latest posts