What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Vic Mackey

Referee
2 down - Tamou a confirmed departure.
Tuilangi, Garner & Madden we all knew about.

A new signing, is that new?
21-year-old prop Sione Fainu from Manly.

We signed Fainu mid season from manly, he’s been playing Flegg. From what I’ve seen he’s pretty shit so will fit right in.

edit, i just had a look and seems like Manly fans rated him at the start of the year:

Last edited:

glockers

Juniors
What is our cap room next year and the following year roughly?

I'd throw close to 2.3 or even 2.4 million per year for Tom and Jake. We must have plenty of room in 2024. I thought we still have a large amount room for next season too. Happy to swap then back a bunch of players.

Fordy20

Juniors

I'd throw close to 2.3 or even 2.4 million per year for Tom and Jake. We must have plenty of room in 2024. I thought we still have a large amount room for next season too. Happy to swap then back a bunch of players.
We’d have to sign Des to make it happen. I’d much prefer Des in charge than Sheens or Benji

BrotherJim05

Bench

Turbo brothers is a complete pipe dream, but if Brooks moved on then we would easily have the money for it. If they didn't want to move too far from beaches then training at Concord would be more attractive than other Sydney clubs.

No chance they are leaving though. More likely to see coaches/staff sacked then letting them go

Wizardman

First Grade
Turbo brothers is a complete pipe dream, but if Brooks moved on then we would easily have the money for it. If they didn't want to move too far from beaches then training at Concord would be more attractive than other Sydney clubs.

No chance they are leaving though. More likely to see coaches/staff sacked then letting them go
Plus, Im not a fan of Jake's pricetag nor his "attack". Prob the best defender in the comp and seems like a good team man though.

Wizardman

First Grade
Despite the brothers being overs, I'd probably take them. Two bloke that would set a very positive tone for the club if they CHOSE to come here.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Apparently we have signed some Pommy backrowers. Since Chris Mcqueen just made the team of the year over there id be dubious about their quality.
I’d deadset forgotten about Macqueen probably coz as is std at concord he massively under delivered.I hope ur jesting re making team of yr although I’m sure u are not as it just reinforces what a Mickey Mouse comp the super hoax is.Hence I’m so looking forward to more timid clones of Gildart being signed by knuckle

axl rose

Bench
I’d deadset forgotten about Macqueen probably coz as is std at concord he massively under delivered.I hope ur jesting re making team of yr although I’m sure u are not as it just reinforces what a Mickey Mouse comp the super hoax is.Hence I’m so looking forward to more timid clones of Gildart being signed by knuckle
Not kidding, he did make it. Didn't he have a broken neck when we signed him.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Super League backrowers worth a look at:

Morgan Knowles
Joe Batchelor
James Bentley
Mike McMeekan
Ben Currie
Jack Hughes
Morgan Smithies
John Bateman

I dont even know how most of these would go in the NRL, they all seem to match up well against Bateman and he managed to transfer over here ok. There may be better younger options over there but I dont follow it close enough to know who the best up and commers are.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Morgan Knowles
Joe Batchelor
James Bentley
Mike McMeekan
Ben Currie
Jack Hughes
Morgan Smithies
John Bateman

I dont even know how most of these would go in the NRL, they all seem to match up well against Bateman and he managed to transfer over here ok. There may be better younger options over there but I dont follow it close enough to know who the best up and commers are.
It’d b great if one of them was a Gareth Ellis clone & we lured him to concord.Imo GE was the most consistent top-shelf player to have played for the Concord train wreck

Pomoz

Bench
There is some hope for you WT fans. As a Panthers tragic who has had the displeasure of watching wooden spoons, overpaid has beens (hi Sparkles), terrible board decisions (Corey Payne 32 year old CEO, no experience but he did play footy) and awful coaches (hi Matty Elliot, love your new book by the way), I can relate to what you are going through.

Our chairman started the path to where we are now when he approached Gus to become GM football. The Gus playbook started the revolution. It went something like this:

1. Get rid of the coach. Find a coach who develop young players. You have done this but replaced him with Tim and he has been given a fixed tenure. The clock is ticking before a completely inexperienced coach with no track record in coaching takes over. Hmmm.

2. Get rid of the over paid players and get the cap under control. Out went Grant, Coote, Civonoceva. It wasn’t their fault their contracts were two high but our chairman admitted we had 60% of our salary cap tied up with five players. This step hurt. Grant and Coote were good players and didn’t deserve to be moved but it needed to be done. You still haven’t done this fully yet. Brooks is a huge hole in your cap, but I think you have plenty of cap money available. Job done.

3. Get rid of those who aren’t buying into the new programme under the new Coach. Out went Lewis, Jennings and Civoneva probably falls under this heading as well and being overpaid sealed the deal. Have you done this yet? Hard to tell, the new coach hasn’t started yet.

4. Build a Centre of Excellence. You have done this and your board deserves praise for this. Good job.

5. Fill your roster with quality professional journeyman to hold the fort until the juniors mature. I heard Gus talk about this step on a podcast where he said he purposely hired journeyman like Ciraldo and Clint Newton (I am sure they were thrilled to be referred to thus) who were noted in their professionalism and attitude. He said “I told them they were in for spell down the mines and it will be hard work”. They would teach the youngsters how to behave, train and what it takes to be an NRL player. Were they dazzling? No. Were they leaders that showed the way? Yes.

The way you finished the season speaks volumes to your need to get hard headed journeyman in your club to change the attitudes and behavior of your young players. The Panthers were also flogged in round 25. Witness the attitude of that team of mainly NSW cup players, versus the WT players. I am not bragging, I am merely pointing out you have a massive attitude problem in your team. You need to take this step.

6. Get experienced halves to guide the team around. We were rejected by Thurston and Carney and in the end only got Soward and Peter Wallace. Cleary learned his trade under these two. Mahoney was added later and was Cleary’s final on-field mentor. Brooks is no rookie, can he play a leadership role? Ben Hunt would be perfect for you in that role as a mentor. He is a better player than Wallace or Soward and still has plenty of years left in him. Douehi could learn a lot from him if the Dragons are stupid enough to let Hunt go. You have secured Api, so that is a great first step.

7. Sprinkle a few stars in to keep the pot boiling. Gus managed to secure Trent Merrin and James Tamou to help improve the team. Api was part of the team twice, but wasn’t a star when we signed him, so I wouldn’t include him in this. Gus always tried to get players with the right attitude, show pony’s need not apply. You have got two in Papali and Api, you are on your way.

8. Get your development pathways working so your players come from within. We had this so wrong for so long it’s embarrassing. In 2011 before Gus started we had a spine of Burns, Walsh, Kingston and Coote. Only one Panther junior. What the club was doing signing these players with its massive junior nursery is anybody’s guess. We couldn’t develop players for sh*t. I hated those years and found my connection with the team weakening because it was full of third rate signings from other clubs. Gus rebuilt the pathways from the ground up and this is his greatest legacy for our team. I am not sure you have done this right yet. If there is one thing I know from years of superstar juniors amounting to nothing at the Panthers, turning a junior into a first grader is a difficult process that requires planning and investment, it won’t happen by winning Jersey Flegg for a few years. Talent is not enough.

In 2022, we finished 1,2,3,4,3 in all the grades down to Harold Matthew’s. This is what Tim should have focused on, not being the bloody coach. Flanagan could easily fill that role for you so Tim could focus on building your pathways. I hope this decision doesn’t derail that work.

9. Get your fitness and training team to include sports scientists and qualified coaches, not ex-players with a magic sponge. We were riddled with injuries and quite poor in this area until we changed our approach to this. You have a COE and Benji is hiring new managers to lead this area, you may have this one covered, time will tell.

Just so we are clear, I am not saying Gus had all the answers, he made some terrible decisions but his ledger was balanced nicely with the good outweighing the bad. You should be optimistic that you club has made a number of positive changes and have two great players starting next year. The only downside is the coaching. Hiring a complete rookie is a massive, unnecessary risk no matter how good a player Benji was.

Apologies for the length of the post.

Last edited:

Trollhammaren

Juniors
There is some hope for you WT fans. As a Panthers tragic who has had the displeasure of watching wooden spoons, overpaid has beens (hi Sparkles), terrible board decisions (Corey Payne 32 year old CEO, no experience but he did play footy) and awful coaches (hi Matty Elliot, love your new book by the way), I can relate to what you are going through.

Our chairman started the path to where we are now when he approached Gus to become GM football. The Gus playbook started the revolution. It went something like this:

1. Get rid of the coach. Find a coach who develop young players. You have done this but replaced him with Tim and he has been given a fixed tenure. The clock is ticking before a completely inexperienced coach with no track record in coaching takes over. Hmmm.

2. Get rid of the over paid players and get the cap under control. Out went Grant, Coote, Civonoceva. It wasn’t their fault their contracts were two high but our chairman admitted we had 60% of our salary cap tied up with five players. This step hurt. Grant and Coote were good players and didn’t deserve to be moved but it needed to be done. You still haven’t done this fully yet. Brooks is a huge hole in your cap, but I think you have plenty of cap money available. Job done.

3. Get rid of those who aren’t buying into the new programme under the new Coach. Out went Lewis, Jennings and Civoneva probably falls under this heading as well and being overpaid sealed the deal. Have you done this yet? Hard to tell, the new coach hasn’t started yet.

4. Build a Centre of Excellence. You have done this and your board deserves praise for this. Good job.

5. Fill your roster with quality professional journeyman to hold the fort until the juniors mature. I heard Gus talk about this step on a podcast where he said he purposely hired journeyman like Ciraldo and Clint Newton (I am sure they were thrilled to be referred to thus) who were noted in their professionalism and attitude. He said “I told them they were in for spell down the mines and it will be hard work”. They would teach the youngsters how to behave, train and what it takes to be an NRL player. Where they dazzling? No. Where they leaders that showed the way? Yes.

The way you finished the season speaks volumes to your need to get hard headed journeyman in your club to change the attitudes and behavior of your young players. The Panthers were also flogged in round 25. Witness the attitude of that team of mainly NSW cup players, versus the WT players. I am not bragging, I am merely pointing out you have a massive attitude problem in your team. You need to take this step.

6. Get experienced halves to guide the team around. We were rejected by Thurston and Carney and in the end only got Soward and Peter Wallace. Cleary learned his trade under these two. Mahoney was added later and was Cleary’s final on-field mentor. Brooks is no rookie, can he play a leadership role? Ben Hunt would be perfect for you in that role as a mentor. He is a better player than Wallace or Soward and still has plenty of years left in him. Douehi could learn a lot from him if the Dragons are stupid enough to let Hunt go. You have secured Api, so that is a great first step.

7. Sprinkle a few stars in to keep the pot boiling. Gus managed to secure Trent Merrin and James Tamou to help improve the team. Api was part of the team twice, but wasn’t a star when we signed him, so I wouldn’t include him in this. Gus always tried to get players with the right attitude, show pony’s need not apply. You have got two in Papali and Api, you are on your way.

8. Get your development pathways working so your players come from within. We had this so wrong for so long it’s embarrassing. In 2011 before Gus started we had a spine of Burns, Walsh, Kingston and Coote. Only one Panther junior. What the club was doing signing these players with its massive junior nursery is anybody’s guess. We couldn’t develop players for sh*t. I hated those years and found my connection with the team weakening because it was full of third rate signings from other clubs. Gus rebuilt the pathways from the ground up and this is his greatest legacy for our team. I am not sure you have done this right yet. If there is one thing I know from years of superstar juniors amounting to nothing at the Panthers, turning a junior into a first grader is a difficult process that requires planning and investment, it won’t happen by winning Jersey Flegg for a few years. Talent is not enough.

In 2022, we finished 1,2,3,4,3 in all the grades down to Harold Matthew’s. This is what Tim should have focused on, not being the bloody coach. Flanagan could easily fill that role for you so Tim could focus on building your pathways. I hope this decision doesn’t derail that work.

9. Get your fitness and training team to include sports scientists and qualified coaches, not ex-players with a magic sponge. We were riddled with injuries and quite poor in this area until we changed our approach to this. You have a COE and Beni is hiring new managers to lead this area, you may have this one covered, time will tell.

Just so we are clear, I am not saying Gus had all the answers, he made some terrible decisions but his ledger was balanced nicely with the good outweighing the bad. You should be optimistic that you club has made a number of positive changes and have two great players starting next year. The only downside is the coaching. Hiring a complete rookie is a massive, unnecessary risk no matter how good a player Benji was.

Apologies for the length of the post.

Mate, you wanna be our CEO!? A much better blueprint than any muppet in our front office could produce.

Morgan Knowles
Joe Batchelor
James Bentley
Mike McMeekan
Ben Currie
Jack Hughes
Morgan Smithies
John Bateman

The Sun (UK) put their own team out and kindly listed the players in contention for each position.
1. Jai Field (Sam Tomkins, Jack Welsby, Tui Lolohea)
2. Bevan French (Tommy Makinson, Fouad Yaha, Ryan Hall)
3. Ricky Leutele (Konrad Hurrell, Deon Cross, Samisoni Langi)
4. Tim Lafai (Jake Bibby, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Leroy Cudjoe)
5. Ken Sio (Ash Handley, Lewis Murphy, Liam Marshall)
6. Jonny Lomax (Oliver Russell, Mitchell Pearce, Cade Cust) Jack Welsby
7. Brodie Croft (Marc Sneyd, George Williams, Josh Drinkwater)
8. Alex Walmsley (Agnatius Paasi, Chris Satae, David Fifita)
9. James Roby (Andy Ackers, Danny Levi, Brad Dwyer)
10. Mikolaj Oledzki (Matt Prior, Alex Gerrard, Ligi Sao)
11. Liam Farrell (John Bateman, Joe Batchelor, Kallum Watkins)
12. Chris McQueen (Matty Ashurst, Ben Garcia, Rhyse Martin)
13. Joe Westerman (Morgan Knowles, Luke Yates, Elijah Taylor)