What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

TheFrog

Coach
either Gould has resigned himself to the fate that if Nathan wants to play under Ivan he will and there's no point sulking about it, or he knows that Penrith are on the cusp of some silverware and Nathan will want to be a part of it.
The first part is no doubt correct. But there's the risk Nathan could arrive in 2020 and find Ivan moving on shortly after. The other perhaps is that Penrith have a second to none chance this year and next but its impossible to know who will win. The third factor is that Nathan is going to go very close to being the highest paid player in the NRL, and there comes a point where the number of quality players we (or anyone else) need to lose to have him would make retaining him unattractive. What needs to be borne in mind is that Penrith got into second place without Nathan, largely on the back of the forwards. If we have to lose several of them it will impact heavily on depth. It's a juggling act, no risk about it. Having Nathan Cleary won't help any club if they have to have a second rate forward pack to get under the cap.

Tiger05

First Grade
The first part is no doubt correct. But there's the risk Nathan could arrive in 2020 and find Ivan moving on shortly after. The other perhaps is that Penrith have a second to none chance this year and next but its impossible to know who will win. The third factor is that Nathan is going to go very close to being the highest paid player in the NRL, and there comes a point where the number of quality players we (or anyone else) need to lose to have him would make retaining him unattractive. What needs to be borne in mind is that Penrith got into second place without Nathan, largely on the back of the forwards. If we have to lose several of them it will impact heavily on depth. It's a juggling act, no risk about it. Having Nathan Cleary won't help any club if they have to have a second rate forward pack to get under the cap.

This is all 100% correct. Nathan looks like a really good player but he is only good value up to a certain point.

Cannot disagree with any of that.

From Sunday Telecrap.
WESTS Tigers coach Ivan Cleary says it is up to Moses Mbye if he wanted to join the club immediately with Cleary also failing to rule out getting ex skipper Aaron Woods back to the club.

Cleary said the Tigers had room in their salary cap to sign Mbye immediately if the 24-year-old wanted out.
"We can accommommodate it," Cleary told ABC Grandstand yesterday.

it is thought Woods hopes to make a return to the club he captained last year.

Cronulla are the frontrunners to sign the Test prop despite interest from the Eels.

"I don't know the story there," Cleary said. "I thought Aaron did a really good job for us once he made the decision to leave the club and go to the Dogs last year.

And the SMH
Wests Tigers would also welcome back their beloved junior, but again at the right price.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sharks-circle-woods-for-mid-season-switch-20180602-p4zj21.html

Interesting times ahead at Tiger town but I'd prefer to see Farah sign for the rest of the year only and retire as a Tiger then to see Woods back,.

Shredder

Juniors
I still see Hooker and fullback as our biggest problems.

This is different to prior years where our problems we pretty much across the entire park.

Ivan has obviously spotten fullback as an issue, which is good.

Having Robbie back isnt as stupid as it sounds. And I get the love for Liddle, but if the chap cant play a full season, or even 80 mins, whats the point? Im starting to believe hes going to be another of the hundreds with potential that was never fulfilled.

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon Liddle potentially looks fantastic but he isn't an 80 minute hooker or even likely to play in the majority of games throughout the season. He looks like he needs time learning his trade and getting his body able to handle NRL.

You got to stick with him over the next couple of seasons but we need another option there.

Same as fullback. I really rate Tui but honestly he has been fairly average this season.

I hate to say this as well but ET is a concern in the team as well. He doesn't offer much at all offensively and there have been games where his defence hasn't been great.

We also need a right edge backrower and Lawrence can't have too many more quality seasons in him.

So fix hooker, edge back rowers and fullback plus ideally add some class like Nathan Cleary to the team. Completing all of this without the Rorters salary sombrero is going to be tough.

Tigerm

First Grade
I reckon Liddle potentially looks fantastic but he isn't an 80 minute hooker or even likely to play in the majority of games throughout the season. He looks like he needs time learning his trade and getting his body able to handle NRL.

You got to stick with him over the next couple of seasons but we need another option there.

Same as fullback. I really rate Tui but honestly he has been fairly average this season.

I hate to say this as well but ET is a concern in the team as well. He doesn't offer much at all offensively and there have been games where his defence hasn't been great.

We also need a right edge backrower and Lawrence can't have too many more quality seasons in him.

So fix hooker, edge back rowers and fullback plus ideally add some class like Nathan Cleary to the team. Completing all of this without the Rorters salary sombrero is going to be tough.
Chris is only 29, he may not have hit his peak yet?

Tiger05

First Grade
Chris is only 29, he may not have hit his peak yet?

I think he is playing great at the moment. I've always thought he was okay as well. Same as Brooks. In a decent team with a better coach they have both gone to new levels. I wonder if it was the team or the coach or them or a bit of everything.

At 29 he might have another couple of quality years left in him but I hope he doesn't push it too far.

magpie_man

Juniors
The vicissitudes of professional football can be humbling - Farah has gone from a State of Origin mainstay to a North Sydney Bears ISP Cup mainstay. Like Benji, I think he'd be better for the harsh reality check in the attitudinal sense.
History is the past; I'd love to have him back and it's not like we don't desperately need an 80 minute dummy-half.

Tigerm

First Grade
Fox sport is reporting that Woods going to Cronulla, maybe by next week. Wish we could get Mybe by next week.
I would take Farrah back asap, Liddle is just not up to it yet. Though I always thought MM was a reasonable player, obviously those who matter don't. DM is going to cost us dearly this year, if it doesn't get fixed.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I would take Farrah back asap

May as well bring back Sheens as coaching director, bring Keithy out of retirement to come off the bench and have an old boys reunion.

Anyone know what Ben Duckworth and Kev McGuniess are up to these days? Might have to get them back as well

:rolleyes:

Clifferd

Coach
So um did today remind anyone that we need s hooker?

All of our current problems come from that position ffs. Just bite the bullet and sign Farah

Shredder

Juniors
Regardless, we have a massive problem with attack.

Our defence has been great this year, but even when we got on our good run out attack was shithouse.

It looks clunky and I suspect better service out of dummy half, if nothing else would help.

Having a back rower and a 5/8 cover 9 isnt ideal.

Liddle needs to sort himself out for the good of the team. Im over waiting on kids with promise. We have done that ever since day one. Perform or perish.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'm on the fence re Farah but I think it's a mute point, Souths won't release him now they've got Cook playing Origin

Tigerm

First Grade
From a Fox sport item this morning:

Canterbury: The drums are beating Moses Mbye will be allowed to leave before June 30.