What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Pilot house

Juniors
Wayne Bennett still Wests Tigers’ priority in coaching circus

BRENT READ

SENIOR SPORTS WRITER

Wayne Bennett’s Wikipedia page was hacked yesterday. According to an entry under his coaching record, Bennett is bound for the West Coast Sea Eagles next season.

Funny stuff, except the NRL coaching saga at the moment is no laughing matter, and Bennett is in the thick of it as he ponders his future. His next move is likely to be decided while he is overseas, adding another layer to the madness that has become the story of the post-season.

Bennett, who coached England to a big win over France last weekend, is preparing for a three-match Test series against a Michael Maguire-coached New Zealand

He left Australian shores with his future under a cloud but will return with it likely decided. The dominoes in the most dramatic coaching saga in the game’s recent history are set to play out in coming days.

Bennett has become a central figure in the commotion, his future prompting a host of rumours, some of which have quickly been dismissed by others involved in the theatrics. There was speculation yesterday that he had withdrawn from the race to coach Wests Tigers, although that was denied by club officials.

Bennett remains the Tigers’ preferred option to replace Ivan Cleary, despite reports yesterday that chief executive Justin Pascoe had flown to Auckland on his way to America — he takes club corporates on an annual junket to tour sporting facilities and watch sporting events — to hold talks with Maguire.

The club has already discussed terms with Bennett and it knows where it stands. Timing remains the greatest impediment to the seven-time premiership winner becoming the Tigers’ next coach, with Cleary likely to be shown the door in the next fortnight, freeing him to take a lucrative deal at Penrith and coach his son Nathan.

Bennett has given every indication he wants to finish his contract at the Broncos in 2019 and that may force the Tigers to turn to Maguire.

Whispers continue that Bennett also has his eyes on the South Sydney job should Anthony Seibold successfully interview for the Broncos position and decide he wants to move north in 2020.

Bennett has a close relationship with several Souths players, most notably the Burgess brothers through his involvement with the England team. He has knocked on Souths’ door twice before — once he rebuffed them, and then they rebuffed him.

A third dance appears unlikely, at least from the Rabbitohs’ end, given they have enjoyed success with a young coach over the past 12 months and earmarked David Furner to take over before he was lured to Leeds for 2019. Furner is, however, yet to leave Australia and remains in the picture. The focus could sharpen on him over the weekend before his departure, depending on the plans of Seibold and Brisbane.

The Broncos are still going through their interview process, although they are likely to finish talking to the final member of their four-man shortlist — Kevin Walters — on Monday. They will then be in position to make a call on their successor to Bennett. By then, Manly may have unveiled Des Hasler, the most unlikely and unexpected appointment taking place first. The expectation is that the dominoes will fall rapidly after that.

The madness will lull but it will only be temporary. Once the coaches are in place, expect the players to become the focal point as rosters begin to be reshaped.

Amid the current and looming insanity, at least one thing is certain. Despite the wags on Wikipedia, you can be sure that Bennett won’t be at West Coast Sea Eagles next season.
Via the Australian.

Another outstanding contribution providing us valuable background.

Don’t forget that Bennett was almost the Rabbitoh coach before he was lost and Maguire was snapped up.

I think Bennett is a good solution for the Rabbitohs as it is a perceived upgrade and he would be one of only a handful of coaches able to jig up a side of ailing superstars facing an otherwise so so 2019.

My Madge >>tiger tip-off looks to be on the money....it would be a surprise in the fog of nrl predictions where success is elusive!

Thanks for the post wt2k. Whoah!

Front-Rower

First Grade
Cleary insisted on with a leading league journo who doesn’t work for the filthy Murdoch press at the time RF had agreed to return to WT & b4 the club announced the signing

If this is correct, thank Ted for confirming my theory all along. Cheers

WT2K

Juniors
If they aren't already, things could get ugly in the split between Ivan Cleary and the Wests Tigers.

While nothing is official, reports suggest Cleary has signed-on to coach the Panthers once his contract at the Wests Tigers comes to an end in 2020.

However, the Tigers are willing to let Cleary as soon as they find a suitable replacement with the club chasing Wayne Bennett and Michael Maguire to takeover.

Interestingly, some Wests Tigers players are starting to lose respect for Cleary over the whole saga.

NRL.com reporter Michael Chammas joined Triple M's The Rush Hour with MG to discuss this issue: can listen to the chat below.

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...oubt-surrounding-ivan-clearys-coaching-future

Pilot house

Juniors
Thanks guys.

Chammas didn’t miss him did he?!

The player revolt is fair enough. He will at least lose the respect of the senior players who bleed for the club.

There’s a solid old guard of influential players at wt and they are looking for jobs and influence at the club when they retire. They are retiring soon.

This is their opportunity to earn more respect by beating up on ivan (figuratively) as they know the fans don’t like him.

They should send rumours out that they refuse to play under him- put his toes into the fire!

Now Gus’s days are over...

At another level, Chammas and the nrl are taking on Gus.

In the past he’s been lauded and accepted as some kind of people’s champion, but in 2018 I think he’s overstepped the mark and he’s now just starting out on a long decline.

Hes put his ideas and ambitions before a lot of other people and trod on a few too many toes.

People’s lives are adversely effected. Jobs and stuff will go.

Madge will most definitely bring in his people and wt folk supporting ivan now are in extreme danger as panther coaching underlings are pre selected. Ivan has really screwed his wt helpers over and they won’t be very pleased. They probably secretly despise him more than the players.That’s another reason why his job is untenable.

Back to gus, If the broader league public don’t trust him, his influence beyond Pantheria will wane.

A lot of people felt for Hook and the crap manner in which he was treated. I did and I’ve never met him.

So I think we will see this war gus v the world play out in the future.

Gus has always had a love/hate thing happening with the nrl. I know I get sick of him moaning on and on about the nrl. He should just shut up and volunteer to help them.

I mean I think he’s got the mental age of a 14 year old a lot of the time. This ivan and son thing supports that. It stinks badly. The whole project is catastrophic and a growing number of panther fans are querying the wisdom of eggs in only two baskets.

Just to finish off, Chammas thought the wt would make ivan see out his contract if Madge doesn’t come. I think it’s all done, but otherwise that is one hell of a personal punishment. I couldn’t support that really. Besides a lot of the damage is done.

I think he will breach his contract and walk anyway. I would understand him not wanting to be publically ridiculed and whispered about all the time.

Ivan will get that at Pantheria even if he’s winning!

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
Back to the coaching thing, what ever happens Cleary has to go. Okay I know the club has been reported to say that they are only interested in getting a so called upgrade on Cleary before they will grant him a release.

I think after what Cleary has done to the players, supporters, sponsors and the clubs brand name, makes anyone a upgrade.

A lot of people have big doubts on Madge after a so called player revolt at Redfern in his last year at Redfern. Souths had a few big ego players,ageing roster and some off field problems. This all resulted in some crappy performances. Anyway I am sure he has learnt a lot from the experience. Big call, but I would take him before uncle Wayne

Pilot house

Juniors
It’s never just a buy a new player and fortunes will improve.

Seibold was getting his players to simulate 100 minute games as closely as possible to combat fatigue in the last 15 minutes of a game. I’d say a lot of coaches would be copying that now as they study all this.

When rf was at Souths, he didn’t play badly, I think the other players didn’t get as involved as much when he was playing.

Players like Craig Gower, not a natural super man, slow as a turtle, but just clever with good hands. Proved you can work to become a kangaroo and that anything is possible.

Craig Gower had a passing game that would shame the miraculous Mick Morgan.

Of course Gowie had serious carney-like alcohol problems. But on his day, an immortal.

Last edited:

Pilot house

Juniors
Back to the coaching thing, what ever happens Cleary has to go. Okay I know the club has been reported to say that they are only interested in getting a so called upgrade on Cleary before they will grant him a release.

I think after what Cleary has done to the players, supporters, sponsors and the clubs brand name, makes anyone a upgrade.

A lot of people have big doubts on Madge after a so called player revolt at Redfern in his last year at Redfern. Souths had a few big ego players,ageing roster and some off field problems. This all resulted in some crappy performances. Anyway I am sure he has learnt a lot from the experience. Big call, but I would take him before uncle Wayne

There was all of that, it’s spot on. Madge’s game plan was to wear the opposition down with giant forwards and strike when they were tired. Very few bodies in motion or genuine threats, the attack was very boring and forgettable. The players lost interest, some of them wanted out.

They lost belief.

But at wt he just doesn’t have the same giant mobile forwards at his disposal, so I’d say he will be forced to develop an alternate game plan with a greater emphasis on halves and backs. He will need speed, handling an awareness, forwards will need to do the basics.

He won’t have any choice and besides, his method didn’t work and the game has changed.

Under the Madge project, 2019 would be a formative or transition year as he sits down to plan for the impending retirements and what he wants the squad to look like in 2021 etc.

I think the eels showed in 2017, you can have a largely forgettable and otherwise rancid forward pack and still do something with it.

The gift of the game is that you have a host of players in junior squads or who are under utilised always looking for a first grade opportunity. The next Damien Cook for example. Madge will Get his people working overtime to spot and develop young talent. I don’t think he will take the Newcastle route of aging marquees. Plus he has many uk contacts from his spell there.

Otherwise, at least defence will improve almost straight away.

2019 should be real building year, not a phantom 2018 version. You really want your coach to committ unless you are planning his exit.

He wasn’t celebrating anything in 2014 until Souths won the comp, a “job is not done” guy, shape up or ship out. He doesn’t care who he demotes etc.

Madge won’t just be on the bus, he will be driving it.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
There was all of that, it’s spot on. Madge’s game plan was to wear the opposition down with giant forwards and strike when they were tired. Very few bodies in motion or genuine threats, the attack was very boring and forgettable. The players lost interest, some of them wanted out.

They lost belief.

But at wt he just doesn’t have the same giant mobile forwards at his disposal, so I’d say he will be forced to develop an alternate game plan with a greater emphasis on halves and backs. He will need speed, handling an awareness, forwards will need to do the basics.

He won’t have any choice and besides, his method didn’t work and the game has changed.

Under the Madge project, 2019 would be a formative or transition year as he sits down to plan for the impending retirements and what he wants the squad to look like in 2021 etc.

I think the eels showed in 2017, you can have a largely forgettable and otherwise rancid forward pack and still do something with it.

The gift of the game is that you have a host of players in junior squads or who are under utilised always looking for a first grade opportunity. The next Damien Cook for example. Madge will Get his people working overtime to spot and develop young talent. I don’t think he will take the Newcastle route of aging marquees. Plus he has many uk contacts from his spell there.

Otherwise, at least defence will improve almost straight away.

2019 should be real building year, not a phantom 2018 version. You really want your coach to committ unless you are planning his exit.

He wasn’t celebrating anything in 2014 until Souths won the comp, a “job is not done” guy, shape up or ship out. He doesn’t care who he demotes etc.

Madge won’t just be on the bus, he will be driving it.

Good post and agree with the summation of Madge’s time at Souths. My concern is still that he showed in 15/16/17 he had no plan B when things went sour at the Bunnies. Then we saw what seibold did with the exact same squad.

I hope he he learnt because as you saw, he won’t be able to play the way he did at souths with the squad he has at Wests