What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

You could virtually get rid of any dud signing if this is allowed,interesting how Gus has an opinion on this subject,but we never heard boo from him when his club pinched the WT coach.

The whole inglis thing reeks of hypocrisy. We paid out Farah in full and got a $500k reduction in the cap. We signed him to role for the future. We were told this was illegal under the rules.

Souths are effectively getting a $1.5 mil reduction less whatever he is paid for the ambassador role. It's the same thing. His entire salary should be included in their cap until the end of 2020.

Yet another farce. f**k Greenburg

BrotherJim05

Bench
before we start shitting the bed over the Inglis/Farah business, the difference is that we didn't inform the NRL of the Farah deal, whereas the Bunnies obviously have.

Apparently the job is for $300k a year, so this would be taken off Bunnies salary cap for this year and next...drop in the bucket when compared to what he was on.

super_coach

First Grade
Just back from a ten year members function the club put on at Natwest stadium.

First thing the new stadium will blow you away. We were given a guided tour through the place and it’s brillant. Everyone for the two bob punter to the cooperate flyer will be happy with the new stadium.

Secondly the club should be congratulated, the function was first rate and we had a host of players talking on the stage and walking the floor. Brooks,Masters,Farah,Taylor,Lawrence, Matterson and more. All of them good kids and very humble.

Lawrence, injury has been slower than expected and he said he is only just back in the weights room. I say he would be about 80kg wringing wet. So I guess he is about 5 weeks away at best.

The vibe I got from the night was they are a very happy club at present

macnaz

Staff member
The whole inglis thing reeks of hypocrisy. We paid out Farah in full and got a $500k reduction in the cap. We signed him to role for the future. We were told this was illegal under the rules.

Souths are effectively getting a $1.5 mil reduction less whatever he is paid for the ambassador role. It's the same thing. His entire salary should be included in their cap until the end of 2020.

Explain what you mean by we got .5 million off the cap ?

macnaz

Staff member
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/7506ceadb0f1a2d2f78d40acf1275c47
South Sydney expose salary cap loophole in wake of Greg Inglis retirement
South Sydney have inadvertently exposed a potential salary cap loophole in the wake of Greg Inglis’ retirement.

On Monday, Inglis announced he’d be hanging up the boots immediately after an injury-dogged start to the 2019 season despite having 18 months left on his contract.

The value of the remainder of his contact is $1.5 million which Inglis will reportedly sacrifice so as not to disadvantage the Rabbitohs’ going forward.

Inglis will now move into roles with both the Rabbitohs and NRL which will involve coaching, mentorship, ambassadorships and community.

“He was only able to retire because Souths offered him a job, a good job, said to be $300,000 a season,” The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield told NRL 360 on Fox League.

“The NRL are talking about topping that up and why wouldn’t they? He’s a great ambassador. I don’t care that he’s getting that money.

“What I do think is a problem, though, and I’ll use Darius Boyd as an example. He’s on $2.4 million for the next three years. He’s not broken but he’s struggling and he’s carrying injuries.

“What’s to stop Anthony Seibold and Paul White going to him at the end of this season saying ‘Souths did this, we’re going to give you a job with NRMA, you’re going to service our sponsors, you’re going to help ‘Seibs’ coach.

“Can all clubs do this now?”

“This is unprecedented and whether it’s allowed to happen again concerns me,” Kent told the show.

“I certainly know there other clubs are sitting there going ‘how in the heck is this allowed?’

“No other player’s allowed to just get their contract taken off the cap because they suddenly can’t play any longer.”

Rothfield added: “If Cameron Smith gets busted later in the year. Do (the Storm) get his money in the cap next year?”

The same issue was raised on Channel 9’s 100% Footy.

Reporter Danny Weidler said other clubs would be paying close attention to Souths and the employment of Inglis.

“So what they’re going to try to do is, they’re going to put in a submission to the NRL and say: ‘This is out of our cap, we can spend it now because Greg Inglis has decided to walk away from that money,’ which is quite remarkable,” Weidler said.

“Greg Inglis will now get a job with Souths, either in community, or do a bit of coaching, and I think clubs will be really watching what he is paid under that amount.

“If he suddenly gets $800k for doing community work, they’re going to say ‘Hang on, that’s not quite right, that should go in the salary cap’. So it’s going to be watched closely by other clubs.”

“I think if he’s getting 200k then I think they’ll probably get away with that, but if he’s all of a sudden getting a huge amount I think another club would say ‘Well how does that work? We want to retire someone and then get space in our cap and pay our bloke 500k for doing that.”

Penrith supremo, however, dismissed suggestions that the Rabbitohs were trying to sort the cap.

“I think it’s a really trivial argument, I mean I don’t care about it, I don’t care what they pay him,” he said.

“Greg Inglis has retired, I think we can all see, for legitimate reasons.

“This has not been some sort of salary cap play to get him to retire early so they can pay him money previously.

“This kid has walked away from the game. If he gets a job doing anything, I don’t care what they’re paying him. I want Greg Inglis looked after, I want his family looked after, he’s been a great servant of the game.

“Why would we want to weaken south Sydney because they’ve lost a great player and champion in Greg Inglis? This is not a rort.”

This is a strange one and reeks of hypocrisy in regards to the Farrah/Pascoe situation, we should take em to court.

I wonder if we got any salary cap disposition for Mat Balin , Liam Fulton, Jason Cayless,Taniela Tuiaki,Tim Moltzen and Simon Dwyer ... I'd have a guess and say NO.
This shit is a loophole breach for clubs with money to burn.... IF we want Latrine Mitchell offer him a 20 year contract and when he is busted we just get our cap space back...
FMD!! Do we get money back for the years players like Benji and Turdesco didnt play ? No ... it's all risk , sign a player for a long term deal and hope they last the distance... if they dont STIFF SHIT ! you made a stupid deal that didnt work out..

Vic Mackey

Referee
Just back from a ten year members function the club put on at Natwest stadium.

First thing the new stadium will blow you away. We were given a guided tour through the place and it’s brillant. Everyone for the two bob punter to the cooperate flyer will be happy with the new stadium.

Secondly the club should be congratulated, the function was first rate and we had a host of players talking on the stage and walking the floor. Brooks,Masters,Farah,Taylor,Lawrence, Matterson and more. All of them good kids and very humble.

Lawrence, injury has been slower than expected and he said he is only just back in the weights room. I say he would be about 80kg wringing wet. So I guess he is about 5 weeks away at best.

The vibe I got from the night was they are a very happy club at present

Sounds like a good night mate. Question, do you happen to know if all 10 Year Members we’re invited or was it only a selection? I’ve been a continuous member since 2003 yet I’ve never been invited to a 10 Year Member event. I see a couple every year on social media and wonder how it works? This season when I renewed my membership I asked them over the phone and they said they had me a 10 year member and Infact there were only 12 people on their books with longer memberships then mine. My dealings with the membership department have always been frustrating, the employees are lucky to have a brain between them, so wondering if it’s either total incompetence or just luck of the draw?

Vic Mackey

Referee

Marina Go today confirmed on Twitter that we go zero reduction in the cap from Farah being paid out, not a cent.

macnaz

Staff member
Sounds like a good night mate. Question, do you happen to know if all 10 Year Members we’re invited or was it only a selection? I’ve been a continuous member since 2003 yet I’ve never been invited to a 10 Year Member event. I see a couple every year on social media and wonder how it works? This season when I renewed my membership I asked them over the phone and they said they had me a 10 year member and Infact there were only 12 people on their books with longer memberships then mine. My dealings with the membership department have always been frustrating, the employees are lucky to have a brain between them, so wondering if it’s either total incompetence or just luck of the draw?
I would have a guess and say no one from our membership dept has even watched a game and apart from that they are total amateurs and to be honest it reflects badly on the club particularly when they are trying to compete with other clubs and codes for bussiness.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I would have a guess and say no one from our membership dept has even watched a game and apart from that they are total amateurs and to be honest it reflects badly on the club particularly when they are trying to compete with other clubs and codes for bussiness.

It’s honestly Ridiculous how hard it is to get anyone to speak to you. Unless you get lucky and someone answers the direct number (maybe 1 in every 3 or 4 times you ring) you won’t get them. They don’t return messages and don’t reply to emails.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I wonder if we got any salary cap disposition for Mat Balin , Liam Fulton, Jason Cayless,Taniela Tuiaki,Tim Moltzen and Simon Dwyer ... I'd have a guess and say NO.
This shit is a loophole breach for clubs with money to burn.... IF we want Latrine Mitchell offer him a 20 year contract and when he is busted we just get our cap space back...
FMD!! Do we get money back for the years players like Benji and Turdesco didnt play ? No ... it's all risk , sign a player for a long term deal and hope they last the distance... if they dont STIFF SHIT ! you made a stupid deal that didnt work out..
Why would you get salary cap disposition when you paid out their contracts?????? ?????? :rolleyes:

macnaz

Staff member
It’s honestly Ridiculous how hard it is to get anyone to speak to you. Unless you get lucky and someone answers the direct number (maybe 1 in every 3 or 4 times you ring) you won’t get them. They don’t return messages and don’t reply to emails.
As you said ... very very frustrating. Perhaps they should shift the role to Wests Ashfield where it would come under a far more professional umbrella.

The Rosco

Bench
I called them at 4.05 yesterday arvo. Phone rang out.
So I sent them an email and they replied early this arvo.
So could have been better for sure . . . but they did reply.
I've also sent them an email before, and they did reply the next day too.
But it sure is annoying when a business phone number rings out.